PDA

View Full Version : Viewfinder dust affects picture

Lazaro Daniel
03-24-2005, 07:52 AM
I wonder if anyone has noticed dust specs on new cameras, which are visible through the viewfinder and also appear in the pictures. This is obviously a manufacture’s defect. It happen to me, not once, not twice, three times with three brand new cameras.
I recently decided to upgrade to a better camera and finally go into the convenience of digital. I’ve owned a Nikon N65 for several years—great little camera. I went for the Nikon D70. It’s a great deal with the $200 total rebate. However, after taking a few shots, I saw a small black line close to the upper right hand corner in the viewfinder. I continued shooting and after reviewing my pictures, I saw the same black line in the all the pictures that had a solid light color in that section. I never changed the lens. I bought the kit; I installed the lens at the store, and it stayed on all the time.
I took the camera back to the store to exchange it, but to my surprise, two more brand-new D70s had the same problem, dust specs. Not in the same place, they had dust specs, up to three, scattered around inside viewfinder. The dust specs on the last two cameras were less prominent than in the original one. I would venture to say must people would not have noticed, but I found them immediately because I was looking for them.
The salesperson said that this eventually happens to every camera—and it does, my N65 has a few—but that’s after years of switching lenses, and most of the time the specs stick to some part inside the camera, which doesn’t affect the picture.
I decided to return the camera and get a refund. I asked to see the Canon 20D, which was the other camera I was considering, and the viewfinder was clean, not one spec.
I could not believe that three cameras had the same problem. At the time I don’t have the budget to get the 20D with a lens comparable to the D70, which almost doubles the price. I guess I’ll try another D70 at another store to see what happens. Is this a common problem? Any thoughts?

amaphoto
03-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Try an E-300 that has exclusive supersonic dust remover. no more dust

D70FAN
03-24-2005, 10:18 AM
I wonder if anyone has noticed dust specs on new cameras, which are visible through the viewfinder and also appear in the pictures. This is obviously a manufacture’s defect. It happen to me, not once, not twice, three times with three brand new cameras.
I recently decided to upgrade to a better camera and finally go into the convenience of digital. I’ve owned a Nikon N65 for several years—great little camera. I went for the Nikon D70. It’s a great deal with the $200 total rebate. However, after taking a few shots, I saw a small black line close to the upper right hand corner in the viewfinder. I continued shooting and after reviewing my pictures, I saw the same black line in the all the pictures that had a solid light color in that section. I never changed the lens. I bought the kit; I installed the lens at the store, and it stayed on all the time.
I took the camera back to the store to exchange it, but to my surprise, two more brand-new D70s had the same problem, dust specs. Not in the same place, they had dust specs, up to three, scattered around inside viewfinder. The dust specs on the last two cameras were less prominent than in the original one. I would venture to say must people would not have noticed, but I found them immediately because I was looking for them.
The salesperson said that this eventually happens to every camera—and it does, my N65 has a few—but that’s after years of switching lenses, and most of the time the specs stick to some part inside the camera, which doesn’t affect the picture.
I decided to return the camera and get a refund. I asked to see the Canon 20D, which was the other camera I was considering, and the viewfinder was clean, not one spec.
I could not believe that three cameras had the same problem. At the time I don’t have the budget to get the 20D with a lens comparable to the D70, which almost doubles the price. I guess I’ll try another D70 at another store to see what happens. Is this a common problem? Any thoughts?

If you can see dust through the viewfinder that doesn't mean that it will show up in your pictures. If you see dust through the viewfinder AND the same exact dust speck shows up on the image, then the dust is not on the imager or the mirror, but on the lens somewhere... Think about it.

Your commentary here is pretty damning and I have to tell you that it has opened my eyes to a problem that in the 12 months, 2 days, and almost 6000 frames since buying a D70 I have never paid much attention to. And after careful consideration, I will probably choose to ignor it for the next 12 months, 2 days and 6000 frames. ;)

D70FAN
03-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Try an E-300 that has exclusive supersonic dust remover. no more dust

Let me start by saying that I may have read Lazaros post entirely wrong. If so, I appologize for what would then be a bit of a rant as follows:

A self cleaning sensor won't help in this case because according to the symptoms THE DUST IS ON THE LENS OR THE MIRROR. Read the post carefully. If you can see dust through the viewfinder, on a dSLR, it is not on the CCD/CMOS imager (behind the mirror). It has to be somewhere else in the optical path in front of (or on) the mirror. Through the process of elimination that leaves...the...lens.

The odds of having the same size dust particle on both the mirror and the imager (behind the mirror) in exactly the same position, are astronomical. But then to have this happen on 3 successive cameras puts this in the catagory of a miracle.

Again if I have misinterpreted the original post my appologies.

DownByFive
03-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Let me start by saying that I may have read Lazaros post entirely wrong. If so, I appologize for what would then be a bit of a rant as follows:

A self cleaning sensor won't help in this case because according to the symptoms THE DUST IS ON THE LENS OR THE MIRROR. Read the post carefully. If you can see dust through the viewfinder, on a dSLR, it is not on the CCD/CMOS imager (behind the mirror). It has to be somewhere else in the optical path in front of (or on) the mirror. Through the process of elimination that leaves...the...lens.

The odds of having the same size dust particle on both the mirror and the imager (behind the mirror) in exactly the same position, are astronomical. But then to have this happen on 3 successive cameras puts this in the catagory of a miracle.

Again if I have misinterpreted the original post my appologies.

I agree...If you can see the speck through the viewfinder, it's a physical impossibility that the speck is on the sensor, since the sensor is physically blocked by the reflex mirror that allows you to see through the viewfinder. Like George said, the culprit must be the lens if the specks are showing up in the viewfinder and on your pics...

Norm in Fujino
03-25-2005, 09:00 AM
A self cleaning sensor won't help in this case because according to the symptoms THE DUST IS ON THE LENS OR THE MIRROR.

Good detective work. You're obviously right if it's visible thru the vf.

tj2
06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
I have had an annoying 'speck' show up on my photos taken with my D70 for some time now. I only notice it when there is sky or some other light plain background. So I finally did an investigation as to where it might be. It's there when I look through the lens - through any lens. So it's not the lens. With a magnifying glass I looked on the mirror - no. But it may be on the inner plane of the eye piece - I could see it via reflection off the mirror in a certain light. But this makes no sense to me - because the actual image area is, I think, independent of the eye viewing mechanics, since the mirror lifts up and the light hits the plane behind it. I read a posting from Daniel Lazarro on this forum over a year ago now who has had the same problem. Can anyone explain this?

Vich
06-06-2006, 10:05 PM
If it's on your photos, and any lens, then check your sensor. I think it's a coincidence. As you say, you're sure it shows up on photos taken with any lens?

Obviously, there's a clear path from lens to sensor membrain. So if it ain't the lens (happens on all lenses), and it's on the photos, then it's th sensor.

If so, and you happen to have a spot on the mirror or in the viewfinder, then it'll still show there but not on the photos still.

TenD
06-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Probably a hair in or around the mirror somewhere. Trapped in there it may be visible through the VF and if in just the right place, it would also be recorded by the sensor even when the mirror moves. I had that problem once with my film camera, I thought the hair was just in my vf or on my mirror so I kept shooting, to my surprize every frame had a large black line in it. I removed my lens and sure enough there was a hair laying over the mirror, but when I tried to remove it it was stuck on something, and took quite a tug to dislodge.
Just an unfortunate event, and no reason to judge a brand, or particular camera, or level of camera. Dust and dirt (and maybe hair)is unfortunately a fact of life with a DSLR and even an eVolt with the ultrasonic cleaner probably wouldn't have helped here. I have seen Canons and Nikons with factory fresh dirt in them. The hair thing is pretty unusual and symtomatic of the general disreguard everywhere for quality control. It's easier (and cheaper) for the customer to be the qc inspector than it is to actually perform an adequate job at the factory.