PDA

View Full Version : D70 defect?

Manwich
03-29-2005, 04:57 PM
I've had a problem with my D70 since I got it. I can take a dead-level photo of something with my D70 and I get a sort of slant every time. It doesn't matter whether I use the D70's 18-70 kit lens or my fixed focal 50mm nikkor lens. If I line things up in the viewfinder, take a shot from straight on, it'll slant about 1.5 degrees down from left to right. It's infuriating.

Camera's already been in for warranty repair of that problem and it was okay for a time, but now it's slid out of alignment again. Since it took 5 weeks to repair and Nikon didn't document what they did for the repair (adjustment? replace a part) I don't know much about the issue.

Now my warranty is almost up (1-2 weeks from now, I think) and I'm facing the difficult decision about sending it in again.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

See sample here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anole/7835556/

D70FAN
03-29-2005, 05:10 PM
I've had a problem with my D70 since I got it. I can take a dead-level photo of something with my D70 and I get a sort of slant every time. It doesn't matter whether I use the D70's 18-70 kit lens or my fixed focal 50mm nikkor lens. If I line things up in the viewfinder, take a shot from straight on, it'll slant about 1.5 degrees down from left to right. It's infuriating.

Camera's already been in for warranty repair of that problem and it was okay for a time, but now it's slid out of alignment again. Since it took 5 weeks to repair and Nikon didn't document what they did for the repair (adjustment? replace a part) I don't know much about the issue.

Now my warranty is almost up (1-2 weeks from now, I think) and I'm facing the difficult decision about sending it in again.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

See sample here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anole/7835556/

Are you using the grid overlay? It's the only way I can keep my shots square sometimes.

Manwich
03-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Are you using the grid overlay? It's the only way I can keep my shots square sometimes.

No, I hadn't been... but that's a good tip, and it's now on. I was was just using the left and right autofocus indicators.

Seems though I still get the slant. I was just taking more shots of my laptop like before and seems to slant still when I line the top horizontal grid lines up with the top edge of the laptop lid.

But I'll do more testing at home tonight. Esp. since Nikon Service is closed for the night and I can't pester them. :D

Cold Snail
03-29-2005, 05:29 PM
No, I hadn't been... but that's a good tip, and it's now on. I was was just using the left and right autofocus indicators.

Seems though I still get the slant. I was just taking more shots of my laptop like before and seems to slant still when I line the top horizontal grid lines up with the top edge of the laptop lid.

But I'll do more testing at home tonight. Esp. since Nikon Service is closed for the night and I can't pester them. :D

Dump the laptop and take a photo of a glass of water/wine/beer, if you have a tripod with spirit levels built into it, use them as well.

Also use the kit lens about halfway in it's zoom range, as that is it's best spot.

DownByFive
03-29-2005, 05:29 PM
I think I read of a similar problem on dpreview.com. Apparently some of the grid displays were misaligned. It's possible that it may have been a VF misalignment though...Try search of the D70 forum on dpreview.com, I'm sure you'll find the answer there.

Manwich
03-30-2005, 12:28 PM
I think I read of a similar problem on dpreview.com. Apparently some of the grid displays were misaligned. It's possible that it may have been a VF misalignment though...Try search of the D70 forum on dpreview.com, I'm sure you'll find the answer there.

Thanks for the tip. I found it here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=9926253

Seems like a lot of bother for an issue they've fixed before and for which I've never had on any other camera. Besides, I'm nowhere near an ocean. ;)

Seems like if I line up the camera's grid lines to a horizontal line in the shot, I should be reasonably sure that line doesn't have a consistent left-to-right two-degree slant in the resulting photo. But I am certainly going to test it using these methods. Hopefully the spirit level doesn't cost more than a new camera. ;)