PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid flash shadows?

JKO
03-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi,

Recently upgraded from a compact digital camera to a Canon 350D and I am very happy with the pic quality except for one point. The shadows created by the built in flash when shooting indoors. This problem did not occurr with my compact camera but with the 350D it creates very strong shadows cauing a "double vision" effect.

Any tips on how to avoid this? Is it the stronger flash (compared to the old compact) that is causing this. At this point I am not prepared to buy an external flash as the prices are too high for a beginner. That step might come later.

Have not found any quick way to remove these unwanted shadows in Photoshop Elements 3.0, any good tips here?

Just started with dSLR

Jan

Balrog
03-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Well, I'd say one of the major advantages of having a DSLR (congrats, btw :) ) would be that you can take indoor / low-light photos *without* having to resort to flash .. in my opinion, 'available light' pics tend to look far more natural anyway. So, I'd suggest you try turning off the flash and instead shooting at ISO 1600 or so, see how that works for you...

John_Reed
03-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Hi,

Recently upgraded from a compact digital camera to a Canon 350D and I am very happy with the pic quality except for one point. The shadows created by the built in flash when shooting indoors. This problem did not occurr with my compact camera but with the 350D it creates very strong shadows cauing a "double vision" effect.

Any tips on how to avoid this? Is it the stronger flash (compared to the old compact) that is causing this. At this point I am not prepared to buy an external flash as the prices are too high for a beginner. That step might come later.

Have not found any quick way to remove these unwanted shadows in Photoshop Elements 3.0, any good tips here?

Just started with dSLR

JanLooking at the camera, it looks like the flash is centered over the lens axis, as long as you're holding the camera horizontally. Are you? Because if you hold it vertically, you'll get pronounced flash shadows, whereas they should be minimal for the horizontal position. But like the previous responder, I agree that you should also learn to take advantage of your camera's innate indoor "available light" capability and revel in it!

JKO
03-28-2005, 01:19 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the tip, It looks like I need to experiment more without flash as it causes more harm then good shooting indoors (in certain positions). I am just in a phase of learning to go from auto to crative zones on the camera and the result already looks better (and worse in some cases, but that is more depending on the person behind the camera, not the camera itself).

Additional comment on 350D (XT) is that it suites me perfect being this small. Next step is to upgrade the kit lens with something better.
Negative is that the LCD menus are almost invisible in daylight, I wonder if this would be something that is fixable by firmware (like changing the menu colors or similar). Otherwise I have to bring an empty toilet roll and put on top of the LCD to read it. Luckily most of the settings are doable without using the color LCD.

Jan

John_Reed
03-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the tip, It looks like I need to experiment more without flash as it causes more harm then good shooting indoors (in certain positions). I am just in a phase of learning to go from auto to crative zones on the camera and the result already looks better (and worse in some cases, but that is more depending on the person behind the camera, not the camera itself).

Additional comment on 350D (XT) is that it suites me perfect being this small. Next step is to upgrade the kit lens with something better.
Negative is that the LCD menus are almost invisible in daylight, I wonder if this would be something that is fixable by firmware (like changing the menu colors or similar). Otherwise I have to bring an empty toilet roll and put on top of the LCD to read it. Luckily most of the settings are doable without using the color LCD.

Jan :) I don't think Canon would like to advertise the XT using a photo of you peering at your LCD through an empty toilet roll, do you? Have you tried just wearing a shade hat to keep the Sun at bay while you're looking at the menu? Or you might need to turn away from the Sun and shield the camera with your body?

Robert
03-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi,

Just started with dSLR

Jan
If you're interested in decent indoor flash photos you'll need an external flash. You'll find that bounce lighting with an external flash will all but eliminate the harshest of shadows. Considering the cost of the 350D the price of an external flash is pretty much of a minor expense. In my opinion the internal flash on even the most expensive digital cameras are not worth a shot of powder for anything but casual snapshots.

JKO
03-28-2005, 06:43 PM
:D Luckily I have not yet deserted to the toilet roll trick, and I hope I can avoid it as a part of the camera bag. I will bring a baseball cap next time, that should do it.

Any tip for a newbie for good litterature on digital (SLR) photography?

sherlock
03-28-2005, 07:40 PM
:D Luckily I have not yet deserted to the toilet roll trick, and I hope I can avoid it as a part of the camera bag. I will bring a baseball cap next time, that should do it.

Any tip for a newbie for good litterature on digital (SLR) photography?

Hey,

This site here (http://www.kenrockwell.com) run by Ken Rockwell is a great source of info on digital photography. I hope you find it as useful as I do!

Andrew S.

Norm in Fujino
03-28-2005, 09:10 PM
with the 350D it creates very strong shadows cauing a "double vision" effect.

This may be irrelevant, but just in case:
I noticed the above comment about "double vision effect" and wondered whether you might have inadvertently set your flash mode for slow synchro ("first curtain" or "second curtain") flash. Doing that will definitely cause a kind of double vision since you'll have the flash going off with a slower shutter speed.