PDA

View Full Version : Any 12-24mm Nikor Lens Users Out There

speaklightly
03-27-2005, 08:44 PM
I really like wide angle digital photos so I am interested in the Nikor 12-24mm F 4.0 lens. Any users of this lens out there? I really would like to hear your experience with this unique wide angle lens.

Sarah Joyce

Charles C. Weston
03-27-2005, 09:09 PM
I do not have the Nikkor 12-24mm lens, but I do have a Sigma 12-24mm D 1:4.5-56 DG HSM EX. I use this lens mainly photographing interiors for designers and find that it is fine for that use. IMHO the pictures are sharp and not soft and clearly show all of the detail that the interior designer is looking for. Many of the shots are made in rather small rooms and 12mm is the only way I can get the picture the designer is looking for. Color is also very important to interior designers and I find that I can satisfy their strict demands. My experience is only about a year now, so I am really still an amateur. Cost was important to me and I could not afford the Nikkor. I paid ~$640 when I bought from Adorama.
I will use this lens for landscapes but I have not had the opportunity as yet. Florida is rather flat!

speaklightly
03-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks, Charles-

Beacause I really like wide angle lenses, the Nikor 12-24mm will most probably be my most used lens. Like you I do a lot of work for Interior Designers, and I think it will be perfect for that use.

I also want to use it for landscapes as well. Living on the Oregon Coast, I can make good use of the 12-24mm Nikor for landscapes.

Thanks so much for your input, Charles.

Sarah Joyce

Samuel Lo
03-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks, Charles-

Beacause I really like wide angle lenses, the Nikor 12-24mm will most probably be my most used lens. Like you I do a lot of work for Interior Designers, and I think it will be perfect for that use.

I also want to use it for landscapes as well. Living on the Oregon Coast, I can make good use of the 12-24mm Nikor for landscapes.

Thanks so much for your input, Charles.

Sarah Joyce

Comments for this Lens? Five thumbs up. Sharp image from centre to edge, good colour saturation; but it's expensive, it cost me around US$900. If the quality of Sigma's one is as good as Nikon's, I will prefer Sigma's (I bought the Nikon's 12-24mm one year ago, at that time it's the only one in the market)

speaklightly
03-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Samuel-

Thanks for your comments. From what I have read, the Nikon 12-24mm F 4.0 is better than the Sigma.

Sarah Joyce

sherlock
03-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Samuel-

Thanks for your comments. From what I have read, the Nikon 12-24mm F 4.0 is better than the Sigma.

Sarah Joyce

Hey,

I've heard the same, and the Nikon is 1 full stop faster at 24mm, which may or not be important to you.

Andrew S.

DownByFive
03-28-2005, 02:57 PM
What about the Tokina 12-24 f/4...$400 less than the Nikon. Any good?

speaklightly
03-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Downby5-

It is actually "a much less" lens to be quite honest with you. Yes, it is indeed cheaper, but it also a lot less quality. The images show the difference. I volunteer ro show the Nikkor 12-24mm part of the equation.

Do we have a volunteer to handle the SIGMA 12-24mm side of this comparison?

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
03-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Downby5-

It is actually "a much less" lens to be quite honest with you. Yes, it is indeed cheaper, but it also a lot less quality. The images show the difference. I volunteer ro show the Nikkor 12-24mm part of the equation.

Sarah Joyce

That's a pretty sweeping statement without having tried the Sigma. But here is a better way. Go to a camera store that sells Sigma (almost everyone). Ask to try it. Try it in the store (lots of good tough shots in a camera store). Shoot the same with the Nkkor. This would take all of about 20 minutes. Thank the store keeper. Post the photos.

Having said this the Sigma only rates an "average" rating of 2.88 out of 5.00. Unfortunately the Nikkor was not rated in the photozone list.

speaklightly
03-28-2005, 08:35 PM
George-

Am I to assume that you are the volunteer who is going to supply the Sigma 12-24mm photo samples. I will mark you down for that responsibility. George, please submit your samples within this folder, won't you please.

I'll bet you $5.00 that the Nikon 12-24mm will beat you hands down!

Sarah Joyce

Samuel Lo
03-29-2005, 01:34 AM
George-

Am I to assume that you are the volunteer who is going to supply the Sigma 12-24mm photo samples. I will mark you down for that responsibility. George, please submit your samples within this folder, won't you please.

I'll bet you $5.00 that the Nikon 12-24mm will beat you hands down!

Sarah Joyce

Wow, it's great. I am looking forward to see the result. If Sigma is as good as Nikkor, I can resell the Nikkor and buy the Sigma! The second hand price is US$850, I can still earn US$200!

Charles C. Weston
03-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Sarah
Here's a comparison shot for you on a D70 Sigma 12-24mm. Lighting was rather difficult, but I hope it is illustrative of the lens. If not, I could try another venue.
I found that I could not upload as I could only get the file down to 374K after trying for about an hour. I am not sure that after reducing the file size you would have a representative picture to compare.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

speaklightly
03-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Charles-

I would sure love to see some photos from the Sigma 12-24mm lens! From everything I have read, the Nikkor 12-24 is the better choice. I have ordered the Nikkor 12-24mm, so as soon as it arrives, I will be able to provide some high resolution samples via a www.smugmug.com link.

Sarah Joyce

Charles C. Weston
03-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Sarah

I will volunteer.

Check http://www.sendpix.com/albums/05032916/06ubxno74i/

Unfortunately, these do not portray the file as well as an NEF file processed by Nikon Capture. None of these are museum quality; just random shoots around home to give you something to make a comparision.
If you would like to have the RAW files I can send them to you if you want to give me your e-mail address.

Charles

speaklightly
03-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Thank you, Charles-

As soon as I receive the Nikkor 12-24mm, I will return the favor and post some samples.

Sarah Joyce

speaklightly
03-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Charles-

This was a couple of quick shots because we just recived the Nikkor 12-24mm this afternoon. More will follow, of course.

If you want to see these photos in full resolution, please go to :

www.digicamlady.smugmug.com/gallery/461706

Sarah Joyce

Charles C. Weston
04-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Sarah Joyce

The samples of the 12-24mm Sigma did not look representative on the site on which I posted them, so I have opened a gallery in smugmug. This will help our comparison as we can see the shots in the original size. You can find them at:

http://collie.smugmug.com

I have checked your first two photos with the Nikkor 12-24mm and wow! I am impressed. I am eagerly waiting for some more. I think that I have seen that rock before.

All the shots that I took were at 12mm. Tommorow I will shoot again and will use both 12 and 24mm and upload them to the gallery.

I am sure that we both realize that what we are doing is making a subjective comparison of the two lenses. To be completely objective we would need the comparisons made by some one far more knowledgeble that me using the same camera back, lighting, subject, processing and a test bench to check all of the capabilities of both lenses.

Already I can see that you get what you pay for, but I am rather pleased with the Sigma as it is giving fairly good results for the price that I paid for it.

Charles.

speaklightly
04-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Charles-

I certainly agree agree. We are just looking at the photos and making an internal judgement about whether we like the result, or not. We had to drive to Portland, OR yesterday do some business today (04/02) and then drive home. A total of about 14+ hours of driving, so I will not be able to get to more photos till tomorrow (04/03).

But I will get more posted asap.

Sarah Joyce

Samuel Lo
04-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Sarah Joyce

The samples of the 12-24mm Sigma did not look representative on the site on which I posted them, so I have opened a gallery in smugmug. This will help our comparison as we can see the shots in the original size. You can find them at:

http://collie.smugmug.com

I have checked your first two photos with the Nikkor 12-24mm and wow! I am impressed. I am eagerly waiting for some more. I think that I have seen that rock before.

All the shots that I took were at 12mm. Tommorow I will shoot again and will use both 12 and 24mm and upload them to the gallery.

I am sure that we both realize that what we are doing is making a subjective comparison of the two lenses. To be completely objective we would need the comparisons made by some one far more knowledgeble that me using the same camera back, lighting, subject, processing and a test bench to check all of the capabilities of both lenses.

Already I can see that you get what you pay for, but I am rather pleased with the Sigma as it is giving fairly good results for the price that I paid for it.

Charles.

Although the photos have good contrast, colour saturation, do anyone notice the vigneting at the 4 corners? Charles, do you use a Lens Hood? If not, I think Sigma have to do soemthing on it.

Charles C. Weston
04-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks Sam,

This lens has two lens hoods and I used the wrong one. I have shot another set and posted it today using the petal hood, which I should have used in the first place.
This set includes 24mm as well as 12mm

www.collie.smugmug.com

charles

gary_hendricks
04-02-2005, 06:14 PM
I've heard good stuff about the Nikor 12-24mm from a friend who uses it regularly for wide angle product shoots.

Samuel Lo
04-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks Sam,

This lens has two lens hoods and I used the wrong one. I have shot another set and posted it today using the petal hood, which I should have used in the first place.
This set includes 24mm as well as 12mm

www.collie.smugmug.com

charles

Ah, I see. Now the Sigma seems pretty good. How do the other think? Thanks, Charles.

Charles C. Weston
04-04-2005, 10:18 AM
I thought that it might be helpful to add a couple of close ups to the photos I posted on

www.collie.smugmug.com

I apologize to all of you photographers as these shots are only to illustrate the lens and I did not try to make them works-of-art!

D70FAN
04-04-2005, 10:42 AM
I thought that it might be helpful to add a couple of close ups to the photos I posted on

www.collie.smugmug.com

I apologize to all of you photographers as these shots are only to illustrate the lens and I did not try to make them works-of-art!

The interiors might be considered works of art in some circles (Home Depot?)

Ya' know...with a decent frame...? ;)

But seriously these shots definately show the wide angle qualities.

The flower shot is definately a "framer".

Somebody allowed photographers in? When did that happen? ;)

Update:

Paul, I never thanked you for jumping in. As I was going through my past messages I noticed that Sarah had volunteered me to provide the Sigma samples. ;)

speaklightly
04-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Today I will be posting three more Nikkor 12-24mm samples. All were taken at 12mm. You will find them at:

Sarah Joyce

sarcazmo
04-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Downby5-

Sarah Joyce

From what I've read, the Tokina seems to be a pretty good lens. I think Pop Photo just reviewed it, and I know I've read a couple more on the 'net.

speaklightly
04-10-2005, 05:43 PM
I have posted a few more digital photos to my Nikkor 12-24mm album. You can find them at:

Sarah Joyce

Charles C. Weston
04-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Sarah

Unfortunately, I cannot match your seascapes, but I am able to show the produce dept. of our supermarket. Loaded two shots today on

www.collie.smugmug.com

Charles

speaklightly
04-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Charles-

Thanks for posting the new photos. Yes, the seascapes reside right out our sliding door. They were taken from our back deck.

Sarah Joyce

stephengmeiner
01-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Check out...

http://www.gmeiners.com/stephendeb/photo/index.htm

Hope it's helpfull

anemonefish
09-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I use a 12-24 on a D200 body with great results. Although it's a DX lens, the build is solid and the feel is all Nikon. Image quality is everything you'd expect, and the range provides lots of options for a walking-around lens. F4 is less of a limitation for digital than film for available light. Prepare for a $ hit with thin 77mm filters (the 70-200 is the same front diameter, so that helps). This is a large (but not outrageously heavy) lens.

If your plan is to migrate to a full-size sensor with a D3 (and gain the advantage of a huge repertoire of film-oriented optics), then the DX lens family has some limitations and probably a finite useful life. Although the D3 will take this lens, it only covers part of the sensor and won't take full advantage of the next generation. There are better WA choices for that route. On a D300 (or anything downhill of that), it will be happy as a clam as long as Nikon supports the bodies, and that's probably going to be for many years. I don't see how anyone comfy in the DX realm could be unhappy with the 12-24.