PDA

View Full Version : 350D(XT) vs 20D ISO Comparison

TheObiJuan
03-25-2005, 01:59 PM
A friend and I got together yesterday to compare noise from her 20D and my 350D throughout the entire ISO range.

Both cameras were capturing a prop located in a dimly lit room with some sunlight coming through a window. 100% crops of roughly the same area are presented here. There is no noise suppresion performed, or any photoshoping other than cropping and labeling the images.

Both cameras were using mirror lockup, self timer,Aperture Priority, paramater 1, aRGB, Large/Fine JPEG,AWB, and no flash. Despite the settings being exactly the same, the 20D has a much more favorable red over my 350D. :confused:

They both were shooting with the 50mm f/1.8 MKII
The blown out bar on the 20D is suprising, it did not appear on the 350D, despite the pictures being taken within minutes of each other. The 350D's first image, the ISO 100 shot, was taken before the 20D too.
http://img148.exs.cx/img148/703/isotestsmall6pc.jpg

What do y'all think?

Bluedog
03-25-2005, 04:34 PM
I really appreciate all your effort. The 20D's red does look more appealing but maybe the 350D set @ Vivid would render it better. Kinda odd what was happening @ ISO 800 with the XT.

trikster2
03-25-2005, 05:51 PM
I think if you had one chance to get this shot, the 20D would have blown it (pardon the pun) while the 350D took a good shot.

Payne
03-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Would you mind sharing the settings?

eagle17
03-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I think if you had one chance to get this shot, the 20D would have blown it (pardon the pun) while the 350D took a good shot.

would you care to elaberate? I think that in all of the examples the 20D has more contrast and better colour. as for the blown hightlight I think Obijuan can share the missing bit of info...

ObiJuan did you meter with a light meter or use the 350d meter than use the same setting on the 20d?

Mr. Peabody
03-25-2005, 10:14 PM
I really enjoy all the comparison tests that you guys bother to post.

Thanks!

They are all very interesting.

nate
03-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Well, the 20D exposed it too brightly, leading to the blown highlight. On the other hand, the darker shots of the XT are more susceptible to noise.

I'm not sure which one "wins" in this contest...

TheObiJuan
03-25-2005, 11:16 PM
I just realized earlier today after analyzing the exif info that the 350D was set to -.3EV compensation. My friend and I were comparing methods of changing settings on the different cameras and I did not return the EV comp to O. oops.
I will try to redo the test in a room with no windows too. I will also manually set the WB on both cameras next time instead of AWB.

I had the cameras set to f/8 in Av and had them choose the aperture. This is more close to what real world shots would be with, since we both use Av.
But for the next test, we will use manual, and use appropriate shutter/aperture combos.

this was a good learning experience and I have an insight into the frustration and patience it takes to do reviews. Jeff, if you are reading, excellent work! :D

Payne
03-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Be aware also of using the same lenses.....contrast and sharpness differ a lot among brands and models.

TheObiJuan
03-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Be aware also of using the same lenses.....contrast and sharpness differ a lot among brands and models.

as stated above, "They both were shooting with the 50mm f/1.8 MKII"