PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Easysh 7590 vs Panason Lumix FZ10

blaisejedi
08-21-2004, 12:46 PM
I have a Fuji 3800 and I would like to buy a camera with more features (including higher optical zoom and manual options which I hope to learn to use someday). Kodak is coming out with the Easyshare 7590 (in Sept?) which is 5MP and 10x optical zoom. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 is 4MP with a 12x optical zoom with OPTICAL STABILIZATION (ooo, ahhh). I like to take nature/animal pix and would like to blow-up beyond 8x10. I'm a little crunched for time since I'm leaving on a cruise 9/17 and have no idea when "in September" the kodak 7590 will be released. Thoughts?

speaklightly
08-21-2004, 05:09 PM
I own both the Kodak DX-6490 (4mp - 10X optical zoom) and the Panasonic FX-10 which we call the monster. Please understand that the FZ-10 is a very physically large digital camera. An indicator is that it uses 72mm filters. The Fz-10 is a good digital camera, but we do not use it much due to its huge size.

The Kodak DX-6490 has a really advantage. It is now very attractively priced on the internet now at $US 330 to $US 340. That is a full $US 160 or more LESS than Kodak's new 5mp - 10X optical zoom digital camera.

There is not much difference between 4mp and 5mp in the kodak cameras. Because of it's smaller size we have used the Kodak DX-6490 a lot and we are extremely pleased with the results.

Sarah Joyce

John_Reed
08-21-2004, 05:48 PM
I have a Fuji 3800 and I would like to buy a camera with more features (including higher optical zoom and manual options which I hope to learn to use someday). Kodak is coming out with the Easyshare 7590 (in Sept?) which is 5MP and 10x optical zoom. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 is 4MP with a 12x optical zoom with OPTICAL STABILIZATION (ooo, ahhh). I like to take nature/animal pix and would like to blow-up beyond 8x10. I'm a little crunched for time since I'm leaving on a cruise 9/17 and have no idea when "in September" the kodak 7590 will be released. Thoughts?I think Sarah Joyce's purse is not very large; my wife put my FZ10 in her purse just last evening, and there was still room for her other things. As far as the "72mm filters" are concerned, yes, if you screw them into the lens hood, that's the diameter. But if you (as most owners have) buy a Pemaraal 62mm adapter, then you can use the much smaller 62mm filters. (I use the Pemaraal PD62 adapter with a 62-55 stepdown ring to mount my Olympus TCON-17 lens, which then gives me a 700mm stabilized optical zoom length) If you're thinking of capturing wildlife shots, bird shots, etc., the image stabilization feature of the FZ10 is invaluable. IS helps all the way down to low focal lengths as well, giving you sharp indoor shots in museums, churches, etc., where the Kodak would yield a much higher percentage of blurry shots. This camera is way smaller than most 35mm cameras, so I can't accept its being described as "huge."

Ladislav
08-25-2004, 08:32 PM
I have had the DX 6490, and I was very pleased with it. I sold it only because I wanted a new camera with more features. I did researched the
FZ 10, and I am not impressed much. Most full zoom and low light images are noisy/grainy..I spent a month on the Panasonic forums, and checked user galleries. Most wildlife pics were not acceptable as keepers IMHO..in low light or zoom/IS pics.
I do not think that IS is that much of a help with the FZ 10. So why carry the extra bulk. Maybe the new FZ 20 will be better. I wait and see. If not I go back to the new DX 7590.
If I could afford it I would go for the Minolta A 1 or 2..or Sony 717, 828.

Regards, Les

John_Reed
08-25-2004, 10:35 PM
I have had the DX 6490, and I was very pleased with it. I sold it only because I wanted a new camera with more features. I did researched the
FZ 10, and I am not impressed much. Most full zoom and low light images are noisy/grainy..I spent a month on the Panasonic forums, and checked user galleries. Most wildlife pics were not acceptable as keepers IMHO..in low light or zoom/IS pics.
I do not think that IS is that much of a help with the FZ 10. So why carry the extra bulk. Maybe the new FZ 20 will be better. I wait and see. If not I go back to the new DX 7590.
If I could afford it I would go for the Minolta A 1 or 2..or Sony 717, 828.

Regards, LesWell, you're certainly entitled to your opinions. I would just say that it's not the IS system that would make the FZ10 more bulky, it's the faster, longer lens itself. But by all means, choose the camera that makes you happy. Anything less would be a mistake!