PDA

View Full Version : 1 Lens for XT for Sports

xctruckee
03-30-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm about to buy a Rebel XT, mainly because of the price and small size for the quality. I do a lot of ski/hike photography. Originally I had looked at getting the Kit lens and adding a Canon 70-300 zoom to it, but I think I would be best off getting a single zoom that will travel either 28-200 or 28-300 or thereabouts. I'm interested in getting ONE lens that will "do it all," so to speak. I HATE having to switch lens out in the backcountry constantly.

Am I making a mistake here? The important considerations for me are: cost, size, weight, glass quality, and auto-focus ability, not all necessarily in that order. I'd like to get away with a ~200 lens, but I think I would probably be happier going up to a 300. The camera I currently have is the Fuji S602 with a 6x lens, and I definitely am interested in something substantially longer than that (although I'm not entirely sure what the 6x equates to in digital mm).

I recently looked at a Sigma 28-300 lens, which definitely impressed me with its 1) price and 2) size, but I don't know anything about the quality. All opinions and help are welcome! Any other lenses out there I should consider. People have told me to stick with Canon glass, but I don't think they make a 28-300 that is in my budget/weight class.

Thanks,

Mark

TheObiJuan
03-31-2005, 01:04 AM
weight around for the sigma and tamron 18-200 reviews to come around.
the optical quality isn't near perfect, and they are slow lenses, but they are small, light, and fairly inexpensive.

Ray Schnoor
03-31-2005, 06:41 AM
I'd like to get away with a ~200 lens, but I think I would probably be happier going up to a 300. The camera I currently have is the Fuji S602 with a 6x lens, and I definitely am interested in something substantially longer than that (although I'm not entirely sure what the 6x equates to in digital mm).

The Fuji S602 zoom is equivalent to 35 - 210 mm. The Sigma 28 -300 mm on a Canon Digital Rebel would be equivalent to 45 - 480 mm. The new 18 -200 mm lenses coming out this spring would be equivalent to 29 - 320 mm. I am looking forward to trying the Tamron and Sigma 18 - 200 mm lenses myself. This past winter, I would bring a Sigma 70 - 300 on my D70 skiing with me, but I really missed having anything wider than 105 mm equivalent. I also didn't feel comfortable changing lenses out in the snow.

Ray.

eagle17
03-31-2005, 08:07 AM
the tamron 18-200 looks pretty good but is out of stock everywhere.. (other wise I would order one right now.)

the 28-300 wouldn't be too bad but i agree that you would really miss the wide angle you have now with the kit lens..

and of course I can say that the 18-125 is a great lens but it does have its issues too. you can find a little CA(purple fringing whith high contrast area in the shot) in the edges and some small flare issues, but it is really sharp and has such a great rang that I find myself unable to sell it.. in face I have been toying with the idea to pick up a cheap used Dreb just to use with this lens all the time as a great throw in the car type of camera.

Ray Schnoor
03-31-2005, 08:15 AM
the tamron 18-200 looks pretty good but is out of stock everywhere.. (other wise I would order one right now.)

What camera do you have? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=363593&is=REG lists the lens in stock for Canon cameras, but not for Nikon cameras.

Ray.

xctruckee
03-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Knowing the way I shoot, I really don't think I will miss the 18-28 range of the wide angle on the zoom. I hardly ever take anything wide it seems.

I guess the basic question then is: is the quality of the Tamron or Sigma as good or better than the Canon lenses, especially with the speed of the autofocus, which is critical for me? If so, which one would be a better option?

D70FAN
03-31-2005, 09:02 AM

the 28-300 wouldn't be too bad but i agree that you would really miss the wide angle you have now with the kit lens..

and of course I can say that the 18-125 is a great lens but it does have its issues too. you can find a little CA(purple fringing whith high contrast area in the shot) in the edges and some small flare issues, but it is really sharp and has such a great rang that I find myself unable to sell it.. in face I have been toying with the idea to pick up a cheap used Dreb just to use with this lens all the time as a great throw in the car type of camera.

Many of the high contrast shots I have seen so far with the Tamron have more CA than I have seen with the 18-125. In fact I'm surprised as CA has never been a problem used with the D70, and is one of the reasons I really like the lens. As for flare I ony see it when I forget to turn the lens hood around. ;) And again rarely.

It just shows how hard it is to recommend a lens. Different cameras, and shooting styles can have a dramatic affect on the outcome.

On this note: I received a notice from Sigma that their 18-200 will be on store shelves around the middle of April with an MSRP of $600. Hopefully the extra $200 over the cost of the Tamron means it's "better".

Ray Schnoor
03-31-2005, 09:08 AM
On this note: I received a notice from Sigma that their 18-200 will be on store shelves around the middle of April with an MSRP of $600. Hopefully the extra $200 over the cost of the Tamron means it's "better".

Hopefully the Sigma will be about the same price or lower than the Tamron, as it's List Price/MSRP? is $726.

Ray.

D70FAN
03-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Hopefully the Sigma will be about the same price or lower than the Tamron, as it's List Price/MSRP? is $726.

Ray.

That's a pretty big difference! Usually MSRP is 20% higher than street. Maybe the MSRP was published before Sigma announced their 18-200.

Just shows-ta-go-ya.

eagle17
03-31-2005, 04:25 PM
george, I'll post a link when I get home of the ca it is really not that bad but does show up a little.

as far as the tamron I went to lunch at the camera store to buy it and took some shots with both my 18-125 sigma and the 18-200 tamron... all I can say is meh, I am not impressed not for the extra $170. i will stick with my sigma as the metal mount and build quality feels MUCH better.

speaklightly
03-31-2005, 07:26 PM
I have done some sports photos with the Tokina 24-200mm lens and I have been very pleased with the result.

'Had to use ISO 3200 to pull it off with my Canon 20D, but I got some good photos.

Sarah Joyce