PDA

View Full Version : Digital Rebel - Sports action shots blurred..Help!

cdav
03-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Hello, I'm new to digital SLR cameras, I purchased a Canon EOS Digital Rebel with the standard lense that comes with the kit, my problem is I took some indoor pictures of my daughter playing volleyball, in every action shot the subject is blurred, other items around the subject seem focused. Is there a setting adjustment I can make or do I need a better lense or camera?

Thanks
Cdav - newbie

shevbo
03-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Try using a higher ISO setting, like 1600 or higher. I don't know how high it goes on your Canon so its up to you.

If that does not work then you will have to get a faster lense...f2.8 would be nice, but they cost a lot.

scout_22
03-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Hello, I'm new to digital SLR cameras, I purchased a Canon EOS Digital Rebel with the standard lense that comes with the kit, my problem is I took some indoor pictures of my daughter playing volleyball, in every action shot the subject is blurred, other items around the subject seem focused. Is there a setting adjustment I can make or do I need a better lense or camera?

Thanks
Cdav - newbie

Funny, thats one of the reasons I bought the EOS, was with volleyball in mind.

The ISO on the EOS does go up to 1600. Im still trying to figure out what the best shutter speed should be. One of the problems I had the first time taking pics was the gym we were in was kind of dark. I think it might work better in a well lit gym..??

Mike

TheObiJuan
03-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Get a tripod and adjust ISO so your shutter speed can go down. Your kit lens is way too slow to use for indoor sports. I would recommend something atleast f/2.8.
Do you own the 50mm f/1.8? You could use it at f/2 and crop the pictures as needed. Watch your shutter times and your apertures. If you are getting blur it is because either you are moving too much, or the shutter speed is too slow.
I would stay clear from high ISO's on your camera as they can get noisey.
The first thing I would try is a tripod thogh.

Good luck

cdav
03-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks, I've played with the ISO settings a little but your right quality goes down, I've used a tripod, subject is still blurred while surroundings look good, I think I'll try the lense upgrade, has anyone used the 85MM F/1.8 from canon? or should I stick to a F/2.? Thanks

Mr. Peabody
03-29-2005, 03:13 PM
I was in the same boat as you kind except the indoor sport was basketball. If someone was standing still the shot was okay. If they were moving, the shot was blurred. It was the same story with outdoor nighttime football action too.

I bought a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di lens for my 20D. Unfortunately basketball season is over so I can't test it right now on indoor action shots. I can tell you that I have taken a ton of indoor shots at home and other places with it. The difference is night and day between the photos with it and my Kit Lens.

I also bought an external flash, the Canon Speedlite 580EX. I plan to use it along with my Tamron f/2.8 lens at night football games and indoor basketball games next year.

At some of the games that I mentioned above, there are sometimes a professional photographer or two and a newspaper photographer. I alway go ask them for advice when I can. They are always using an f/2.8 lens and an External Flash.

The only thing I don't like about the Tamron lens is its limited 28-75mm range. I like to zoom up a whole lot. Before football season starts, I plan to buy the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens with maybe the 1.4 extender so I can even get more zoom power.

I also just bought a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens. It is sweet. I had the same lens without IS, image stabilization. My new lens with IS is much better in low light and indoor settings. I use it a bunch at baseball games to zoom in and get great pics of my son playing baseball. It's also bigger than the same lens without IS. I had to buy a bigger camera bag.

D Thompson
03-29-2005, 03:46 PM

Thanks
Cdav - newbie

What settings are you using? You may need to set it where your shutter speed is no slower than 1/125th. Anything slower will probably blur. Maybe a combination ISO400, camera set to TV 1/125 should get decent shots.

Dennis