PDA

View Full Version : f-stops and shutter speed

WhatsFonzieLike
03-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Hello everyone. I am reading Understanding Exposure and in this book Peterson talks about various f-stops, such as f/11, f/16, f/22. These are stops that are used when someone wants a large depth of field. I recently bought a Panasonic FZ-20 and as most know it's largest f-stop is f/8. Does this mean that I can't achieve certain depths of field because he uses these f-stops in a lot of photographs, i.e landscapes?
About shutter-speed he also talks about going up and down a stop in shutter speed. The FZ-20 goes in smaller increments. Could someone tell me what the actual shutter speed stop values are? Thank You.

sherlock
03-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Hello everyone. I am reading Understanding Exposure and in this book Peterson talks about various f-stops, such as f/11, f/16, f/22. These are stops that are used when someone wants a large depth of field. I recently bought a Panasonic FZ-20 and as most know it's largest f-stop is f/8. Does this mean that I can't achieve certain depths of field because he uses these f-stops in a lot of photographs, i.e landscapes?
About shutter-speed he also talks about going up and down a stop in shutter speed. The FZ-20 goes in smaller increments. Could someone tell me what the actual shutter speed stop values are? Thank You.

Hey,

With all in ones like your Panasonic, the sensor is smaller than DSLR's and much smaller than 35mm film. In this way, f/8 on your panasonic should give you a large DOF if you wanted it. Also, the actual stop increments are 1 second, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/125, 1/500, 1/1000 and so on, all you do is just half the number, and you've got the next fastest stop. To go slower than 1 second, just double the number, so it would go 1 second, 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 8 seconds etc. I hope this all helps, and if I'm wrong someone correct me!

Andrew S.