PDA

View Full Version : Nikon to release new D-SLR!

wingsley
03-31-2005, 05:49 AM
Nikon to release new range of digital SLR cameras
By Paul Kallender, IDG News Service

Nikon Corp. is planning to release a new range of digital SLR (single lens reflex) cameras, including a model called the D50, the company said Thursday.

Word of the D50's impending launch first emerged when it was discovered that a copy of the user's manual for the camera had recently been uploaded in error onto one of the company's Web sites. The manual was soon taken down.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03/31/nikon/index.php

Cold Snail
03-31-2005, 08:15 AM
Word of the D50's impending launch first emerged when it was discovered that a copy of the user's manual for the camera had recently been uploaded in error onto one of the company's Web sites. The manual was soon taken down.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03/31/nikon/index.php

Not before a load of us got our hands on it and the D70s one as well.

sarcazmo
03-31-2005, 08:58 AM
From what I've read, the D70s doesn't seem to be much of a step up from the regular D70.

D70FAN
03-31-2005, 10:56 AM
From what I've read, the D70s doesn't seem to be much of a step up from the regular D70.

I haven't had a chance to read throught the D70s data sheet, but from my point of view there wasn't a whole lot to improve on. I even had the opportunity to shift to the 20D (and still can) but I just haven't found a compelling reason.

Maybe they have cleaned up the noise a little at higher ISO. I dunno. What do you all think? (For the Texans in the crowd it's... all y'all think?) ;)

sarcazmo
03-31-2005, 01:27 PM
All I know is I'll be pissed if the price of the current D70 plummets due to the fact I just bought one... ;)

I'm hoping Nikon releases something to compete with the 20D (hell of a camera) in the near future.

Cold Snail
03-31-2005, 01:30 PM
All I know is I'll be pissed if the price of the current D70 plummets due to the fact I just bought one... ;)

I'm hoping Nikon releases something to compete with the 20D (hell of a camera) in the near future.

Read this (http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0QUALS7DPD4PJ29R3O874BGVB0)

I'm sure in this respect, our D70's will still be worth something.

eagle17
03-31-2005, 05:35 PM
the d50 looks almoast identical to the current d70 minus one or two features...

are there any new features over the existing d70 (if any one would like to speculate :rolleyes: )

jamison55
04-01-2005, 06:16 AM
Just had a chance to peruse the D50 manual...and it looks like a D70 with an SD card slot instead of a CF, and missing the front nav wheel. Uninspiring, unless Nikon is planning to out-Canon, Canon and release it for $700 (with the new, cheaper kit lens).

Now before you Nikonians get all upset about me calling it uninspiring, let me preface the coversation by saying that I think the D70 is the finest camera you can currently buy for $1K. In several ways it is even superior to the 20D that I presently use (better flash metering, and 1/500 sec flash sync). It is a pro level camera in almost every way. A slightly dumbed down D70 would be great consumer entry...at $700.

Unfortunately, given Nikon's pricing policies in the past, I don't see that happening. I predict that Nikon will release the D50 kit as a direct competitor to the Rebel XT at $999. It will be a good matchup, with the Nikon build quality and somewhat advanced features competing against the lower noise 8MP sensor of the smaller, lighter weight XT. However, who would want to buy a D50 kit at $999, when you can buy a superior D70 kit for the same price? I have a theory about that as well...

When Nikon released the D70, they were attempting to build a camera that would stand head and shoulders above the Canon Digital Rebel, which had a significant head start, for about the same price point. They succeeded...too well, and shot themselves in the mid-range consumer foot! The D70 was a superior camera to the DReb (in every area except picture quality :D - and that difference was marginal). In fact, price/feature wise it was a worthy opponent to the 10D. It was so good, in fact, that in many ways it was superior to the older D100 (higher flash sync speed, better continuous mode). I only have anecdotal evidence to back this up, but I imagine that sales of the D100 dropped significantly after the release of the D70 (I sometimes work for a company that shoots college grads. Last year they issued D1h's and D100's. This year they are issuing D70's. The D1's broke down all the time, and the D70's are better than the D100's for less money). As the dust cleared in the DSLR battle last year, Canon had a solid entry level model (the DReb) and a solid semi-pro model (the 10D). Nikon had a solid 2 solid semi-pro models (the D70 and D100), but no real consumer model.

So now Nikon is playing catch-up of sorts. I predict that the D50 will fill the gap as their "consumer" model at $999 (with the new kit lens), and compete with the DReb XT - a great match since they both bring significant strengths and weaknesses to the table. I further predict that the D70s will move up a rung to compete with the 20D for semi-pro $$$, and that Nikon will up the price for the D70s kit. Add a few features (such as an PC connector for external strobes), and undercut the 20D by about $100-$200, and we have a match-up. Unfortunately, I think that Nikon would have been better served to release a 9MP D200 in this space, since it is going to have to overcome the public's perception that the D70 is a "consumer" camera.

The moral of this story...buy a sub-$1000 D70 while you can boys (and girls).

wingsley
04-01-2005, 10:06 AM
With all this talk of the Nikon D70 in this thread, and how wonderful the D70 is, I'm curious: Did someone figure out how to overcome the moire issue that Jeff Keller and others discovered in their reviews? I've been thinking about getting a DSLR, and looking at the Canons. The Nikon D70 definitely catches the eye, but there's that moire issue.

Ray Schnoor
04-01-2005, 10:08 AM
With all this talk of the Nikon D70 in this thread, and how wonderful the D70 is, I'm curious: Did someone figure out how to overcome the moire issue that Jeff Keller and others discovered in their reviews? I've been thinking about getting a DSLR, and looking at the Canons. The Nikon D70 definitely catches the eye, but there's that moire issue.

I personally think that the moire issue is overblown. I have had a D70 for almost a year and have yet to notice moire in any photos.

Ray.

D70FAN
04-01-2005, 01:28 PM

If you shoot a lot of screen doors, you might have a problem. Most of us were aware of the moire' effect possibility in the D70 from day one. But for 99.9% of the day-to-day shooting its not a factor. Like Ray I have been shooting the D70 for over a year, and have only had this happen a few times and very minor. Post processing can take care of it.

Apparently Nikon decided to go for better image sharpness in the anti-aliasing filter at the risk of introducing minor moire'. It worked.

So if window screens, screen doors, or fine cross-patterns are your targets it could be a problem.

Manwich
04-13-2005, 03:53 PM
If you shoot a lot of screen doors, you might have a problem. Most of uswere aware of the moire' effect possibility in the D70 from day one. But for 99.9% of the day-to-day shooting its not a factor. Like Ray I have been shooting the D70 for over a year, and have only had this happen a few times and very minor. Post processing can take care of it.

Apparently Nikon decided to go for better image sharpness in the anti-aliasing filter at the risk of introducing minor moire'. It worked.

So if window screens, screen doors, or fine cross-patterns are your targets it could be a problem.

I've had my D70 for a year. I've shot just over 10,000 images with it. I have noticed the moire in exactly ONE of those images. So yeah... to me it's a completely overblown issue. :)

JubalH
04-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I've had my D70 for a year. I've shot just over 10,000 images with it. I have noticed the moire in exactly ONE of those images. So yeah... to me it's a completely overblown issue. :)

Does anyone have any examples of the moire effect? I'm just curious.

Ray Schnoor
04-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Does anyone have any examples of the moire effect? I'm just curious.

If you look in Jeff's review, he has a few examples towards the end.

Ray.