PDA

View Full Version : Panasinic FZ-10... Need Info!

shaked_i
07-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Hello everyone!
I am considering buying this camera next month.
Are there any issues i need to know about?
What are the pros and cons?
I need feedback from people who have the camera and use it regulary.

Thanks,

tony3d
07-02-2004, 05:22 AM
One of the main problems with this camera is it tends to make very bright exposures blowing out delicate highlights in bright sunshine images. To combat this, I set the ev to -2/3 and keep it there for all my outdoor shots. Indoor I shoot at 0 to -1/3. That's my main complaint, other than that this camera is the best deal on the market!

slk
07-02-2004, 06:40 AM
I had the same overexposure issues outdoors, until I removed the UV filter I was using. With just the lens hood (which IMO is probably adequate lens protection), the exposures are correct. If you want a filter for protection, a MC protector (clear multi-coated filter) might be a better choice. With any filter, I would recommend a generic 72mm wide angle lens hood.

Overall, with the FZ10:

Pros:
Huge bright (F/2.8 all the way) zoom
Very very sharp lens, with no blurry spots, vignetting, etc (though it does show a bit of barrel distortion at full wide)
OIS buys you 2-3 stops handheld (cancels camera shake, lets you do low light or big zoom without a tripod)
Fast AF with enough light
Excellent automatic modes for everyday shooting
Complete manual controls for when you need them
Hot shoe which accepts any 'standard' flash
Very fast overall, including a nice burst mode (rivals some DSLRs)
Just a "fun" camera to work with; it lets you pull off a lot of those "this will never work" shots.
Lens hood takes 72mm filters

Cons:
Built-in flash is all but worthless
EVF/LCD only; no optical viewfinder
EVF/LCD are not boosted; can make framing very dark night shots difficult
No AF assist; low light AF tends to 'hunt'
Cannot change battery or memory card while camera is on a tripod
No filters without lens hood
Uses SD memory, which is more expensive than Compact Flash

Overall, I really like the camera, and don't regret buying it a bit. The only current camera that compares is probably the Canon Powershot S1 IS (which wasn't out when I got the FZ10, and is quite a bit smaller/lighter but also only 3.2MP instead of 4MP)

John_Reed
07-05-2004, 08:22 AM
Odd that you should say that. I'm wondering what I have to do to tame my FZ10 flash down so that it doesn't over-illuminate. I'm always using it at -1 to -2 flash bias. For filters, I'm using a Pemaraal PD62 adapter, which screws on in place of the original chrome ring around the lens barrel, and thus gives me 62mm mounting threads. I actually also have a 62-55 stepdown ring mounted on that to accommodate my TCON-17 lens. I find that with that stuff in place, there is no vignetting, and the lens is protected very well without any filters. Moreover, the PD62 extends the gripping area of the barrel beyond the focus ring, affording a very nice feel for the camera.

D70FAN
07-08-2004, 04:26 PM
John. When did you retire the old 12x zoom Nano-pixel and jump to the 21st century? I are proud of ya.

Now, about that jump to light speed called the dSLR... :D

John_Reed
07-08-2004, 08:39 PM
John. When did you retire the old 12x zoom Nano-pixel and jump to the 21st century? I are proud of ya.

Now, about that jump to light speed called the dSLR... :D
George, I made the mistake of thinking I could tighten the thing up myself, and took it apart, but when I put it back together, no-show. But you're just pixel-hungry. I'm not strong enough to be able to take hand-held shots with that big monster you call a camera! But if you'll hold your D70 steady, I'll be glad to snap the Goldfinch roosting on its ample lens barrel! :eek:

D70FAN
07-08-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure that 12X will quite reach 700 miles, but give it a try. The FZ-10 always surprises me.

Wait-a-mo-ment. I have here a 105-450mm (equivelent) zoom and a very clean ISO 1600. Put that Goldfinch on your (ahem! :o ) ample barrel and me and my trusty (FZ-10 sized) D70 will try to pick you out of the clutter, that is the Bay Area. And, yes, the pool is very nice thanks.

I gotta get a life...

Jake Conner
07-08-2004, 10:41 PM
"I gotta get a life"

Nick posted one over in the pentax forum....

John_Reed
07-09-2004, 06:44 AM
I have here a 105-450mm (equivelent) zoom and a very clean ISO 1600. Put that Goldfinch on your (ahem! :o ) ample barrel and me and my trusty (FZ-10 sized) D70
Stick that zoom lens on your trusty D70, and it could eat my FZ10 for lunch and still have room inside for one more for dessert! :p

David Elson
07-09-2004, 01:25 PM
John,
:( I'm sorry to hear of the demise of your FZ1.
But I see you have still stayed in the family by buying its bigger brother. I have been tempted I must admit for the times when I have not wanted to take the 300D with me. Although those times are getting to be few and far between.
What is your top ISO before noise starts to show on the FZ10 John.

David

John_Reed
07-09-2004, 02:54 PM
What is your top ISO before noise starts to show on the FZ10 John.
David, I'm maybe a little free with the ISO. I leave it on Auto all the time nowadays. (Comes from getting spoiled by my FZ1v2) It usually doesn't go up to 400, except for flash shots. It seems to me like I've gotten some pretty clean, useable shots even at ISO 400, but technically, I'd have to say that noise starts showing up around ISO 200. I'm still intending to get Noise Ninja for those cases where it really bothers me, but I haven't yet. I just looked at a flash shot I took of my wife last evening; it looks totally clean (printably clean) at ISO 200. You'd like this camera, David. People say it's big, but it isn't that big, and it's as easy to love as the FZ1; I'm sure you know what I mean by that! :)

aldon
07-16-2004, 07:26 AM
John,

I hope you love your wife as much as your FZ10.

But when the FZ20 is released.....

John_Reed
07-16-2004, 10:43 AM
John,

I hope you love your wife as much as your FZ10.

But when the FZ20 is released.....
I held out a long time against the FZ10, and it took the demise of my FZ1 (under my own knife, I sadly add) to force me to make a new buying decision. The new FZ15/20 may have lots of bells and whistles, but the FZ10 will keep me happy for some time to come, I'm sure, in a way that hopefully won't endanger my relationship with my wife! It does seem to be true, regarding the "love" issue, that I know of more FZ owners who say they "love" their cameras than any other type of camera I'm familiar with. With its zoom/IS capabilities, it's made photography a lot more fun for me than any other camera I've ever used. Is that only my myopic, biased view?

morkys
07-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Yep, I'm thinking of one of these. I wanted to get a small camera that will fit in my pocket, but then again, I like taking wildlife pictures, so I'm stuck on these 10-12x zoom camera's and the IS ones even more.

The Panny DMC-FZ10 has a 35-420mm zoom and 4 MP resolution.
The Canon S1 IS has about 38-380mm zoom and 3 MP resolution, plus the Canon has an awesome 640 x 480 30 fps video mode :)

Really I wish the Canon S1 IS was 4 MP or that the Panny had the wicked video mode.

Comparing the two, how much difference does 4 MP vs 3 MP make here? The Canon has fairly low noise, good optics (apart from some chromatic aberation at full tele, which I see can be fixed at higher F stops).

So convince me I should spend more for the Panny and do without the wicked 640x480-30 fps video mode.

Jake Conner
07-19-2004, 06:28 PM
The FZ10 is being replaced tomorrow. The new models might have a better movie mode.

Jake

Cailean
07-22-2004, 01:58 PM
I have had my FZ10 for about 2 weeks and have taken just over 1000 shots (mostly garbage test shots, etc.)

My camera experience is limited and this camera was a BIG step up for me. My previous camera was a 6 year old Advantix (APS) - stop laughing! I wanted to learn how to take great photographs (as opposed to snap-shots) but also wanted to switch to digital. A DSLR was out of my price range and probably out of my league. The FZ10 was a perfect fit.

The first lesson I learned with my Lumix was to trust the camera... I tried to out-think it by getting fancy with the settings, etc. and found the camera did a better job on its own in any of the auto settings (P, macro, pan, etc.)

The only adjustment I make regularly now is dimming the flash when using it as fill in backlight situations... this would have been a nice auto setting for the flash.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this camera - it is making my transition to sophisticated photography a pleasurable experience.

speaklightly
07-22-2004, 03:21 PM
22 July 2004

We own the FZ-10 and like it. It performs well. However, just be aware that this is a physically large digital camera. It takes 72mm accessories and filters.

Sarah Joyce

Cailean
07-23-2004, 06:29 PM
I actually prefer the "large" size of the FZ10... I always find small P&S cameras hard to hold comfortably and steadily. The FZ10 is also quite a bit lighter than I expected... all that glass in the front end makes it look heavier than it really is!