PDA

View Full Version : *ist DS reverse compatibility

GRS
03-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi, I'm a student looking into dSLRs after shooting with a Pentax K1000 for several years. My quest for the right dSLR could be made alot simpler if someone could tell me whether my fully manual K1000's lenses are compatible with the *ist DS. I'd probably buy a normal AF lens, but I have some lenses in my collection that I would like to continue using with my new camera that wouldn't be easily replaced for me (500mm mirror, 400mm etc..) Any helps much appreciated.
Thanks,
Geoff.

Rhys
03-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi, I'm a student looking into dSLRs after shooting with a Pentax K1000 for several years. My quest for the right dSLR could be made alot simpler if someone could tell me whether my fully manual K1000's lenses are compatible with the *ist DS. I'd probably buy a normal AF lens, but I have some lenses in my collection that I would like to continue using with my new camera that wouldn't be easily replaced for me (500mm mirror, 400mm etc..) Any helps much appreciated.
Thanks,
Geoff.

I believe the *ist will work with K, KA, KAF and KAF2 lenses. Check the Pentax site for more info.

GRS
03-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Lens Mount: PENTAX KAF bayonet mount (by using AF adapter)

Does this mean I'll need an adapter to use fully manual focus lenses?

Usable Lens: PENTAX KAF2-, KAF-, and KA-mount lenses.
* Power zoom function not available. K-mount lenses usable with restrictions. S-mount lenses usable with adapter.
67/645 lenses usable with adapter and restrictions.

Could someone help me identify which lens type I have? It's labelled (just one for example "SMC PENTAX - M"

Thanks.

jeisner
03-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Yes your pentax-m (manual) lenses will work fine, no adaptor needed....

Basically all Bayonet mounted lenses will work, and screw mount will also work but an adaptor is required....

Your M lenses will work in 'M' mode, you use the apeture dial on the lens to set say f4 then you press the AE-L button to meter (sets shutter speed for you) you can then accept the setting or adjust as you wish, then just shoot away, obviously you also have to switch the focus mode from AF to MF....

GRS
03-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Ah, thank you both, this makes my choice a no brainer.