PDA

View Full Version : Buying a D70

sarcazmo
03-25-2005, 01:57 PM
I'll be buying a D70 here as soon as the rest of my tax return comes. Couple questions:

1. Anyone have experience with buydig.com?
2. Is there any place to download the rebate form online?
3. Any 'must-have' accessories I should know about?

I already have Thom Hogan's excellent ebook, and will be purchasing the shortcourse guide in a day or so.

Otherwise I plan on sticking with the kit lens for a while, learning the camera, and then purchasing the 50mm 1.8 and Sigma 24-70 2.8 macro as a new faster walkaround lens.

D70FAN
03-25-2005, 04:43 PM
I'll be buying a D70 here as soon as the rest of my tax return comes. Couple questions:

1. Anyone have experience with buydig.com?
2. Is there any place to download the rebate form online?
3. Any 'must-have' accessories I should know about?

I already have Thom Hogan's excellent ebook, and will be purchasing the shortcourse guide in a day or so.

Otherwise I plan on sticking with the kit lens for a while, learning the camera, and then purchasing the 50mm 1.8 and Sigma 24-70 2.8 macro as a new faster walkaround lens.

1. No.
2. Norman Camera. http://www.normancamera.com/shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=25214
3. The IR remote control

You might be happier with Peter iNova's e-book. Some good info on RAW and handy Photoshop filters, as well.

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/

I have the Sigma 18-125 for an everyday walk around (replaced the kit lens). The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 would be a better choice for a portrait/group/landscape lens.

DownByFive
03-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Bought my D70 from buydig.com, and a few weeks later, ordered my 75-300mm. I was extremely impressed. They should send you a copy of the rebate form, but if not, you can download it off their website...The link is on the side menu somewhere. But be prepared to learn patience when waiting for your rebate...

Essentials...tripod or monopod (or both), some fast memory, a good carrying case (I love my Lowepro), and at the very least a circular polarizer...I think those are the main things I couldn't do without...Depending on your shooting preferences, you may want to add a longer telephoto. You can pick up a Nikon, Sigma, or Tamron for not much more than $100, and it'll be enough to give you a good range, and maybe hold you over until you're ready to step up to something more expensive.

sarcazmo
03-25-2005, 07:03 PM
The Sigma 18-125 seems like a great lens, I was just thinking I might have use for something a little faster in the future. However, the price does seem to be right... Maybe with that 200 dollar rebate...

The inova book looks great, but I dunno if I'll have enough left over to purchase it. Maybe I can talk the ole GF into buying it for me...

I will probably hold off on the tripod as well. I know it's a must have, but I want to make sure I get the best one I need, not some cheapo Best Buy special.

For memory, I was going to start with a Sandisk Extreme III 1gb card. Can you make any recommendations to good polarizing filters?

Sorry I'm all over the place, just excited.

Charles C. Weston
03-25-2005, 08:58 PM
When you get your new D70 be sure to check the ISO daily before you start shooting. Don't bother too much with the Automatic (which does not set the ISO automatically,by the way), stick with P,A and S, and have fun with the M setting. Shoot RAW, and process with Nikon Capture 4.2. You will enjoy the beautiful pictures you will get with this camera.

D70FAN
03-25-2005, 09:48 PM
The Sigma 18-125 seems like a great lens, I was just thinking I might have use for something a little faster in the future. However, the price does seem to be right... Maybe with that 200 dollar rebate...

The inova book looks great, but I dunno if I'll have enough left over to purchase it. Maybe I can talk the ole GF into buying it for me...

I will probably hold off on the tripod as well. I know it's a must have, but I want to make sure I get the best one I need, not some cheapo Best Buy special.

For memory, I was going to start with a Sandisk Extreme III 1gb card. Can you make any recommendations to good polarizing filters?

Sorry I'm all over the place, just excited.

I agree with downbyfive on the Loewpro case. I have the TLZ Mini and it is perfect for the camera and a decent zoom.

You really don't need an Extreme III as the Ultra II 512MB matches up very well to the D70's speed. The 512 will hold about 88 RAW+JPG. See here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816

You really don't need a polarizing filter (or any filter) at this point. The D70 is pretty competent as is.

moooster
03-30-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm about to buy a D70 also. But the rebate form explicitly says it is only valid for in person retail store purchases:

6) Excluded from this offer: Retail sales made to a retail customer not physically present at the dealer location, e.g., telephone, mail-order or internet sales, and shipped by the dealer to the retail customer via common carrier to an address outside the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, the U.S.Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico are excluded from this offer.

Not that the buydig.com isn't a good deal on it's own. Has anyone received their rebates yet?

sarcazmo
03-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Hmmm, I was under the impression that the $200 dollar rebate was merchant restricted, and buydig.com advertised as having a $200 dollar rebate.

My camera is in the mail, and I'll be EXTREMELY dissapointed if I can't get the money. I was actually planning on using to attend a seminar devoted to the D70.

As far as NC, I've got Photoshop CS and also dled pixmantecs Raw Shooter essentials. I don't think I'll be spending the extrea hundred dollars for it yet.

sarcazmo
03-30-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm about to buy a D70 also. But the rebate form explicitly says it is only valid for in person retail store purchases:

Not that the buydig.com isn't a good deal on it's own. Has anyone received their rebates yet?

Ahhh, just re-read the quote. It's not valid if it's shipped to an address outside the US.

Ray Schnoor
03-31-2005, 06:45 AM
I'm about to buy a D70 also. But the rebate form explicitly says it is only valid for in person retail store purchases

This is not true. I got a D70 for my mother-in-law for XMAS from RitzCamera.Com, and she has received her $100 rebate for the body only. Unless the body/kit lens rebate has different rules, I would assume that it would work.

Ray.