PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Advertisement Strategy

palmbook
03-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Just hurrying remove my files from my site. Yes, you think it right, those D50 and D70S stuff. I kept them for my personal use and they leaked into one news.

Funny thing is that every news says Nikon "accidentally" leaks those manuals on the internet. Well, you might think what is funny here. Back to Coolpixes announced last month, the same accident occured as one of European Nikon website updated these cameras on its front page. This time, two of Nikon sites (Germany and Asia) "accidentally" drop manuals in their servers.

See what is funny here yet? Two accidents in two months and two sites drop the same manuals at the same time.

In fact, I think this is not so new. Nikon might have used this strategy before. Also it is pretty effective as everyone keeps talking about new DSLRs now.

So, what for? Canon 350D is rocking the market and Nikon can't make it in time. D50 and D70S manuals just say "hey! wait! I'm here. Wait for me, otherwise you will regret".

Well, this is just my opinion. What's yours?

D70FAN
04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Just hurrying remove my files from my site. Yes, you think it right, those D50 and D70S stuff. I kept them for my personal use and they leaked into one news.

Funny thing is that every news says Nikon "accidentally" leaks those manuals on the internet. Well, you might think what is funny here. Back to Coolpixes announced last month, the same accident occured as one of European Nikon website updated these cameras on its front page. This time, two of Nikon sites (Germany and Asia) "accidentally" drop manuals in their servers.

See what is funny here yet? Two accidents in two months and two sites drop the same manuals at the same time.

In fact, I think this is not so new. Nikon might have used this strategy before. Also it is pretty effective as everyone keeps talking about new DSLRs now.

So, what for? Canon 350D is rocking the market and Nikon can't make it in time. D50 and D70S manuals just say "hey! wait! I'm here. Wait for me, otherwise you will regret".

Well, this is just my opinion. What's yours?

Yup. I think we all realize this is SOP at Nikon, and others as well. It's called an "unofficial announcement", and the guise of accidental release allows them to sneak by the official release channel to guage interest, without commiting to a release date. My guess is mid-May. The D70s will replace the D70. I still haven't had a chance to look at the "leeked" manual yet.

Believe me, Nikon and Canon both know what the other guy is up to 99% of the time.

If the 50D is introduced before summer, you can bet that development started more than 6+ months ago just to set up the supply chain and another production line in Thailand.

Nikon already had the answer to the XT when they lowered the price of the D70 (are you getting the idea here). The D50 was developed to do battle with the DReb (300D). And I'm betting that body, and a new kit lens, for $599.

The next step is a detuned 12MP CMOS sensor without the fast 2X crop (ala D2X) called the D120, for ~$1599. My bet is that Sony already has this sensor ready to go. My extended guess is that it will replace the D100, and maybe the D2H, and will look a lot like the D100 with a 2"-2.5" LCD. Probably not until the 2006 PMA, depending on the D50 and D70s results.

On the Canon side I would be willing to bet that Canon is trying to figure out how to use the 11.1MP full-frame CMOS sensor in their next pro-sumer dSLR to subplant the 20D in 2006. They may decide to lower the 20D to the $1000 zone, push the XT down to replace the DReb, and bring the full-frame 211D(?) in at the same price as the Nikon D120.

I'm already saving up my money for a D120. :rolleyes: Or maybe the 211D! By then the D70 just may be ready for replacement (don't let my wife see this). ;)