PDA

View Full Version : Hey dSLR users what lenses are you using?

BadShoe
08-21-2004, 12:04 PM
I have the Canon Kit 18-55 and a Tameron 28-300.
I am very happy with both, I think the Tameron was a great value, works out to be something like 480 but I have found I can hand hold it with a little care.

Canon glass wasn't in the budget and to be honest I would rather have this lens and a nice flash than big Canon glass.

D70FAN
08-21-2004, 05:19 PM
I am very happy with both, I think the Tameron was a great value, works out to be something like 480 but I have found I can hand hold it with a little care.

Canon glass wasn't in the budget and to be honest I would rather have this lens and a nice flash than big Canon glass.

I use the Nikon D70 with (new) Sigma 18-125 f3.5-5.6 DC (replaces the 18-70 Nikkor), also a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF, and Nikkor 70-300 3.5-5.6 AF G.

I had the Tamron 28-300 but it did not work as well as the 70-300 Nikkor ($150). I was always wanting just a little more from the standard Nikkor 18-70 DX lens so I bought the Sigma and it works great. You might want to try it on your Canon as well. It will keep you from changing lenses every 2 minutes.

jamison55
08-22-2004, 05:39 PM
For the money, you can't beat the Canon f1.8 50mm Mark II. It is one of the sharpest pieces of glass you can own short of "L" lenses, has amazing light gathering ability at f1.8, and can be had for around $75 online. Best of all it is an 80mm on the DReb...perfect for portraits!

BadShoe
08-23-2004, 06:46 AM
hey jamison55

How could I forgot about the jamcam 3.0. The kids have a couple of them some place.

Rhys
08-23-2004, 07:40 AM

I was thinking of going dSLR and having a camera that would do what I want rather than having to work around what the camera will do - as with the all-in-ones. The reasons I didn't are based on lenses. I couldn't use my existing Nikon AIS lenses on a D70 so I didn't get one.

Now I see that was quite a good move, having tried IS on the S1. I see very little future now for non-IS AF lenses.

If and when I do go for a dSLR then I shall be getting manufacturer's own lenses and they'll all be IS. I'm not certain yet whether to go for Canon or Nikon. I like the 100% compatibility of the Canon digital lenses and the Canon film cameras. I see that as a great advantage. I also see a great advanatge with the Nikons of being able to put an AF Nikon lens onto an FM body. Having said that, Nikon's make a complete hash of its intercompatibility - so much so that they now confuse everybody.

Phiggys
08-28-2004, 05:25 AM
When I first looked into going digital I was fortunate to have not only a large collection of both Nikon MF and AF lenses.
But also a Canon Eos system with usm lenses covering from 20mm to 300mm.
So when I decided to go for a Dslr I was able to evaluate both systems.
I do a lot of weddings and a camera that had got a lot of good reviews was the Nikon based Fuji S1pro.
But at 3000 in the UK at that time I felt was just a little out my budget.
As luck would have it one of these came into my local dealers secondhand boxed mint with software etc.
I did a part exchange with one of my F5s and have never looked back.
I was able to use my existing SB flashguns and most of my Nikon MF and AF lenses.( it is very easy to check exposures with the histograms when using MF lenses) due to the fact you loose all metering with non chipped lenses.
I have shot several thousand frames now and it still going strong.
Lenses that I use are as follows.
MF lenses 15mm,17mm,24mm,50mm,85mm,105mm,300mm plus a couple of zooms.
The good thing about Nikon or Nikon based Dslrs is you can now pick up very cheaply high quality MF lenses.

AF lenses.
14mm up to 400mm.

erichlund
08-28-2004, 12:09 PM
Nikon D70 with the 18-70 Kit lens. My wishlist is a lot longer than my checkbook is flush with cash, so this will probably have to do for a while. I've decided I would rather wait than compromise on quality, so my wish list includes:

AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 G ED-IF VR (Ouch!)
AF-S 200-400 f/4 G IF-ED VR (Ouch!. Ouch!. Ouch!)
AF 50 f/1.4D (Okay, I can afford this one pretty soon)
AF 200 f/4.0 micro (Ouch!)

Eventually, I suspect that I will get something with the same range as the 18-70, but without the DX, because I figure Nikon will eventually put out a reasonably priced, full frame camera. But that is certainly down the road.

Cheers,
Eric

Big-H
09-03-2004, 03:37 PM
This I bought to go with my D100.
Absolutely NO regrets.
Only weakness is potential for vignetting, easily removed by software.
Other than...
very sharp
excellent colour
excellent contrast (i.e. not excessive)

I've not taken it off since I put it on...

Check out Yorkshire Holidays in my web site (http://www.howardleigh.me.uk) !

Howard