PDA

View Full Version : Question

Shenook
03-30-2005, 01:30 PM
I have a stupid question.

What in the world is a digital back?

I hear miyama is coming out with some Digital SLR at 22mp and some digital back.

Anyone explain to a newbie what a digital back is?

D70FAN
03-30-2005, 04:46 PM
I have a stupid question.

What in the world is a digital back?

I hear miyama is coming out with some Digital SLR at 22mp and some digital back.

Anyone explain to a newbie what a digital back is?

In most medium and full frame cameras (like 120/220) there is a camera back which holds the film cartridge which is attached to the back of the camera. A digital back is simply a digital replacement for that film back.

Here is an example:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/kodak_dcs645proback.html

Here is the Luminous-Landscape- Phase One blurb:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/p25-field.shtml

Kodak, Fuji, Phase One, and now Mamiya all make these medium format digital backs. Cost? Around $25,000+.

sherlock
03-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Hey George,

I also have a question on digital backs. Why are they sooo expensive? Is it because the sensor is so big?

Andrew S.

D70FAN
03-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey George,

I also have a question on digital backs. Why are they sooo expensive? Is it because the sensor is so big?

Andrew S.

Yes. I think the sensor size is 40mm x 60mm (2400 square mm is a huge die) if memory serves me right. That means lower yields and fewer die per wafer even on a 300mm wafer. In addition the backs have to be extremely accurate, and fairly compact.

Also, the volumes are far smaller than 35mm full frame and APS-C, so even though there are 4 players in the market, there may only be 1 or 2 suppliers that can fab and package these. But at $25,000 I'd be willing to bet there is a little profit. ;)

Shenook
03-30-2005, 09:47 PM
That answers that. Thanks for the info. That's way out of my league and they look semi-monsterous anyway.

I see your quote. Once you go DSLR you don't go back. hehe

I guess I'll keep a way a bit longer until the next PMA at least :)

D70FAN
03-31-2005, 05:07 AM
That answers that. Thanks for the info. That's way out of my league and they look semi-monsterous anyway.

I see your quote. Once you go DSLR you don't go back. hehe

I guess I'll keep a way a bit longer until the next PMA at least :)

A day without a dSLR is like a day without sunshine...or something like that. :rolleyes:

I wish you luck on waiting until the next PMA.