PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cheap, easy-to-use, minimal features but quality pictures, camera.

nwn-uk
08-19-2004, 09:09 AM
First of all, sorry if someone's already asked an identical question, but I looked at as many of the threads as my tired eyes would let me :) and let's face it there are new cameras comming out all the time.

What I'm looking for is the following:

1. An easy-to-use camera, not too complicated, and preferabley compact though uber/tiny/mini size is not a must.

2. A camera with decent power usage, i.e. one that doesn't drain duracell AA's (the batteries) within a few hours of picture taking.

3. I'm not at all bothered about the fancy features such as mp3 players, video recording, etc. But I AM interested in features such as the red-eye reduction, 3x zoom, easy-to-use flash (automatic light detecing levels type stuff.)

4. A fair/decent picture quality, I won't be taking pictures of too many sunsets or coral reefs etc. mostly of people and family type stuff.

5. The price! I'm not looking to spend over 100 ($183).

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Rhys
08-19-2004, 10:16 AM
First of all, sorry if someone's already asked an identical question, but I looked at as many of the threads as my tired eyes would let me :) and let's face it there are new cameras comming out all the time.

1. An easy-to-use camera, not too complicated, and preferabley compact though uber/tiny/mini size is not a must.

2. A camera with decent power usage, i.e. one that doesn't drain duracell AA's (the batteries) within a few hours of picture taking.

3. I'm not at all bothered about the fancy features such as mp3 players, video recording, etc. But I AM interested in features such as the red-eye reduction, 3x zoom, easy-to-use flash (automatic light detecing levels type stuff.)

4. A fair/decent picture quality, I won't be taking pictures of too many sunsets or coral reefs etc. mostly of people and family type stuff.

Ok. All digital cameras will go through Duracells like a dose of salts. Use rechargable NIMH batteries and they'll work for a lot longer, are cheaper and will save you money.

There aren't really any worthwhile digital cameras under about 150 unless you get an end-of-line Nikon 3100.

The 3100 is an easy-to-use, compact - shirt pocket sized camera.

D70FAN
08-19-2004, 10:26 AM

Yikes! You don't give us much to work with.

1. My first recommendation would have been the Canon A75, as it would easily meet your requirements, but it runs about $250. You might be able to find it cheaper than that on-line.

2. Never use alkaline batteries in a digital camera. It's not that they are bad for the camera, but they are not designed for the high instantaneous power required by digitals. Fortunately the A75 uses AA rechageables (even though it ships with Alkalines) so you will want to get a couple of sets of NiMH (2000mAH or higher) and a charger. The A75 will get several hundred pictures (with some flash use) per charge.

3. I don't think I've seen an MP3 player on a legitimate digital camera. That said, even a really low-end $100 consumer digital has a movie mode of some type. The A75 is no exception, and in addition also has an Auto Focus (AF) illuminator that helps the camera focus in low light, and the anit-red-eye works better than most in this size/price range.

4. OK. But again, most modern digitals can do this. It's not a special feature.

5. There are some 3x zooms on the market for less than 100, but you will have to hunt for them. As I said you might even find the A75 for that price, but normally it runs about $229 to $259.

Good luck on your quest, and let us know how it turns out.

jamison55
08-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Your request isn't that unreasonable, almost all camera manufacturers these days make a camera that fulfills all that you are looking for. Here's a short list:

Kodak 7330
Fuji A330 or A340
Olympus 540
Pentax Optio 30

All of the above cameras are at least 3mp's, are made by real camera companies, so their optics are ok, have at least a 3x zoom, and are designed to be as easy and automatic as possible...and they are all less than $200. I have been looking for a cheap carry-anywhere camera to compliment my DReb and 5050 (neither of which are pocket sized), and have been watching both the Fuji A330 and the Pentax Optio 30 as possible contenders!