PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Raw or jpg?

JKO
03-27-2005, 06:19 PM
I am a newbe in photography and especially in Digital SLRs. I just bought an Canon 350D and I'm shooting in jpg. However as I want to edit many shots in Photoshop Elements before printing should I instead shoot with raw. Why I am asking is that when re-saving a jpg you loose quality. Is there any way of avoiding that if I want to edit my jpg and re-save them in jpg. I do not want to end up with a bunch of different formats of the photos and I would like to have the final result in jpg.

Any suggestion on workflow when working with jpg?

Jan

Norm in Fujino
03-27-2005, 07:16 PM
However as I want to edit many shots in Photoshop Elements before printing should I instead shoot with raw. Why I am asking is that when re-saving a jpg you loose quality. Is there any way of avoiding that if I want to edit my jpg and re-save them in jpg. I do not want to end up with a bunch of different formats of the photos and I would like to have the final result in jpg.
Any suggestion on workflow when working with jpg?Jan

JPEG is called a "lossy" compression algorithm. Each time you save a file in JPEG, it compresses it according to the algorithm, discarding bits it thinks it can "do without." That mean it loses information. Depending on the company and algorithm, and degree of compression involved. It may take several/numerous saves before any degradation is actually visible, but it does happen. If you want to continue to work on a photo, you need to save it in a non-lossy format. So assuming you initially take the original photo in you camera's highest-quality JPEG format, you need to 1) change the name when saving (never destroy or overwrite your original shot, since it is your negative); 2) after working with it in CS, save it in Photoshop's native (non-lossy) format using another name. The next time you work on it, if you want to save interim versions, change the name slightly each time. If you decide you have a "final" version, save it in JPEG, selecting the degree of compression desired depending on the use (lowest compression for printing, higher compression for use on the web; also, if for the web, reduce it in pixel size accordingly).

jaykinghorn
03-28-2005, 08:48 AM
I agree with Norm's suggestions. The only thing that I might add is instead of saving multiple iterations of an image, I prefer to make all of my adjustments on Adjustment layers. That way, you can save a single, layered version of the image containing all of your corrections. This takes up less space on your hard drive and gives you a great deal of flexibility over your corrections.

Shooting RAW is powerful stuff. Based on your question, it sounds like you are new to digital photography and in particular, Photoshop Elements. For the time being, I would suggest you continue to shoot JPEG, but as you become more comfortable, you may wish to begin shooting RAW. Working with, and processing RAW files takes more dexterity in Photoshop Elements, but gives you unsurpassed image editing power.

Best of luck building your workflow.

Best regards,
Jay Kinghorn
RGB Imaging