PDA

View Full Version : Digital Rebel, or Olympus C-8080?

kristv
07-06-2004, 04:57 AM
Okay, I realize that these are two very different cameras with unique differences between them (not least of all that one is a dSLR and one a digital cam!). What I want to know is this:

What is the difference in clarity/noise between these two cameras?

Every site I've been to seems to give a different view on this. One site shows fantastic, clear pics from the Rebel, another shows fantastic, clear pics from the C-8080. And usually those same sites show the opposite camera to have a 'not-so-great image'.

I'm seriously thinking about going dSLR at this point, but the C-8080 images I've seen at some sites make me think twice about it. What is the concensus here? Is this a dumb question (meaning, dSLR is the 'no-brainer' here)?

Thanks for your time!

jamison55
07-06-2004, 05:59 AM
I recently upgraded from an Olympus 5050, which I loved, to the DReb and haven't looked back since. The DReb is everything I have ever wanted in a digicam (and I've owned 6 of them now). I think the real advantages that the DReb has over the 8080 is:

High ISO performance - you mentioned noise is a concern. Personally I think that the noise issue is blown way out of proportion when you are talking about images over 4MP's. Unless you are going to be printing posters with your images, the noise all but disappears when you print anything up to an 8x10. Anything displayed on the web, you will shrink to no larger than xga resolution, also eliminating the noise. That being said, the DReb wins the noise contest simply because it has a larger sensor, so ISO's over 200 are usable. I often take shots using ISO 400 and 800, and have even found ISO1600 to be usable in a pinch. I took this at ISO 800: http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1272453

The second reason for the DReb is shutter lag, or the Dreb's lack therof. While I hear that the 8080 is fast for a PnS, shutter lag is still there. I didn't realize how much better the DReb is, until I took the 5050 out this weekend to a family event. I just about threw the camera in frustration because it wasn't fast enough to capture the spontaneous moments...and I consider the 5050 the best PnS digicam ever made.

If you choose the DReb, make sure you spend the extra $100 for the Canon 50mm f1.8 Mark II lens. It is amazing.

Happy choosing!

kristv
07-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

I really think I'm leaning towards the dReb. I like the idea of having a few different lenses to choose from for a shot, I like the lesser noise at higher ISO's (as I take a lot of indoor shots), and the shutter lag is something I would like to be rid of as well.

It kinda sounds like I've made my choice! :D

Thanks for the input about the lens as well. Are there any brands I should keep in mind (or steer clear of)? I'm a newbie to proper photography components. I'm excited to dive into 'real' photography!

Jake Conner
07-06-2004, 12:25 PM
If you're worried about noise/clarity, a DSLR will win out over a point and shoot every time. The larger sensor of a DSLR means each pixel is larger, and therefore can take in more light, and therefore is less susceptible to the background electronic/heat signals which cause noise. As for lenses, the best are Canon, Sigma EX, and Tamron Di.

Jake

kristv
07-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the lens info, Jake! I'll keep my eyes peeled for those. And thanks for your input about my dilemma. I think I've made my choice, and it's time to consider when to purchase! :)

jamison55
07-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the input about the lens as well. Are there any brands I should keep in mind (or steer clear of)? I'm a newbie to proper photography components. I'm excited to dive into 'real' photography!

Lenses are a tough topic because there is so many of them ranging in quality from OK to great. My current stable consists of the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the camera, the 50mm Mark II that I mentioned before, and a Quantaray 55-200mm f:4-5.6 DC, that I picked up this weekend. This set meets all of my current photographic needs. The two zoom lenses give me an effective range of 28 - 300 mm (or approximately 10x zoom), and the 50mm prime serves as my portrait lens. Since the paid work that I do is primarily portraits, I have found that I use the 50mm most during my shoots. The kit lens came with the camera, the 50mm was $80, and the Quantaray was $210, for a total cost of $1300. I also added this excellent gadget bag for an additional $50 : https://www.adorama.com/CAGBK.html It holds everything securely and looks professional.

Back to your lenses, you should create a list of pictures that you would like to be able to take, and how much you can afford. Most will agree that the 50mm Mark II is a steal, with outstanding image quality and an f1.8 aperture for those low light shots. If you intend on taking a low of low-light shots without flash you might want to look into a zoom lens with a constant f2.8 aperture. The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di has been very well received, and is an excellent deal at about $350.00 online.

I have heard negative reviews of the Canon 70-300, and the $150 online price would bear this out, and the non-APO Sigma 75 - 300 (also around $150). I tested the USM version of the Canon 70-300, and the Sigma at Ritz Camera this weekend and walked away with the Quantaray, because it beat them both...

D70FAN
07-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Or... my favorite, the Nikon D70. You should always try both, just so you know that you made the right decision.