PDA

View Full Version : When will the Canon A95 be available in the U.S.?

SarasotaAg
08-21-2004, 08:31 AM
Does anyone know when the A95 will be available (at BestBuy-type venues, online, etc.)? Also, I'm about to make my first digital camera purchase (for my wife), and was pretty well sold on the A80 until I discovered it was being discontinued. I figure the A95 to be a winner, but have only seen one review (Steve's). Any input on the A95 would be appreciated!

Rhys
08-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know when the A95 will be available (at BestBuy-type venues, online, etc.)? Also, I'm about to make my first digital camera purchase (for my wife), and was pretty well sold on the A80 until I discovered it was being discontinued. I figure the A95 to be a winner, but have only seen one review (Steve's). Any input on the A95 would be appreciated!

It could be one of those things that never makes it to the US. Some models are made and are never sold in certain markets. Why is a mystery but that's life.

Jeff Keller
08-21-2004, 03:41 PM

The A95 will be available this month. I have one already so it should be soon.

SarasotaAg
08-23-2004, 04:50 PM
It is now available at Dell Home for 10% off until 9/1 and through today you can also get an extra 10% off using this code: 2S7FKT$978BW2J when you get your purchase over the $400 mark (we got a small camera bag with it for $14.. I also found it at 2-3 other online stores ready to ship for $399. good luck!

scottyja
08-23-2004, 08:06 PM
You can also order it through amazon.com. Their prices are rarely the cheapest, but I find their service (especially the return policy) second to none.

mrjes
08-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Theres a good review of the A95 at stevesdigicams.com. Click on "Breaking News". I think that I'm going to purchase this one myself. I had been considering the A80 but I was put off by the plastic case, small LCD and 4 megapixel resolution. The A95 addresses all of my concerns and as soon as I can buy it online at a somewhat reduced price I'm going to grab it.

goose
08-25-2004, 01:17 PM
I had plan to purchase the A80 but found it had being discontinued.
Have the A95 on order from Dell. I like the idea of the LCD screen being a
little larger.

im_dragon
08-25-2004, 07:31 PM
I too have just ordered the A95 from Dell. Paid $322.52. Probably not the best price, but I just need a digital camera right now. Details below:

Powershot A95 Qty: 1 Unit Price: $399.00
Dell Home Customers: Save 10% off Cameras!Expires on 2004-08-26 05:59:59- $39.90
ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS AND COUPONS
Dell Home Customers: Get free ground (3-5 day) shipping on peripheral items over $49!Expires on 2004-09-01 23:59:59- $6.00
Dell Home Customers: Save an ADDITIONAL 2% INSTANTLY by paying with Dell Preferred Account. (Subject to credit approval. Limited time offer.)Expires on 2004-10-31 23:59:00- $6.58
Dell Home Customers: Save $30 on Peripheral Purchases over $300! (Affiliate only online offer)Expires on 2004-08-25 23:59:59- $30.00

Sub-Total$322.52
Shipping Discount -$6.00
Shipping$0.00
Tax $0.00
Total$322.52

scottyja
08-26-2004, 01:24 PM
That's actually a great price! Can you give more details on the affiliate online offer? I was planning on getting an A95 when I could get it for less than $350, and this looks like a deal. Any additional details?

Thanks!

im_dragon
08-26-2004, 05:00 PM
I first saw the $30 coupon info at: http://www.ecoupons.com/

Next, I saw the same thing here:
http://www.slickdeals.net/?site=slickdeals#p5108

ecoupons, techbargains, and slickdeals are the three sites I usually visit prior to purchasing some electronics

The $30 coupon has expired, but I am sure better ones are coming. They have specials all the time from Dell and other merchants. Also, search for "Dell coupon" on eBay.

goose
09-01-2004, 05:55 AM
:confused: I just received email from Dell the A95 is on backorder..
Trying to decide whether to cancel or wait it out...
Still got the best price so far.

BrianC
09-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Dell can be terrible about backorders. I got an A75 for my folks (maybe it was A70) from Dell and it spent over 3 months on backorder. I continue to hear similar stories for other popular cameras as people are hooked in by the coupon du jour plus 10-15% off sales.

im_dragon
09-01-2004, 09:57 AM
I have just contacted Dell. My A95 will ship this week. I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

Being a newly-introduced camera, the A95 may have inventory problem. If you can not stand the back-order, then save yourself the agony. Just cancel the order. Go to your local electronics store, assuming they have it in stock, pay $400 + Tax then be happy.

There is nothing wrong with coupon-du-jour scheme. Using stackable coupons that I found on the Internet, I recently saved $150 over the lowest "special" deal that Dell offered at their website on my Dell 8400 computer. And I received it three days after ordering.

This will be my very first point-and-shoot camera, and it's digital. I am excited because it's so tiny compared to my 35mm SLR and gears. I plan to transition from film to digital permanently when I can get a 20 Megapixel Digital SLR body-only for less than $1K. For the film users that are thinking of switching to digital, here is an excellent website to start:
http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/index.html

Gooligangi
09-01-2004, 01:14 PM
I ordered mine through Dell on August 25th and got the coupon code, discount and free shipping. My confirmation said it'll be shipped by September 7th. I'm excited. I was also sold on the A80 until I saw the announcement of the A95. I paid a grand total 329.10. If you research enough you can find good deals.

D70FAN
09-01-2004, 02:39 PM
This will be my very first point-and-shoot camera, and it's digital. I am excited because it's so tiny compared to my 35mm SLR and gears. I plan to transition from film to digital permanently when I can get a 20 Megapixel Digital SLR body-only for less than $1K. For the film users that are thinking of switching to digital, here is an excellent website to start:
http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/index.html

You are in for a long wait, for various reasons, including light-physics and semiconductor base-wafer costs.

Is there a reason you need 20MP? Currently portrait photographers use 16MP and 22MP digital backs, at $16K to $25K a pop (not including the camera), but purely because their customers want large format prints (i.e.20 X 30 and larger) and they must be almost flawless gallery prints.

For everyone else including magazine, wedding, sports, and wildlife photographers, 6 or 8 MegaPixels will easily outperform film up to about 13 x 17, and match film prints up to about 17 x 24. I don't think I have see a pro carying a film camera since the Nikon D1H and Canon 1D came out in 2001.

Within these reasonable limits, cameras like the Canon DReb and Nikon D70 can be purchased for around $1000 and will easily outperform equivelent all-in-one 8MP cameras, and most consumer film SLR's as well. And for $500 more the 8MP Canon EOS 20D is even better. So why wait for 5-10 years or more? Just think of all the great shots you will miss in between using that all-in-one while you wait. :D

Like this one:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/197044

This is a single frame, real-time (not time-lapse), tripple strike. Try that with an all-in-one or film SLR.

Rhys
09-01-2004, 03:37 PM
You are in for a long wait, for various reasons, including light-physics and semiconductor base-wafer costs.

Is there a reason you need 20MP? Currently portrait photographers use 16MP and 22MP digital backs, at $16K to $25K a pop (not including the camera), but purely because their customers want large format prints (i.e.20 X 30 and larger) and they must be almost flawless gallery prints.

For everyone else including magazine, wedding, sports, and wildlife photographers, 6 or 8 MegaPixels will easily outperform film up to about 13 x 17, and match film prints up to about 17 x 24. I don't think I have see a pro carying a film camera since the Nikon D1H and Canon 1D came out in 2001.

Within these reasonable limits, cameras like the Canon DReb and Nikon D70 can be purchased for around $1000 and will easily outperform equivelent all-in-one 8MP cameras, and most consumer film SLR's as well. And for $500 more the 8MP Canon EOS 20D is even better. So why wait for 5-10 years or more? Just think of all the great shots you will miss in between using that all-in-one while you wait. :D

Like this one:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/197044

This is a single frame, real-time (not time-lapse), tripple strike. Try that with an all-in-one or film SLR.

I did notice that silicon carbide would be the new base for chips, meaning there'll be a new order of magnitude in the chip business. Apparently it'll be possible to get many times the quantity of circuitry onto a chip and it won't need to be cooled. Now that sounds useful. Perhaps a 20mp camera is not too far off. I did reckon that to equal Pan F, Agfapan 25 or Kodachrome 25, one would need 80 megapixels.

goose
09-01-2004, 03:42 PM
I had almost decided to cancel my order, When I received an email from Dell
my order has been shipped.
I'm new so hope to see photos taken by the A95 on here and consumer reviews.

D70FAN
09-01-2004, 03:58 PM
I did notice that silicon carbide would be the new base for chips, meaning there'll be a new order of magnitude in the chip business. Apparently it'll be possible to get many times the quantity of circuitry onto a chip and it won't need to be cooled. Now that sounds useful. Perhaps a 20mp camera is not too far off. I did reckon that to equal Pan F, Agfapan 25 or Kodachrome 25, one would need 80 megapixels.

Take my word for it. SiCarbide is a whole different animal, and does not lend itself to all applications. Feature size for Si currently is not limited by the base wafer as much as it is by supporting technologies.

Unless SiCarbide processing can boost the native sensitivity to light as a photo-sensor cell, the SNR problem will continue. You can only smash so many photons into a given area.

So when are the pundits predicting this revolution? I work in the semiconductor industry and other than white papers, I haven't heard much about implementation of this technology outside of power devides.