PDA

View Full Version : Cannon 50MM for Digital Rebel

frankforest
03-29-2005, 10:08 AM
I have a Cannon Digital Rebel. I have to shoot pictures at a shuter speed of 100 because of a hand shake from birth. I have a cannon lens right now that opens to 3.5 and a lot of my flash pictures are dark taken with the 420EX flash, camera set at ASA400. I am considering getting the Cannon 50MM lens that open to 1.8, it is the Cannon 50/1.8 EF II Standard Lens. Has anyone had any experience with that lens on the Cannon Digital Rebel or any gutt feeling about it performance?
Frank Forest

jamison55
03-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Buy it. It is probably the best value in lenses out there. Super fast and sharp with a great portrait length crop factor on the Digital Rebel. It was one of the first lenses I bought with my DReb, and the only one I didn't need to upgrade!

PS - Sounds like a 28-135 IS might be helpful as well...

eagle17
03-29-2005, 10:44 AM
yes this lens is very good (the 50mm) however at 1.8 if your subjects are less than 50ft away you can have very shallow deapth of field (this is good and bad depending on the shot).

I would second the 28-135 IS I think this would allow you to get some decent shots also.. it would be at least worth checking it out in the camera store.

carsonphotos
04-03-2005, 03:22 PM
I too have noticed the very shallow depth of field when I tried my canon 50mm on my 20d. Is this due to using a non EF-S lens? I think I would get better depth of field using the 18-55 that came with the camera, but it won't open up as wide. Any thoughts on depth of field with non EF-S (or any other non-digital specific formatted lenses)?

timmciglobal
04-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Lower F number (... ok I hate "lower/higher, Lower being < 5, Higher being > 5, "bigger" being <5" "Smaller" > 5) means generally your DOF before the hyperfocal distance (distance where everything is in focus) will be smaller. IE: F 1.8 on a 50 MM is going to have a smaller range of "in focus" then a 50 MM @ F 4

IS is great for handshake but it depends how serve, if its bad then the IS won't help (it can only overcome so much handshake, its physically small)

Tim

TheObiJuan
04-04-2005, 02:30 AM
I love it and use it every day. It is noticeable soft at f/1.8-f/2 and soft at f/2.2-f/2.8.
For the money it is perect though. :D
I highly recommend it.