PDA

View Full Version : Which Camera? Any suggestions?

Euan
08-20-2004, 02:55 AM
Hi,

I am currently looking at purchasing a new digital camera. I currently have a Kodak DC220 (yes - it's over 5 years old!) but I rarely use it, mostly because of the physical size of it. When I bought it in 1998 it was top of the range, 1 megapixel and costing about 400-500 (If I remember correctly).

I have done quite a bit of research on current digital cameras both online and by reading camera magazines over a coffee in the local Borders bookstore. I have seen various models I like and think I have a good idea of the features I am looking for.

1. Size - not too big. I would like it to ideally fit in my pocket. I think max size is around the size of the DX7630 but am open to suggestions. I would also plan on purchasing a case but it would need to be very small so as not to add much to the size of the camera.

2. Resolution - The main use will be for images on the internet but I shall also be printing 6" x 4" and A4 size prints (10" x 8"). Hence I require a resolution to give me high quality prints at A4 size. 4MP? 5MP?

3. Manual/Automatic - Whilst I don't require a full manual camera, I would like to have some manual features to allow me to experiment in the future.

4. Optical Zoom - I don't require a 7x/10x zoom as I know that the size of the camera would too big for me to use it regularly. 3x is a miniumum but more would be ideal. I don't care about digital zoom - would never use it.

5. Video - I would like to be able to record videos with sound, they don't need to be the best quality available but of decent viewing quality.

6. Memory - My preference is Secure Digital/MMC as my laptop has a built in SD/MMC reader and would make transfering images faster.

I am looking for a camera that will produce excellent pictures. My main uses will be outdoors, some indoors but very little in pubs/clubs, etc. I am looking for an above average start up time. As for cost no more than 250 (when bought online) which is probably just over $425.

I am open to any suggestions but please provide comments with regard to the points above.

Thanks in advance for taking time to respond.

Regards,
Euan

Rhys
08-20-2004, 04:29 AM
Hi,

I am currently looking at purchasing a new digital camera. I currently have a Kodak DC220 (yes - it's over 5 years old!) but I rarely use it, mostly because of the physical size of it. When I bought it in 1998 it was top of the range, 1 megapixel and costing about 400-500 (If I remember correctly).

I have done quite a bit of research on current digital cameras both online and by reading camera magazines over a coffee in the local Borders bookstore. I have seen various models I like and think I have a good idea of the features I am looking for.

1. Size - not too big. I would like it to ideally fit in my pocket. I think max size is around the size of the DX7630 but am open to suggestions. I would also plan on purchasing a case but it would need to be very small so as not to add much to the size of the camera.

2. Resolution - The main use will be for images on the internet but I shall also be printing 6" x 4" and A4 size prints (10" x 8"). Hence I require a resolution to give me high quality prints at A4 size. 4MP? 5MP?

3. Manual/Automatic - Whilst I don't require a full manual camera, I would like to have some manual features to allow me to experiment in the future.

4. Optical Zoom - I don't require a 7x/10x zoom as I know that the size of the camera would too big for me to use it regularly. 3x is a miniumum but more would be ideal. I don't care about digital zoom - would never use it.

5. Video - I would like to be able to record videos with sound, they don't need to be the best quality available but of decent viewing quality.

6. Memory - My preference is Secure Digital/MMC as my laptop has a built in SD/MMC reader and would make transfering images faster.

I am looking for a camera that will produce excellent pictures. My main uses will be outdoors, some indoors but very little in pubs/clubs, etc. I am looking for an above average start up time. As for cost no more than 250 (when bought online) which is probably just over $425.

I am open to any suggestions but please provide comments with regard to the points above.

Thanks in advance for taking time to respond.

Regards,
Euan

These are cameras taht might interest you: Camera List (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php?search=1&manSearch=0&resSearch=0&zoomSearch=0&storageSearch=8&priceSearch=0&lcdSearch=0&batterySearch=1&popSearch=Y&submit.x=25&submit.y=10)

If you were prepared to forget about manual controls then the Nikon 3200 would be good.

3 megapixels is all that's needed for A4 or 10x8.

speaklightly
08-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Currently there is a $US 100 rebate on the Nikon 3700. It is a virtually fully automatic 3mp digital camera that was reviewed right here on this website. You might want to look at that review.

You have a Kodak background. The Kodak DX-7440 which has been reviewed at steves-digicams, is a 4 mp digital camera that also produces excellent digital photos. It would certainly be able to meet your desire for A4 size enlargements. However, the DX-7440 is a good deal larger in size than the Nikon 3700.

You might want to take a look at these two digital cameras.

Sarah Joyce

Euan
08-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

As for the US$100 rebate, it's not applicable to me as I am from the UK. I would prefer some more manual options than it offers, if not for now then for the future.

I do very much like the look of the DX7440 and it seems to have a lot of good features.

Rhys, thanks for the list. I've taken a look at a few of them. I quite liked the Casio QV-R51

The DX7440 also seems to be the only non-massive zoom to have a 4x zoom and 4MP.

D70FAN
08-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

As for the US$100 rebate, it's not applicable to me as I am from the UK. I would prefer some more manual options than it offers, if not for now then for the future.

I do very much like the look of the DX7440 and it seems to have a lot of good features.

Rhys, thanks for the list. I've taken a look at a few of them. I quite liked the Casio QV-R51

The DX7440 also seems to be the only non-massive zoom to have a 4x zoom and 4MP.

Whenever someone is looking at the DX7440 I have a tendancy to recommend they look at the Canon A75, and that is true in this case as well.

If you were planning to print larger than A4, I would have thrown in the Canon A95, but the A75 should easily meet your requirements and won't break you budget as well.

Euan
08-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Whenever someone is looking at the DX7440 I have a tendancy to recommend they look at the Canon A75, and that is true in this case as well.

If you were planning to print larger than A4, I would have thrown in the Canon A95, but the A75 should easily meet your requirements and won't break you budget as well.
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Euan
08-23-2004, 02:54 AM

Yep, I saw the A75 and read that they are also bringing out the A95 but have released the A85... any idea what this is like?