PDA

View Full Version : Going dSLR

blackphnx
03-30-2005, 08:30 AM
im now planning to buy a dSLR camera... my friends are suggesting me to buy either Nikon D70 or D100... but i also want your opinion... the thing is i think those models of Nikon are just 6MP or something... im thinkin of buying like 7 or 8MP. currently im using DSC-V3 which is 7.2MP. im intereseted in glamour/portrait/ad photography...

thanks for any suggestions.

MrForgetable
03-30-2005, 08:54 AM
how much are you willing to spend? i think the new Rebel XT has 8mp for about the same price as the D70.

jbcm
03-30-2005, 09:02 AM
I would recommend the Canon 20D I know a few people who have this camera and are pro. They cant say enough good about it. Here is a great web address to read about it.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/20d.html

jamison55
03-30-2005, 09:08 AM
how much are you willing to spend? i think the new Rebel XT has 8mp for about the same price as the D70.

Don't let George hear you say that ;)

speaklightly
03-30-2005, 10:18 AM
As most of you know, I am a Canon 20D owner as well. In fairness, we have to admit that the Nikon D-70 has many advanced features that make it a worthy candidate, as does the Pentax 1stDS, and the Konica-Minolta Maxuum 7D.

Check them, all out and them make a studied decision, based on your likes and needs. It is better to use a digital camera you really like, than one that is popular.

SZarah Joyce

jamison55
03-30-2005, 11:05 AM
All joking aside, the D70 at $1K is about the best price/performance deal you are going to get. If I were looking to buy my first DSLR right now, it would probably get my money. It competes really well with the Canon 20D for about $600 less. With the money you save you could purchase a decent lens or two and/or an external flash (to take advantage of Nikon's superior flash metering and high sync speed).

On the other hand, I'm notoriously cheap, so I might buy the older Digital Rebel (300D). Talk about value, it still takes great pictures and you have a TON of money left over for lenses ($1000) vs buying a 20D.

Don't get me wrong, I use a 20D and love it. It was the only logical upgrade for me given the investment I already had in Canon. I just think the D70 is a better value at current prices for most people, and the old DReb is even better.

I'd wager that an old Digital Rebel with a $600 Canon 17-40 f4L + a $400 Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (total cost $1600) will outshoot a 20D with a kit lens (total cost $1600) any day of the week and twice on Sunday (given the same level of skill from the photographer shooting of course)!

PS - 6 vs 8 megapixels is no big deal. Both will shoot circles around your 7MP Sony.

TheObiJuan
03-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Don't let George hear you say that ;)

hahahaha :D

God, I love this forum...

The XT is a great option for someone who is barely getting into the DSLR market, like me. :D
The D70 is a great alternative as is the 7D. The anti-shake technology is awesome, and sure will help with low light photography. KM just dropped the price of the camera to around $1300 btw.
IS is great, but with great ISO performance and a steady hand, my XT hasn't needed any of that technology. I do a lot of low light photography btw.

D70FAN
03-30-2005, 04:05 PM
As most of you know, I am a Canon 20D owner as well. In fairness, we have to admit that the Nikon D-70 has many advanced features that make it a worthy candidate, as does the Pentax 1stDS, and the Konica-Minolta Maxuum 7D.

Check them, all out and them make a studied decision, based on your likes and needs. It is better to use a digital camera you really like, than one that is popular.

SZarah Joyce

Hi Sarah, In an effort to not make disparaging remarks I have decided to rewrite my reply. I was reminded that I have been somewhat of a Nikon Nazi recently where the XT was concerned. Even though that was not my original intent.

D70FAN
03-30-2005, 04:53 PM
All joking aside, the D70 at $1K is about the best price/performance deal you are going to get. If I were looking to buy my first DSLR right now, it would probably get my money. It competes really well with the Canon 20D for about $600 less. With the money you save you could purchase a decent lens or two and/or an external flash (to take advantage of Nikon's superior flash metering and high sync speed).

On the other hand, I'm notoriously cheap, so I might buy the older Digital Rebel (300D). Talk about value, it still takes great pictures and you have a TON of money left over for lenses ($1000) vs buying a 20D.

Don't get me wrong, I use a 20D and love it. It was the only logical upgrade for me given the investment I already had in Canon. I just think the D70 is a better value at current prices for most people, and the old DReb is even better.

I'd wager that an old Digital Rebel with a $600 Canon 17-40 f4L + a $400 Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (total cost $1600) will outshoot a 20D with a kit lens (total cost $1600) any day of the week and twice on Sunday (given the same level of skill from the photographer shooting of course)!

PS - 6 vs 8 megapixels is no big deal. Both will shoot circles around your 7MP Sony.

With the boot-leged firmware upgrade the 300D is looking like a very good alternative to the XT. ;) And in fact I recommended this to a freind who has a few old Canon lenses, and he loves it. The new firmware really makes a difference. :)

jamison55
03-30-2005, 05:31 PM
With the boot-leged firmware upgrade the 300D is looking like a very good alternative to the XT.

The bootleg firmware is a must. The FEC feature alone is worth the price of admission.

TheObiJuan
03-30-2005, 06:17 PM
I only stated that the D70 as an alternative, not as a lesser alternative.

D70FAN
03-30-2005, 06:47 PM
I only stated that the D70 as an alternative, not as a lesser alternative.

Update:

You are right.

TheObiJuan
03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
You sure do think your camera does or is a lot more than it is. It ain't no D2H. But I can understand where you come from. You spent all that money a while ago to purchase what is now, year-old-technology. Here comes Canon's new budget-oriented, plastic, and small DSLR, and its got you all wound up. Well, people have you wound up when they compare it to your almighty. :D

People will get over the XT craze once the new Nikon comes out, the answer to the 20d, as your camera surely isnt. Then the D70's price will drop even further, and more people will buy it, instead of the Canon.

blackphnx
03-31-2005, 01:22 AM
after reading all your post and reading the articles in the net... i still dont know... i want to kill myself... its a hard decision... :D anyweiz after making myself calm... i think i like the Canon 20D... but not sure yet.. its like 60% Canon and 40% D70... actually i just bought my DSC-V3 last month.. but i made a mistake which i regret right now and i can see my other "self" in dreams holding a torch and scythe and running after me... :( so sad... i wish i could sold that cam quickly and get a dSLR... im not saying V3 is bad.. its just ummm... it lacks something... i know im a still learning photography.. but i need something more which V3 doesnt have... :rolleyes:

jeisner
03-31-2005, 03:30 AM
mmm, I know the feeling, I bought a Kodak 6490 and then sold it after 2 months I then bought a Panasonic FZ20 and sold it aftr a month to buy my Pentax *ist DS, no buyers remorse with this camera though, it is what I was looking for the whole time.... ;-)

speaklightly
03-31-2005, 05:46 PM
I probably don't have enough "logged time" on the Nikon D-70, because we just received it 2 days ago. However, we do also own both the Canon 350 XT and the Canon 20D, in addition to the Nikon D-70. So we can give a small perspective.

Thus far, the Nikon D-70 has been very impressive. The ergonomics are excellent and the lenses (we have the Nikkor 28-75mm, the Nikkor 12-24mm, and the Nikkor 24-120 VR) are needle sharp.

Yes, the Nikon is 6mp and the canons are 8mp, that is true. However, when you pull them up on the computer they are very EQUAL images.

Sarah Joyce

TheObiJuan
04-01-2005, 03:09 AM
If you ever get tired of one of them, send one my way. :D
I wouldn't mind having a spare D70 to use for sports. The metal frame sure could take a beating, and the higher flash sync speed would allow nicer fill in flash at lower f/stops.

D70FAN
04-01-2005, 07:52 AM
I probably don't have enough "logged time" on the Nikon D-70, because we just received it 2 days ago. However, we do also own both the Canon 350 XT and the Canon 20D, in addition to the Nikon D-70. So we can give a small perspective.

Thus far, the Nikon D-70 has been very impressive. The ergonomics are excellent and the lenses (we have the Nikkor 28-75mm, the Nikkor 12-24mm, and the Nikkor 24-120 VR) are needle sharp.

Yes, the Nikon is 6mp and the canons are 8mp, that is true. However, when you pull them up on the computer they are very EQUAL images.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah, While it's nice to have all 3 of these, it has to be difficult to spend your picture taking talent testing cameras when the 20D is in your arsenal. So thanks for the effort.

D70FAN
04-05-2005, 04:14 PM
You sure do think your camera does or is a lot more than it is. It ain't no D2H. But I can understand where you come from. You spent all that money a while ago to purchase what is now, year-old-technology. Here comes Canon's new budget-oriented, plastic, and small DSLR, and its got you all wound up. Well, people have you wound up when they compare it to your almighty. :D

People will get over the XT craze once the new Nikon comes out, the answer to the 20d, as your camera surely isnt. Then the D70's price will drop even further, and more people will buy it, instead of the Canon.

Yup. Got caught up in the moment. Won't happen again.

MistyR75
04-05-2005, 05:44 PM
With the boot-leged firmware upgrade the 300D is looking like a very good alternative to the XT. ;) And in fact I recommended this to a freind who has a few old Canon lenses, and he loves it. The new firmware really makes a difference. :)

Would you mind explaining what you're referring to. I'm totally new to this market, but I'm considering the purchase of a 300D. (Although, I've gotta admit...not even sure what firmware IS :eek: ....maybe I should just stick to a non-SLR??) Thank you. ;)

MrForgetable
04-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Would you mind explaining what you're referring to. I'm totally new to this market, but I'm considering the purchase of a 300D. (Although, I've gotta admit...not even sure what firmware IS :eek: ....maybe I should just stick to a non-SLR??) Thank you. ;)

non-SLR cameras have firmware too :eek:

jamison55
04-06-2005, 03:23 AM

Firmware is the operating system of the computer inside a digital camera. Digital camera manufacturers often release updates for their cameras through firmware updates that are easy to install.

In the case of the 300D, Canon based it upon the more expensive 10D. It crippled many of the features of the 10D so that potential buyers would have an incentive to buy the more expensive model. An enterprising young Russian, however, figured out how to update the firmware and enable many if the 10D's features - such as flash exposure compensation and mirror lock up. These features really improve what is already the best value in DSLR's...

MistyR75
04-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Firmware is the operating system of the computer inside a digital camera. Digital camera manufacturers often release updates for their cameras through firmware updates that are easy to install.

In the case of the 300D, Canon based it upon the more expensive 10D. It crippled many of the features of the 10D so that potential buyers would have an incentive to buy the more expensive model. An enterprising young Russian, however, figured out how to update the firmware and enable many if the 10D's features - such as flash exposure compensation and mirror lock up. These features really improve what is already the best value in DSLR's...

Thanks for the info. And, is this update available to the average consumer? (If so, do you know for how much $?)

jamison55
04-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the info. And, is this update available to the average consumer? (If so, do you know for how much $?)

It is available for free. Google the term "Digital Rebel Firmware", and you should be able to find it.

gabester
04-06-2005, 10:29 PM
It is available for free. Google the term "Digital Rebel Firmware", and you should be able to find it.

Better yet, subscribe to the "Canondigicamhacking" groups on Yahoo and look at the files section (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canondigicamhacking/files/). There is the older "Wasia" firmware hack, and the "Undutchables" hack that builds upon the former. Mind you, these hacks don't give you full functionality but they increase the usability of the dReb. Also look for the FAQ for both, and other valuable PDFs, in the files.