PDA

View Full Version : Where, oh where are the Pentax 1stDS Users?

speaklightly
03-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Folks,

I sincerely have attempted to keep the Pentax dSLR folder alive and perking. The Pentax 1stDS is a great digital camera. In fact, I featured it again today with my posting to the Photo Gallery folder. My POD in the Picture Gallery (Picture of the Day) was from the Pentax 1stDS.

It appears to me, and I may indeed be incorrect, but in my personal opinion, this folder is about to slip into oblivion.

Sarah Jolyce

jeisner
03-28-2005, 10:29 PM
The XT review is currently being worked on but there is no ist DS review, that has obviously slipped in priority... Now this is fine, hey no one is paying for the reviews (certainly not the readers) so no right to complain really, and I am not complaining. BUT I think it is a good reason you won't find Pentax users here, there is nothing for them...

WightWalker
03-29-2005, 08:20 AM
It would be useful to see what DCRS make of the *istDS; although their review of the *istD should provide a rough guide.

Any chance that they might include it on their list of dSLRs to review.

speaklightly
03-29-2005, 05:38 PM
jeisner-

It is a ,matter of pure economics. We are conducting workshops on the dSLR's, but most users are primarily interested in the Canon 20D, 350XT, and the Nikon D-70. We can support two different lens series, but probably not three.

I hope that you will understand. Our workshops support us. This forum does not produce any economic return, although we enjoy this forum a lot. I have already made almost 1,000 postings on this forum. So I feel that I am doing my part in the "helping" department.

Sarah Joyce

jeisner
03-30-2005, 04:33 AM
Yeah I wasn't having a go at anyone, its understand... I was just suggesting that it may explain the lack of Pentax users frequenting this site/forum....

speaklightly
03-30-2005, 08:01 AM
jeisner-

Thanks for your post. Although I do not currently own a Pentax 1stDS, I will work to keep this folder alive simply because the DS is a wonderful camera.

I believe, that when folks are considering a new digital camera they take a look at the various folders to determine how popular a digital camera might be and to determine how much help and support they might receive, if they purchased that digital camera.

Sarah Joyce

WightWalker
03-30-2005, 09:48 AM
It's also pretty quiet over at Steve's Digicam - perhaps it's a reflection on how happy *istDS purchaser's are!

speaklightly
03-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Wightwalker-

You may indeed be correct. None the less, the Pentax 1stDS is a great camera as your close-ups really prove quite well. I would just like to see it get the attention that it deserves. So I will keep working on it.

Sarah Joyce

jeisner
03-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah the only 'busy' pentax DSLR forum seems to be the one at dpreview...

DonB
03-30-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm not an owner, but I guess a istds lurker!
I am rather attracted to this camera, because it is so trim, having gotten used to a compact Nikon4500, after a lifetime of juggling film slr equipment. I looked at a D70, but was turned off by the bulk.....
I have read every bit of information I can find on your camera, and am pleased you find the kit lens so good. Most others, especially Canon (350D) are not so happy with theirs. The Canon reading between the lines seems to be a good performer overall, but I doubt as well made as the Pentax. But the Pentax is quite expensive.
Can you convince me that the Pentax will do much better for me than the 4500?
By the way, great ladybird shots, very convincing!
DonB

speaklightly
03-31-2005, 07:30 AM
Don-

Perhaps these Pentax 1stDS photos will help you be convinced. Here is the link:

www.digicamlady.smugmug.com/gallery/408017

Sarah Joyce

jeisner
03-31-2005, 01:45 PM
I have not Post Processed any of these photos at all, just resized for the web from the original JPEG the camera produced.... (ohh and cropped the sunset)

My fav flower shot

http://img121.exs.cx/img121/5525/flowers3pe.jpg

Just some quick shots from two days ago with the ist DS.....

http://img181.exs.cx/img181/8608/sunset1bq.jpg

http://img80.exs.cx/img80/1957/rocks1dj.jpg

http://img189.exs.cx/img189/923/rocks3ce.jpg

speaklightly
03-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Jeisner-

Those are wonderful shots. Thanks so much for posting them.

Sarah Joyce

PeteD56
04-08-2005, 03:34 AM
I have not Post Processed any of these photos at all, just resized for the web from the original JPEG the camera produced.... (ohh and cropped the sunset)

Just some quick shots from two days ago with the ist DS.....

]

Where were these taken? Looks like the tide comes up a bit.

jeisner
04-08-2005, 04:30 AM
'Great Ocean Road' south west of Melbourne, Australia, very rough section of coast...

PeteD56
04-08-2005, 04:46 AM
Mmmm, I have a son living in Melbourne, Bonbeach actually, lived there for many years myself. Have travelled the Great Ocean Road many times but not for many years, London Bridge was still a bridge then.

Thanks.

Pete