PDA

View Full Version : sd300 general questions

richwolf
03-24-2005, 06:38 PM
I bought a Canon SD300 camera and have a few questions:
1. Best general setting for outdoor scenery shots? Any way of getting more depth of field?
2. The macro range and the difference between shooting macro with and without zoom?
3. Settings for the best combination of quality and number of shots per card. I know there are different compression settings and size setting. How do they affect each other?
4. How often do people play with their white balance and for what situations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DownByFive
03-24-2005, 07:47 PM
My backup cam is a Powershot S230, which is nearly identical to the SD300. I've put a few thousand shots through it, mostly outdoors...

When shooting landscape stuff, I just made sure to set the focus mode to infinity, which is the mountain icon...Point and shoot cameras already have tons of depth of field, but the infinity mode helps make sure the minimum aperture is used.

I want to say that when shooting macros, I could get about a foot away (maybe even 6 inches or so), and then zoom in...Can't say exactly because I never really used it much. But I think the exact specs on the minimum focus range are in the manual.

As far as shots per card go, shoot at the highest setting as much as you can. If you do bump down the settings, just consider what you plan on doing with the photos. If you're not going to print them, just bump down the size. If you are going to print, bump down the quality, so you'll have more latitude to crop. Either way, you should nearly double the amount of pics every time you drop down...

Oh yeah, I almost always shot in Cloudy WB, except indoors, which I think I shot incandescent...or maybe it was flourescent II...I can't remember, I never use that camera any more...

richwolf
03-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the tips.
Been doing some reading and it looks like the best thing to do is to take max resolution and min compression most of the time. I guess I will just have to spring for more memory cards for my trip to France, or figure a way to download them somewhere.
Been playing around with the camera settings, and I guess that is the best thing to do, and take notes and compare on the computer. 90 plus percent of my pictures will be outdoor landscapes, buildings etc.
I was expecting the SD300 to take better pictures but after looking at a bunch of test shots of competing cameras I think that is the way things are. Again probably a victim of tiny optics and a small camera size, although I am still amazed by the macro and movie capability.