PDA

View Full Version : one more time. . .compact digital camera choice

reidmc
08-19-2004, 10:11 PM
I want to buy a digital camera which I will use mainly for travel (buildings; general outdoor scenery) and family events (people at picnics, parties etc.)

I know that I want a 4.0 or 5.0mp camera. I don't care about video performance, having super fast shutter recovery or having every single feature now available. I care most about overall photo quality -- looking for sharp photos, minimal noise, minimal distortion, reasonably accurate color, and though this looks like a lost cause, minimal red-eye. The only operating feature I really care about is shutter speed control, though I am happy to control it with "scenes" and don't need complete variability. My main interest here is being able to stop some outdoor action.

My list includes Sony P100, Nikon 4200, Olympus 410 and Minolta G500, however I have seen for each at least a couple of professional reviews that are hard on image quality - fuzzy, too much noise, weird color, blown-out detail etc. etc. Anyone willing to step out on a limb re: overall image quality of these or similar size/resolution cameras?

Thanks for your help.

D70FAN
08-20-2004, 12:07 PM
I want to buy a digital camera which I will use mainly for travel (buildings; general outdoor scenery) and family events (people at picnics, parties etc.)

I know that I want a 4.0 or 5.0mp camera. I don't care about video performance, having super fast shutter recovery or having every single feature now available. I care most about overall photo quality -- looking for sharp photos, minimal noise, minimal distortion, reasonably accurate color, and though this looks like a lost cause, minimal red-eye. The only operating feature I really care about is shutter speed control, though I am happy to control it with "scenes" and don't need complete variability. My main interest here is being able to stop some outdoor action.

My list includes Sony P100, Nikon 4200, Olympus 410 and Minolta G500, however I have seen for each at least a couple of professional reviews that are hard on image quality - fuzzy, too much noise, weird color, blown-out detail etc. etc. Anyone willing to step out on a limb re: overall image quality of these or similar size/resolution cameras?

Thanks for your help.

Even though it may not work as a true "pocket" camera, the new Canon A95 will certainly meet all of the other criteria. Every time I think that Canon has produced a great value in the A series they one-up themselves. The 1.8" swivel LCD and a tried & true 5MP imager for $399.

It's worth a test drive.

reidmc
08-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks George. . .I got spoiled by an old Olympus iZoom APS camera that fits in my pocket on vacation. Maybe I'll just get bigger pockets.

speaklightly
08-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Several digital cameras come to mind that fill your parameters.

HP R-707
Sony W-1
Sony V-1
Fuji E-550

Take a look at that group. Of those listed, the Fuji E-550 is a rather amazing digital camera, with 6mp, 4X optical zoom, jpeg and raw image output and very amazing digital photo results. Take a look.

Sarah Joyce

RobbieG
08-21-2004, 05:13 PM
Several digital cameras come to mind that fill your parameters.

HP R-707
Sony W-1
Sony V-1
Fuji E-550

Take a look at that group. Of those listed, the Fuji E-550 is a rather amazing digital camera, with 6mp, 4X optical zoom, jpeg and raw image output and very amazing digital photo results. Take a look.

Sarah Joyce

I've just started looking at digital cameras, and the E550 caught my eye as well, but I havn't found any reviews on it. Do you have any suggestions where I can look?

speaklightly
08-21-2004, 05:34 PM
No, I have not found a review of this camera yet. However, I do own this digital camera and I have created a Gallery of Fuji E-550 Digital Photos. Are there any questions that I can answer for you.

Sarah Joyce

RobbieG
08-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Not to take over this thread (should I start a new one?), but I started my digital camera search recently, and I"m basically looking for a camera with very good/high image quality, but convenient enough to take on a trip, and maybe oneday compliment a dslr (it seems like people recommend having a more convenient compact digital camera as well as a dslr). Basically the e550 is one of a few others that jumped out at me. I'd be interested in your opinioins/sample photos.

speaklightly
08-21-2004, 09:17 PM
That is what the Fuji E-550 really is! It is an extremely competent digital camera (at $US 340) with an honest 6mp of resolution, adjustible ISO and custom as well as automatic white balance settings and even raw and jpeg format images. It is the perfect learning tool today and later, the perfect shirt pocket sized compliment to a very effective DSLR.

Sarah Joyce

reidmc
08-23-2004, 11:22 AM
a95 is just a bit too big for me. After visiting a couple of camera stores, new list is Olympus 410, Canon elph 410 and a Casio exlim (4mp). Any thoughts about the latter? Seemed to have a nice lens; definitely a great LCD.

speaklightly
08-23-2004, 11:31 AM
I own the Casio Exslim Z-4 and I must tell you it is a very limited digital camera. It does fine in bright sunshine, but with anything less than that, and the digital photo quality begins to decline rapidly.

The Canon S-410, and the Elph Series in general, are a good choice. However the controls are very small and people with larger hands find the digital camera a chore to operate.

Is digital camera size your priority? Is so also take a look at the Sony W-1 and HP-R707.

Sarah Joyce