PDA

View Full Version : Can you put a 500on lense onto a 300D?

luke71
03-22-2005, 03:30 PM
I am getting conflicting reports.

1.Can I put a 500n lense onto a 300D(rebel)?
The sales guy at Teds Camera(large chain in Aus) says you can but instead of the lense being a true 28mm-80 it will become like 42mm-...You have to times it by 1.5 when your putting film lense onto digital.

2. What the hell is talking about regarding the times 1.5?

The sales guy said as long as the Canon lense is autofocus and has EF written on it then you can, though someone else on this forum said otherwise.

We may just buy a 300D package but if we already have the lense.

gary_hendricks
03-22-2005, 03:47 PM
As far as I've heard, the Canon 500n lenses can go onto the 300D without problems.

D70FAN
03-22-2005, 03:47 PM
I am getting conflicting reports.

1.Can I put a 500n lense onto a 300D(rebel)?
The sales guy at Teds Camera(large chain in Aus) says you can but instead of the lense being a true 28mm-80 it will become like 42mm-...You have to times it by 1.5 when your putting film lense onto digital.

2. What the hell is talking about regarding the times 1.5?

The sales guy said as long as the Canon lense is autofocus and has EF written on it then you can, though someone else on this forum said otherwise.

We may just buy a 300D package but if we already have the lense.

Most dSLR's have a crop factor. This is due to the difference between the size of 35mm film and the APS-C size of the sensor. Since the lens is made to cover the focal area of 35mm film the difference is a factor of 1.3 to 1.6, and known as the crop factor.

On the Canon DReb, DReb XT and 20D this is 1.6X (not 1.5) the focal length rating of the lens. So your 28-80 is now 44.8-128. This is great on the telephoto end, but makes it tougher to get a wide angle lens with low distortion.

Most of the "kit" lenses that come with dSLR's start at 18mm so that you can still have a 28mm wide angle zoom.

Note that all lenses, including those designated as "Digital" must apply the crop factor multiplier.

Bottom line is: If you want to shoot wide angle equivalent to the 28mm of your 35mm film SLR then you will want a 17mm -18mm start point on the focal length rating on a dSLR. Any EF/AF type lens should be fully functional (Autofocus, and TTL) with the DReb.

luke71
03-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks alot George.

My girlfriend is the one whos wants to get stuck into Photography and both of us are off to Europe soon so a good time to start practicing .What we want is Wide angle lense, also 10xtype zoom(200mm?) and a Macro lense.

Now if we already have a 28mm-80mm(44.8) lense what other lense should we buy?, we both don't know to much about cameras.

Could peoples please recommend type of lenses for us to get

D70FAN
03-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks alot George.

My girlfriend is the one whos wants to get stuck into Photography and both of us are off to Europe soon so a good time to start practicing .What we want is Wide angle lense, also 10xtype zoom(200mm?) and a Macro lense.

Now if we already have a 28mm-80mm(44.8) lense what other lense should we buy?, we both don't know to much about cameras.

Could peoples please recommend type of lenses for us to get

For digital SLR use the 28-80 will have a very limited application range, and may even end up being left home most of the time. If it were a faster (f2.8) lens then maybe useful for portraits and low light landscapes, but I have a feeling that it is a standard f3.5 to 5.6 so...

While I may get some argument from the purists in the crowd, I use the Sigma 18-125 DC as my day-to-day walkaround lens. This lens has a couple of "work-arounds" (as all wide range zoom lenses do) but picture quality is not one of them, and they are minor compared to the utility of a wide angle 7X zoom.

You do have to watch the vignetting (darkening of corners) at some extremes (i.e. using a small aperture, like f5.6, at full 125mm zoom). I generally fix this in Photoshop or crop it out of the shot as it affects less than 10% of my photos.

Again this is really a minor glitch in an otherwise very good lens. Especially for $270. Here are some examples from my D70:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/197044

As always feel free to wander through my gallery. Most of the photos are shot with the Sigma lens.

Another option might be the new 18-200 (11X) zoom lenses hitting the market from both Sigma and Tamron. Despite some negative comments I have read on the Tamron, and again like most wide-angle long zooms, the picture quality seems to be very good when the lens is operated out of the extremes. Here are some first test shots using this lens with some Canon bodies. I think this lens has a price of around $400.

http://imageevent.com/microsaft/tamron

As you get further into photography you will no doubt start picking up some specialty lenses that are well out of the $$ range of these two lenses.