PDA

View Full Version : Getting Close to Buying the G6

mkgago
03-31-2005, 07:41 AM
I went out to the store yesterday to try out the G6, and I think I've found the camera for me (until i can afford a DSLR).

Does anyone have any warnings about it before I do so?

Also, if any G6 owners out there have suggestions about what accessories to buy with it, I'm all ears (this will be my first digital camera).

Thanks.

pairojvej
03-31-2005, 08:00 AM
The photo quality from G6 is superb :D , you will love it. I suggest you to buy a Canon Speedlite external flash, 220EX or 420EX, for your G6.

I bought 220EX, a spare battery, tripod, and 1GB compact Flash.

You could see my G6 photos at http://pairojvej.fotopic.net :p

I hope my photo collections could help. Anyway, if you can wait for at least 6 months, you may see the new G series from Canon. :confused:

Have fun with G6 ;)

mkgago
03-31-2005, 08:16 AM
nice shots, pairojvej! and thanks for the feedback and advice. Unfortunately, I can't wait 6 months--I've waited so long already to go digital, and now that I'm close to making a decision, I can't wait much longer.

The only thing that has me hesitating slightly about the G6 is that part of me says "spend $300 more and get a DSLR," and part of me says "spend $200 less and get an A95."

The former isn't really an option, unfortunately...but I'm curious--does everyone think the G6 is worth the $200 than the A95?

jbcm
03-31-2005, 08:36 AM
I got the G6 over the A95 Just because of the same reason as you are facing I wanted to go DSLR but well you know the $$ I think the G6 is well worth the extra $ over the A95 I love this camera and there is nothing I can find that I don't like about it. I would spend the money and get the Canon Speedlite 420EX that will swivle to bounce it off the wall or ceiling it makes all the difference in the world. This is the one thing that I got for the G6 that was the best investment so far. I know the 420EX is more money than the 220EX but you will wish you would of got the 420EX.

mkgago
03-31-2005, 08:59 AM
thanks, jbcm. I can't afford the flash right now, but in a few months, I'll try to pick it up.

I loved the size and feel of the G6 when I tried it...in comparison, the A95 did feel a little flimsy.

And this line from the DCRP review got me excited:

"If I just saw the photos taken by the G6 without knowing what camera they were from, I would've guessed that they came from a digital SLR -- they're that good."

G6 owners--is there a camera bag you recommend?

jbcm
03-31-2005, 09:27 AM
I went through the camera bag thing. I foung it very hard to find a bag that is small enough yet will hold everything that I have and am going to get in the future. I got the Canon Gadget Bag 2400 and love it. It will hold everything like the Speedlite and any other things lens adaptor extra lenses... you can get the bag at Best Buy or on line for a cheaper price. Just look up Canon Gadget Bag 2400.

haikai
03-31-2005, 09:59 AM
And this line from the DCRP review got me excited:

"If I just saw the photos taken by the G6 without knowing what camera they were from, I would've guessed that they came from a digital SLR -- they're that good."

being a g6 user myself, i would say that statement is accurate if you are able to photograph in the most ideal situations with plenty of light. i think it produces excellent results, but it's not going to consistently be putting out images on par with any DSLR (it's tough to compete with their superior high ISO performance).

the g6 had many of the features i needed and i think you'll enjoy it. the only real acccessory i've gotten for it is the wide angle lens. it does the job (considering the g6 doesn't start as wide as the competition), though i must admit that it's cumbersome and a bit expensive for something that i only use once in a while, and can't really be used on any other canon cameras.

in the coming months, i'll probably hand my g6 off to my brother so i can graduate to a DSLR. hope you enjoy your new cam as much as i did mine :)

hai

nowin
03-31-2005, 10:46 AM
Having used an original Digital Elph for some 4 or 5 years maybe, I finally got "un-thrifty" an bought a G6 last week. (I had narrowed down the field over the past 3 months to 1 or 2 others)

Memory: I had 2 256 CF cards for the Elph, but I bought a new Ultra II 512 CF for the G6, as I'll give one of the 256 Cfs and the Elph to my wife.

I purchased an extra battery (generic) pack too. There is no camera case included with the basic G6 (dunno if there is an option "kit" set), so look for one that suits your needs.

I like it. The controls are suitibly placed, and I've been able to one arm pictures rather quickly in short time. The added custom settings could be handy for those that can utilize the feature; I may not need them, but as my experience with the camera grows, I just may experiment more. Nice to have them there, imho.

It may be a bit more camera than I ever will need or use, but I'm glad I got it.

Eddie

mkgago
03-31-2005, 05:18 PM
thanks for the replies and good advice, nowin, haikai, and jbcm.

I'm so excited to buy this camera.

Alnath
04-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Only thing i have for my G6 is the canon softcase, still manage to get shots like this though http://members.aol.com/itsabelter/gull.jpg http://members.aol.com/itsabelter/frog.jpg

mkgago
04-01-2005, 09:08 AM
wow--that frog shot is pretty f'ing rad.

ReF
04-02-2005, 01:56 AM
what would worry me about buying a G6 is possibly outgrowing it in a few short months. i moved up from the A80 (a95's older sibling) in only 4 months and considered the G6, but was worried about replacing that too soon as well. i settled for a low budget 300D/D-rebel. i'm glad i made this choice because with interchangeable lenses, the camera was "able to keep up" with my growing needs. i wanted image stabilization, decent telephoto, wide angle, fast apertures, and i got it all with the purchase of lenses(at a price though). the best part is that the lenses would move with me to the next camera (body only), so when i "upgrade," i would actually be spending less that what my kit initially cost. i would recommend one of the entry level d-slrs. seriously, the old digital rebel (which is old but still better than the G6) is only an average of $630 for the body at most online dealers while the G6 is only $130 cheaper at $500. you can get the well rated Sigma 24-70mm f3.5-5.6 (38-112mm) for $105-$120 as a starter lens until you feel the need for more. not bad eh?
well if you didn't want to hear any of that, as accessories to the G6 i would recommend a 1gig compact flash, the Sunpak/Quantary 383 swivel flash (only about $95, much cheaper than the canon. you should look into it) the threaded adapter for filters/add on lenses, and maybe a spare battery. oh, yeah, if the G6 downloads as painfully slow as the Rebel and you don't have card readers, then i would really recommend one of those. i would also recommend shooting in RAW to get the most of your pictures, but when you're just starting off and getting the hang of the camera JPEG should be good enough.

speaklightly
04-02-2005, 09:43 AM
mkgago-

Among my albums, I have one of G-6 digital photos if you would like to see some examples. Just click on the link below:

www.digicamlady.smugmug.com/gallery/457048

Sarah Joyce

mkgago
04-02-2005, 05:42 PM
nice photos, speaklightly--thanks for the link.

ReF--look, I hear you. I hear you too well. But I'm already over my budget, and can't spend any more right now. Besides, it's too late--I already bought the G6.

Having said that, most reviews that I've read of the G6 don't make it sound like a camera that one grows out of as easily as a smaller camera, so I hope I'll be ok.

Also, I'm not going completely digital. In a very strange twist of fate, a very kind person is giving me his old darkroom equipment; in the coming months, I'm going to be setting up a darkroom in my basement. I've got some good older film cameras; hopefully, they'll ease the pain of not buying the dslr I wanted.

thanks for the accessory advice. unfortunately, I've already bought a 512 mb card...but I'll check into the flash you mentioned.

gary_hendricks
04-02-2005, 06:16 PM
The Powershot G6 is an excellent camera.

The only quirk I have about it (if it matters to you) is that:
1) ISO doesn't go beyond 400.
2) Only 4x optical zoom.
3) Noticeable shutter lag, I'd say about half a second.

ReF
04-03-2005, 01:33 AM
nice photos, speaklightly--thanks for the link.

ReF--look, I hear you. I hear you too well. But I'm already over my budget, and can't spend any more right now. Besides, it's too late--I already bought the G6.

Having said that, most reviews that I've read of the G6 don't make it sound like a camera that one grows out of as easily as a smaller camera, so I hope I'll be ok.

Also, I'm not going completely digital. In a very strange twist of fate, a very kind person is giving me his old darkroom equipment; in the coming months, I'm going to be setting up a darkroom in my basement. I've got some good older film cameras; hopefully, they'll ease the pain of not buying the dslr I wanted.

thanks for the accessory advice. unfortunately, I've already bought a 512 mb card...but I'll check into the flash you mentioned.

can't say you made a bad purchase. the G6 is IMO the best non-d-slr camera there is. about going over your budget, i hear YOU too. going with a high end digital is much better than not going digital at all or getting something cheapy. the 1gig is only recommended if you are shooting in RAW. it would be hard trying to fill up that 512 with JPEGs in a single day. hope you have fun taking great pictures :)

gary_hendricks
04-03-2005, 05:08 AM
The Powershot G6 is an excellent camera.

The only quirk I have about it (if it matters to you) is that:
1) ISO doesn't go beyond 400.
2) Only 4x optical zoom.

To qualify that (and to assure mkgago that he's made a good purchase), ISOs above 400 typically only appear in DSLRs. The 4x optical zoom will not limit day to day shooting, so no problems there. :)

ggw2000
04-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Does any know the 35MM equivalent of the G6 at wide angle? In the area of 30-35mm? Thanks, Gerry

Alnath
04-04-2005, 10:07 AM
the G6 lens is 35 to 140MM 35mm equivelent.

I got a nice shot of a bee yesterday, yet again showing what a good piece of kit the G6 is i think :) http://members.aol.com/itsabelter/bee.jpg

Alnath
04-04-2005, 10:11 AM

Set the camera up on one of the custom settings to its hyperfocal distance and you will have one of the fastest cameras on the planet.

gary_hendricks
04-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Set the camera up on one of the custom settings to its hyperfocal distance and you will have one of the fastest cameras on the planet.

Hey thanks Alnath, for the wonderful tip there. :)

Alnath
04-04-2005, 12:16 PM
It would have been nicer had i posted a link LOL, sorry :o here is how to do it on a G3 but its the same for the G6 http://www.marcjutras.com/ehyperfocal.html

Overzeetop
04-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I can't say about the A95 vs the G6...I opted for the G6, though sometimes wish I had the A95. I got it after trying out a Minolta x50 which was super easy to use, but produced the most gawd-awful pictures (noisy, noisy, noisy).

First., let me say that this camera takes wonderful pictures. Crisp, detailed, low noise. The focus is slow, but by pre-focusing the shutter release is quite quick. I'm going to try the hyper-focal trick this weekend.

One thing to worry about if you're a klutz like me is that the front element is bare and there's no way to protect it. The cap tends to slip off with minimal pressure and there are no thread rings for a UV filter. Yikes and double yikes were my first two thoughts.

So what should I do? Naturally, I dropped another $40 on the lens adapter so I could pair it with a 58(?)mm filter (yet another $25). Well, the adapter is pretty bulky, as it has to be wide enough to not vignette with the lens at min focal length, but long enough that the lens can extend to full length without it impacting the filter. It adds significant bulk.

But it gets worse. Whatever genius decided to omit filter threads on the lens was probably the same numbskull who designed the lens adapter to block the on-camera flash. Yup...with the lens adapter on, the flash is blocked from illuminating about a quarter of the frame in the lower-right had corner.

I've been using the adapter as a lenscap in any situations that require a flash (that bayonet mount has been getting quite a workout!). It looks like I'll get the 420ex soon so I can leave the filter on all the time to protect the lens. I only paid about $375 for the camera, so my accessories (batteries, adapter, filter, flash) are going to end up close to the cost of the camera - and will double the size of my "little portable".

Now you know why I sometimes wonder if the A95 wouldn't have been a better choice!

pairojvej
04-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks Alnath, your great tip brights up my G6 in the dark. :)

http://pairojvej.fotopic.net
My web was inspired by you. Thanks again.

stema
04-08-2005, 02:35 AM
I don't know, just asking, isn't the 7.2mm focal length should be converted into 35mm? I didn't think about it, but using it as it is seems to be misleading, well for me, I didn't try it yet.

It would have been nicer had i posted a link LOL, sorry :o here is how to do it on a G3 but its the same for the G6 http://www.marcjutras.com/ehyperfocal.html

pairojvej
04-08-2005, 07:50 AM
I just tried my G6 settings: widest zoom position, Av mode, manual focus at 1.5m (5ft.), aperture at F5.6, and using external flash 220EX. I took 6 shots in my house. The hyperfocal matter is true. :eek:

Everythings within 1m (~3ft.) to infinity are in focus. Try it yourself and you will wonder it.

No blur pictures in dim light anymore :D

http://pairojvej.fotopic.net

Alnath
04-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Congratulations on owning the best PAS camera in the world LOL

Alnath
04-08-2005, 10:15 AM
I don't know, just asking, isn't the 7.2mm focal length should be converted into 35mm? I didn't think about it, but using it as it is seems to be misleading, well for me, I didn't try it yet.

I have mine set to fully zoomed out (widest) F4.5 and 5 feet and everything remains in focus.

Asher Moses
04-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Hey guys,

Perhaps you can help me. I'm just about to buy a G6 but have a few technique questions. If you could take a look at the below thread that would be excellent!

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7091

zero
04-16-2005, 10:17 AM

Hey whats a hyperfocal distance? I hear people saying that this indeed works for the G6 but I am confused.