PDA

View Full Version : Canon S1 IS

randomgr
08-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Hello to everyone.
I've read the post about the S1 IS with great interest, however I'm still unsure if I should buy the S1 IS.

My main concerns are:
1) Endurance. My ixus v3 (s230) has taken many hits during skiing and never complained. Is the S1 IS as tough?

2) Size. My ixus can easily fit into a side jeans pocket along with a cell phone and other stuff whereas the S1 IS barely fits in. A solution would be to use a neck strap but I would then feel stupid... =)) An other solution would be to use jacket pockets where it can easily fit.

3) This might sound stupid, but the ixus cameras are jewels, the coolest cameras ever (flame guard: _my_ opinion =))

So in general I am concerned about its external features...

As an alternative I'm thinking of the A80 (canon fan here), which doesn't suffer from any of the problems mentioned but also lacks is and 10x zoom...

Thanks a lot for your time!

D70FAN
08-19-2004, 12:09 PM
Hello to everyone.
I've read the post about the S1 IS with great interest, however I'm still unsure if I should buy the S1 IS.

My main concerns are:
1) Endurance. My ixus v3 (s230) has taken many hits during skiing and never complained. Is the S1 IS as tough?

2) Size. My ixus can easily fit into a side jeans pocket along with a cell phone and other stuff whereas the S1 IS barely fits in. A solution would be to use a neck strap but I would then feel stupid... =)) An other solution would be to use jacket pockets where it can easily fit.

3) This might sound stupid, but the ixus cameras are jewels, the coolest cameras ever (flame guard: _my_ opinion =))

As an alternative I'm thinking of the A80 (canon fan here), which doesn't suffer from any of the problems mentioned but also lacks is and 10x zoom...

Probably, the most compact ultra zoom, with Image Stabilization (IS), is, or will be, the FZ3. Weather it can take a "hit" or not I couldn't tell you. But John Reed beat the heck out of his FZ1 (the older 2MP version) shooting birds out in the Shoreline Refuge (at least in his description). I think he broke it on purpose so that he could buy the FZ10 (which also finds birds like a bird-dog).

But for $399!!!

A pocketable 12X, f2.8, IS, with AF Illuminator... Unheard of.

Rhys
08-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Hello to everyone.

My main concerns are:

The Canon S1 IS is definitely NOT a rugged camera. It is a delicate plastic instrument capable in the right hands of producing exquisite photographs. For rugged, you need smaller cameras. I cannot imagine anybody getting an S1 into their jeans pocket - it's simply too big. I would suggest investing in a backpack and some padded foam to protect the S1 while you're skiing.