PDA

View Full Version : Converted some RAW files over to JPEG....

TheObiJuan
03-31-2005, 12:34 AM
This one was near my backyard in the woods...
shot at f/2.8 and 1/60 at ISO 200. I converted it with RawShooter Essentials 2005.
After converting I opened in CS to do some USM and convert to RGB, but I noticed that at 100 percent there was a lot of detail missing... There were jaggies and artifacts from comression present and the picture just looked horrible... what gives? I chose the maximum JPEG setting! My camera spits out much better files than the conversion software does.

here is the cropped version at 100%
http://img197.exs.cx/img197/7748/crapcrop24mv.jpg

here is the uncropped and resized version
http://img143.exs.cx/img143/5922/crapresized9dn.jpg

dwig
03-31-2005, 04:59 AM
You may be misunderstanding the main reason for using RAW; that is to avoid EVER having the image in the lossy, artifact-ridden JPEG format.

In general, you should convert RAW images to TIFF if you want a "universal" format for printing or, for screen display, BMP (Win only) or PNG. If you need Web images, then JPEG is the choice, but understand that the default settings in the RAW conversion software may not be the right choice for your images. They may include a higher level or edge sharpening that you want. This is where there is commonly a difference between the external RAW conversion software and the camera's internal RAW-to-JPEG conversion routines.

Bluedog
03-31-2005, 05:03 AM
Not for sure if this is right but after editing my RAW shots I saved them from the software to a Converted Folder then opened them with PS Elements 2. Chose the Resize option and saved as a .jpg. Then for Forum purposes I resized a copy with PSE and resized to 800x533. Didn't seem to loose any quality that I saw.

GlennD
03-31-2005, 05:41 AM
When using Raw Shooter for RAW conversons, you can setup the program to open CS and load your converted image as a TIFF file which is not compressed. Then you can complete your workflow and save as a TIFF, JPEG of any of the other listed formats.

You must remember that RAW files are unprocessed. Although I've tried RAW Essentials I don't see any advantages and it's still a work in progress. I have used CS Camera Raw with great success, but you must learn how to use it. Bruce Fraser has a great book on setting up and using Camera RAW.

I now perfer Canon's DPP Ver. 1.6.1. It does a great job is setting White Balance and then transfer the 16 bit TIFF file to Photoshop where I finish my workflow. My personal PS worKflow for most images is Noise Ninja, Shadows/Highlights, Levels or Curves, Sharpening with EasyS and converting to 8 bits and saving as a JPEG file. This works for most images if I didn't screw up the exposure!

I think one of the problems you have with the top image is over sharpening.

For what ever it's worth, that's my opinion.

Glenn

This one was near my backyard in the woods...
shot at f/2.8 and 1/60 at ISO 200. I converted it with RawShooter Essentials 2005.
After converting I opened in CS to do some USM and convert to RGB, but I noticed that at 100 percent there was a lot of detail missing... There were jaggies and artifacts from comression present and the picture just looked horrible... what gives? I chose the maximum JPEG setting! My camera spits out much better files than the conversion software does.

here is the cropped version at 100%
http://img197.exs.cx/img197/7748/crapcrop24mv.jpg

here is the uncropped and resized version
http://img143.exs.cx/img143/5922/crapresized9dn.jpg

eagle17
03-31-2005, 06:50 AM
I agree I think you are over sharpening. also try DPP to convert to jpg and set the sharpness setting to 1. this would be more of what your camera is outputting.

If you have any more questions please post I would be happy to help.

TheObiJuan
03-31-2005, 01:11 PM
DPP doesn't work for some reason...
I will try uninstalling and reinstalling agian.
I wanted it in JPEG to see how the image compared to the +jpeg that the camera captured. I use RAW to pull more highlights and details out of my images, and to correct WB a lot easier.
I have backups of all my RAW files, but convert so that I can open them for slideshows and print out.

eagle17
03-31-2005, 03:27 PM
if you set you dpp settings as camera shot you sould see the same jpg with it as you have with the in camera settings.

did you get the new dpp 1.6? I only have 1.5...

TheObiJuan
03-31-2005, 03:28 PM
dpp 1.6. I will uninstall and reinstall it tonight.