PDA

View Full Version : Canon Digital Rebel

boog
03-19-2005, 04:50 AM
I am an intermediate photographer and have just bought the Canon Digital Rebel. I have loved it so far but apparently need to try other slr's because not many people have had real good things to say about it. The price drop due to the new XT model was my main reason for purchase. The reason for message is question about compact flash cards. Would regular cf card be sufficent or do you need one of the professional cf cards? Is there that much difference between the two? Thanks for help.

Ant
03-19-2005, 05:30 AM
I'm surprised you say that not many people have good things to say about the rebel. I get the impression that most owners are happy with theirs.

Regular CF cards will be fine for you. The more expensive ones are faster but the Digital rebel isn't really a very fast camera so I'm not sure that you'll see any benefit from them.

boog
03-19-2005, 05:46 AM
I'm happy with mine, probably shouldn't have said that. Just some of post I've read, people had a tendency to have few more nit picky things to say about it. Thanks for your reply.

boog
03-19-2005, 06:41 AM
What's everyone's opinion on Compact Flash vs. CF II microdrive? Thanks.

Ant
03-19-2005, 07:07 AM
Get compact flash.

The big advantage of microdrives used to be that they were cheaper for very large volumes, but that's not really the case any more as the price of CF has come down a lot. There's also less to go wrong with CF.

ReF
03-22-2005, 03:28 AM
I'm pretty happy with my d-rebel. yes there is plenty of room for improvement but for the price i paid, i can't really complain. i feel that the biggest weakness of the camera is it's lack of speed and buffer. this is a real problem when shooting in RAW with bracketing. i have a sandisk ultra 2 card and a regular sandisk card and there is really a noticable difference in write speed and playback speed. i would recommend getting one of the faster cards because the Rebel needs all the help it can get when it comes to read/write speed. though i'm already planning to upgrade, it's still an awesome cam considering the picture quality and price. if you're having doubts about the rebel, consider this: i captured a lot of excellent pics at the monterey aquarium with this camera - those pictures wouldn't have come out nearly as good on anything less. i had to bump the ISO up to 800 and even 1600 for most of my shots. at ISO 1600 the noise level reminded me of ISO 200 on point and shoot cameras; at 800 the noise was invisible in shots with many small details until sharpening is applied. i ran the images through NeatImage and they came out looking like there was no noise to begin with, all without any real, perceivable detail loss. i also should say that film has much more grain than digital SLR's. focusing was also fast enough to capture the faster moving creatures. i've gotta say that i am REALLY happy with the image quality from this cam. sure you can get better performance in every catagory with the 20D but not everyone has $1300 to spend on a body.

D70FAN
03-22-2005, 05:29 AM
I am an intermediate photographer and have just bought the Canon Digital Rebel. I have loved it so far but apparently need to try other slr's because not many people have had real good things to say about it. The price drop due to the new XT model was my main reason for purchase. The reason for message is question about compact flash cards. Would regular cf card be sufficent or do you need one of the professional cf cards? Is there that much difference between the two? Thanks for help.

When the DReb was $1000, and Nikon introduced the D70, critiques tended to be harsh as the DReb was a tad slower and Canon deactivated many features to keep it from competing with the 10D.

Now, at $600 (or so) it is venturing into all-in-one territory, and is a great entry level dSLR.

I would buy faster cards just for the quicker download time, and while it won't make the DReb any speedier, who knows when it might find its way into a 20D down the road. ;)

eagle17
03-22-2005, 06:01 AM
I second what george said 100% the only problem with a dreb was the price when compared with the istD and D70. but now it is a very fair price for a very good camera... I have seen many shots taken with a dreb that simply amazed me...

I would also like to recomend a personal favorite of mine, thanks to george.

the sigma 18-125mm lens if you have the kit I would recomend quickly selling its lens (you should be able to get upwards of $70 for it used) and invest that into the 18-125 for around $270 new... there is also an 18-200 that should be out soon although i am not sure what price it will fetch.