PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good point and shoot mini camera.

Cerwin Vega Fan
08-22-2004, 01:58 AM
I'm looking for a good compact camera that would make good point and shoot camera. Size is an important consideration since odds are I will have the camera on me while I'm at college. I have almost convinced myself the Minolta DiMAGE Xg is the best camera for the money, does anyone have any other good models they would like to recommend or would like to discuss their experience with the Xg?

Thanks

speaklightly
08-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Please think twice about the Minolta Xg. There are other excellent, but very small digital cameras that are nearly as small and which produce much better digital photos.

Take a look at the following:

Canon S410
Canon S500
HP R-707
Sony V-1
Sony W-1
Fuji E-550
Fuji F-700

Sarah Joyce

pyr3sayz
08-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Please think twice about the Minolta Xg. There are other excellent, but very small digital cameras that are nearly as small and which produce much better digital photos.

Take a look at the following:

Canon S410
Canon S500
HP R-707
Sony V-1
Sony W-1
Fuji E-550
Fuji F-700

Sarah Joyce

I've taken a look at a couple of those and I hear the DSC-V1 from Sony is a bit bulky in real life, but the Canon s500 and Sony DSC-W1 are smaller. I also wouldn't call the DSC-V1 'point and shoot' so much with all of it's features though I don't have hands-on experience.

Cerwin Vega Fan
08-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Thank you for the recommendations and I'm currently looking them up now. But one thing I have noticed so far is that each camera costs at least $125-$150 more then the Xg. I'm kind of on a college budget so I'm trying to get by cheap. :(

pyr3sayz
08-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Thank you for the recommendations and I'm currently looking them up now. But one thing I have noticed so far is that each camera costs at least $125-$150 more then the Xg. I'm kind of on a college budget so I'm trying to get by cheap. :(

That's because 4 of the cameras you mentioned are 5 megapixel (I don't know about the others, I've only started looking at some digital cameras). The Minolta Xg is 3.2 megapixel. That's your difference. If you want something closer to the price of the Minolta, look at the 3MP cameras or even 4MP cameras. I'm not too knowledgeable in that area, but hopefully someone else here is and can help you out with that.

mtpaper
08-23-2004, 06:20 AM
I'm also looking for inexpensive cameras with some level of quality as holiday gifts for my teens.

Take a look at the specs on the new Canon A400, which is coming out for a list price of $180. Perhaps it will meet your needs.

It uses rechargable batteries, or can take standard AA (in case the girls miscalculate battery usage).

It uses SD memory card, which other devices use as well.

It has a small amount of optical zoom, which is fine for their purposes (they're accustomed to using disposables without any zoom).

It can easily fit (I think) in a backpack or purse.

It has a postcard feature, which, altho I don't quite understand it, I think they'll use a lot for ease.

You can read about it here and at www.imaging-resource.com

HTH
Marion in Rochester

speaklightly
08-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Take a look at:

Canon A-300
Canon A-400
Canon A-60
Canon A-75

Stay away from
Vivitar