PDA

View Full Version : Canon S-1 lacking A-F assist lamp.

sierra997
08-19-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm planning on purchasing my first digital camera and I'm thinking about buying the S-1. I really do like this camera, but its lacking a couple of things in my opinion. They are the A-F assist lamp, a larger LCD and it should be a 4MP. I think if it had these features, it would be a no brainer. I see that the new A95 has a 1.8" flip out display. I wonder if the S-1 will get an upgrade to include this???

Anyways, my question is, does anyone have any issues with this camera not having the A-F assist lamp?

Todd

Ps. when did this camera first get released and any guess how long Canon usually waits before releasing a new model with upgrades to a previous one? I'm wondering if I should wait and see if some of my items on my wish list get addressed in a new model.

Rhys
08-20-2004, 03:24 AM
I'm planning on purchasing my first digital camera and I'm thinking about buying the S-1. I really do like this camera, but its lacking a couple of things in my opinion. They are the A-F assist lamp, a larger LCD and it should be a 4MP. I think if it had these features, it would be a no brainer. I see that the new A95 has a 1.8" flip out display. I wonder if the S-1 will get an upgrade to include this???

Anyways, my question is, does anyone have any issues with this camera not having the A-F assist lamp?

Todd

Ps. when did this camera first get released and any guess how long Canon usually waits before releasing a new model with upgrades to a previous one? I'm wondering if I should wait and see if some of my items on my wish list get addressed in a new model.

But the S1 has a flip-out display. I hardly ever use mine, preferring the lower power consumption of the viewfinder LCD.

As far as the AF assist is concerned, not having AF assist has never particularly worried me. I can always use manual focus and as an aisde, the photos one can normally take in light dim enough to merit AF assist will usually be so poor that they're not worth taking. Personally, I don't find using a tripod and manual focus any problem.

The only problems with the S1 are:
1. It needs improvements to the focussing - it doesn't always get it quite right,
2. The fine detail is often not quite fine enough for most people's tastes however, on my 720dpi printer, I don't see any problems.

mtpaper
08-20-2004, 07:08 AM
Hello -
I'm new to all this, but I have also been on the fence about the Canon S-1 and the Panasonic FZ-10 (I don't think either of them have the AF Assist).

But I read that the new Panasonics (FZ-3, FZ-15 & FZ-20) all have the AF Assist. So I'm holding off to read the reviews/comments after they're out and about.

Perhaps you can read about them, and see if they'll suit your needs.

Marion

slitman
09-08-2004, 07:22 PM

Yes! I have the Canon S1 and have not been happy with it compared to the G3 I had before it. Hold off until the successor comes out or go with the Panasonics FZ-15 or FZ-20.

NeoteriX
09-09-2004, 08:32 AM
I just bought the S1 IS about a week ago, and I've been really happy with it's performance. It has a great number of manual features and zoom, perfect for the up and coming enthusiast and it's something that pretty much exactly matches what I'm looking for -- I wanted something that represented a high state of features and technology, a generation old, so it remains at an accessible price.

The Panasonic FZ15 and FZ20 are going to be nice feature packed cameras, for sure, but they're not/barely even out, and the MSRP's are $500 and $600, respectively. Even the prior generation FZ10 is still at ~$430, the cheapest you can find online.

To me, that's the beauty of the S1 IS, which you can find for about a hundred dollars less at ~$315-$330 online. Maybe at it's original MSRP of $500, the lack of small features here and there and relatively small megapixel resolution would be a slap in the face, but seriously, at the price point of ~$330, I don't think one can do any better. Besides, I always have a high powered pen light on my keychain, so if I need an AF assist lamp... I can makeshift one. :)

Rhys
09-09-2004, 08:59 AM
I always have a high powered pen light on my keychain, so if I need an AF assist lamp... I can makeshift one. :)

That's about the most sensible thing I've heard of in this whole AF illuminator debate.

Personally, I can always use manual focus when necessary. I'm happy with that. I'm not happy to have an extra light on the camera burning away precious power. Thus I prefer no AF illuminator.

buzz
09-09-2004, 09:49 AM
The only complaint I have with the AF is that it seems slow at times compared to other cameras I have used. For the money, 3.2 mp is about all you can ask for. It is the minimum I would want, but it does a good job with the mp it has. The pictures from my S1 are far better than the 5mp Sony DSC T1 I had before. It may be comparing apples to oranges, since the sony is an ultra compact point and shoot, but with both cameras set on automatic everything and a clear sunny day, the S1 would still take much better photos.
My S230 3.2 point and shoot takes wonderful photos too. I bought the sony before I left on a trip because of its size, but the picture quality made me wish i had just bought another elph.