PDA

View Full Version : The Fuji E-550

speaklightly
08-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Yes, I was surprised by this digital camera. I own quite a few digital cameras (37) so it takes a lot to surprise me. Yes, this is only a 4X optical zoom digital camera. But a 6mp digital camera at $US340? Yes, that is the price and it is a very impressive digital camera.

It is very sharp, it has many features, even raw images, and it is fun to use. thanks to FEDEX mine arrived today.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
08-20-2004, 09:22 PM
Yes, I was surprised by this digital camera. I own quite a few digital cameras (37) so it takes a lot to surprise me. Yes, this is only a 4X optical zoom digital camera. But a 6mp digital camera at $US340? Yes, that is the price and it is a very impressive digital camera.

It is very sharp, it has many features, even raw images, and it is fun to use. thanks to FEDEX mine arrived today.

Sarah Joyce

I can hardly express my dissappointment in Fuji for bringing out a new series of cameras without AF assist. And then to add insult to injury, they are continuing to push the 6 MP Super CCD as a 12 MP camera, in the E550.

I will be interested in your feedback.

speaklightly
08-21-2004, 06:10 AM
Frankly, George-

I too was ready for the usual Fuji photos. However, I must be fair and honest in telling you that I was literally blown away by the very evident and measurable quality that I was able to see in the photo output from the Fuji E-550.

I received the camera yesterday afternoon and I am in the process of putting together a collection of some digital photos from the Fuji E-550. But from what I have seen thus far, the images look great and the Super HAD CCD finally works. This camera even has a raw image feature.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
08-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Frankly, George-

I too was ready for the usual Fuji photos. However, I must be fair and honest in telling you that I was literally blown away by the very evident and measurable quality that I was able to see in the photo output from the Fuji E-550.

I received the camera yesterday afternoon and I am in the process of putting together a collection of some digital photos from the Fuji E-550. But from what I have seen thus far, the images look great and the Super HAD CCD finally works. This camera even has a raw image feature.

Sarah Joyce

I have already commented on this off-line, and again thanks very much for the pictures. These may be a great improvement over past Fuji efforts, but generating 12MP images from a 6MP imager through 100% intepolation is, just flat, misleading.

Hopefully we will have a chance to compare the E550 to the A95 for picture quality and value. With their experience in professional film and cameras Fuji should be a better consumer camera company than they are. And the same for Kodak.

I know it seems that I am a big Canon fan, and to a degree I am, in that they always produce a superior camera in almost every price class. and they always think about what the photographer wants vs. what the marketing team wants. Nikon did this up until about 3 years ago and then lost the recipe, until the D70, but since the CP4500 their all-in-one cameras have been so-so.

I also like Panasonic for the same reasons as Canon. Building on their expertise in long lenses and image stabilization from their video cameras, they found a niche in Ultra-Zoom cameras, listened to their customers, and perfected the genre at the right price-points. Their regular cameras have also benefitted, but arguably IS in a short zoom may be pressing a little.

Photography is my hobby, and I have owned several crummy digital cameras that cost more than they were worth. Even the CP990 which was Time Magazines "Machine of the Year" 4 years ago, falls short by modern standards, and many recent cameras are no better.

So I try to at least start people in the right direction with a base camera in their "wants" catagory that, from a usability, picture quality, and value perspective will fullfill their needs for several years, and be a pleasant experience, unlike my initial experiences with digital cameras.

When there are obvious omissions, like AF Assist, and claims of doubling the picture quality via interpolation, it's an automatic negative reaction. I will await my final opinion until I actually play with the E550, as there may be some ergonomic value. The pictures are good, but could have been taken with my CP990 and interpolated in post-processing with equal results.

Azurael
08-22-2004, 08:07 PM
You really do dislike Fuji, don't you? To look at this from a much less professional point of view: At the end of the day, I did buy the S7000 in case anybody was wondering. I bought it as a 6mpixel camera and that it is, and I have taken many photos I'm very happy with already. I did get the chance to play with an FZ10 and there were penty of faults to find with it, like the clunky software, slow start up and poor macro mode. The interface on Fuji cameras is very intuitive and helpful and lets even idiots like me take nice photos at night with long exposures, and the picture quality is more than good enough for what I want and it looks good, so I can't find fault with it since it cost nearly 100 less than the 4mpixel camera you recommended as well as the capability to record videos I can play and appreciate, rather than trying to work out quite what it is that has been crammed into that 320x240 space. Keep an open mind :)

D70FAN
08-24-2004, 12:00 AM
You really do dislike Fuji, don't you? To look at this from a much less professional point of view: At the end of the day, I did buy the S7000 in case anybody was wondering. I bought it as a 6mpixel camera and that it is, and I have taken many photos I'm very happy with already. I did get the chance to play with an FZ10 and there were penty of faults to find with it, like the clunky software, slow start up and poor macro mode. The interface on Fuji cameras is very intuitive and helpful and lets even idiots like me take nice photos at night with long exposures, and the picture quality is more than good enough for what I want and it looks good, so I can't find fault with it since it cost nearly 100 less than the 4mpixel camera you recommended as well as the capability to record videos I can play and appreciate, rather than trying to work out quite what it is that has been crammed into that 320x240 space. Keep an open mind :)

No, actually I don't so much dislike Fuji as I don't like their misrepresentation of the Super CCD. The S7000 seems to work fine for you and that is great. I just would not recomend Fuji in my top 3 cameras in any catagory.

So what I am doing to remedy this is to stop giving advice on "which camera to buy" as I'm just tired of repeating the same old thing. The truth is that you can buy just about any digital camera and expect good pictures. And most people tend to adapt to the short-commings.

My by-line is try before you buy. That remains true. And from now on I really don't care what people buy.

judge9847
08-24-2004, 02:42 AM
Posted by George Riehms
No, actually I don't so much dislike Fuji as I don't like their misrepresentation of the Super CCD.

I've got to agree with George: I believe Fuji do misrepresent their Super CCD. I have an (elderly now) 6800z and they were claiming effective 6mp on a 3mp chip. Nah ... no chance. There might be some clever electronics and software engineering in their cameras to be able to make that claim but side by side alongside other manufacturers, I think it's not a reasonable claim.

However, I continue to enjoy my Fuji because I feel it produces some great images, especially in macro mood.

Which brings me on to my second point.

Posted by Azurael
I did get the chance to play with an FZ10 and there were penty of faults to find with it, like the clunky software, slow start up and poor macro mode.

I also have an FZ10 and yes, like every other prosumer camera on the market, anyone can find faults with it. But I've worked with it now for several months and nearly 8,000 images later I reckon I can claim to know a great deal about it. Clunky software? What's that all about? Slow start up? Again, what are you comparing it to? And poor macro mode? Well, it isn't better than the Fuji that is for sure and you do have to work at it to understand how to get the best results. But once you've got a handle on what it can do, and how to do it, I'm sure you'll find that it's as good as any other.

Of course, I don't know how long you spent with the camera but it does seem like a bit of a throw-away remark based on a short experience of "playing" with it.

I would post an image that I took in macro mode to show you what the FZ10 can do but it needed so much optimization the detail that's important got wiped out.

Parag Jain
08-25-2004, 02:43 AM
Well Sarah,

Can you Please let me know as how well it performs in Low light situations as it does not have an AF Assist Lamp.

Can you post few sample pics of this camera.This would help me in deciding whether or now to go for this camera.

Thanks

Parag.

speaklightly
08-25-2004, 08:34 AM
I have only had the Fuji E-550 since 08/20 so I have not had any real opportunity to check the digital camera under serious low light levels thus far, such as disco/stage performances, but so far it has been excellent in any low light situation that I have thrown at it.

Sarah Joyce