PDA

View Full Version : Casio exilim z55 versus Canon SD300

dkhandabi
03-18-2005, 10:03 AM
I have narrowed my search between Casio exilim z55 versus Canon SD300. Everyone tells me that I should go with Canon because of the better name, saying that the canon must give better quality pictures. Can anyone offer any advice, and reccomendations. What will be the difference between the two.

PattyRes
03-21-2005, 08:39 PM
I just bought the Casio z55 and I am very disappointed with the included software. It seems like a neat little camera otherwise, but if you will be relying on the software that comes with it to download the photos and print them, you will find it old and out of date. I had a Canon Elph 110 before, and even four years ago, their supplied software was better than this.

dkhandabi
03-22-2005, 07:03 PM
I dont really care too much about the software because I am not really into editing my pictures. I actually store everything on windows. I mostly care about picture quality. How is the picture quality during the day, and also during the night. What is the quality of the lcd?

Thanks

jfinite
04-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Just wanted to say that I love my z55. I've had it for about 4 months now. The picture quality is excellent outdoors. Indoors, I've found the flash more than acceptable, it could be improved, but that's true of any digicam. I like this cam for it's size, features and image quality. Night shots can turn out well if you use the appropriate settings and use a tripod or set the camera on something immovable, and use the timer. This cam goes everywhere with me and is great for capturing impromptu shots. Just my $0.02.

Oh yeah, the LCD is gorgeous, some folks would like more pixels, but it is so large and clear, it works great for me. It was another selling factor for me. If I were buying now, I might go for the z57, as it doesn't have an optical viewfinder, but is a slightly larger LCD. I never use the one on my z55 anyway! And I've shot 200 pics at a time without exhausting the battery, another selling point for me (Casio docs say 400 shot battery life, I'm inclined to believe them).

Zenigata
04-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Is it true the LCD is very grainly in low light situations?

Is the LCD protected as Canon A75/A520 or unprotected as Canon SD series? Is the LCD easy to scratch?

Thanks.

juliezim
04-11-2005, 12:10 PM
I too am comparing the Casio Exilim with cannon's small pocket cameras - and I have a lot of red flags on the fragile LCD screens on the other-wise attractive SD300 - I called Canon tech support to discuss it - the rep was evasive about warranty on this issue, claimed people should NOT carry them in purses (why else would I buy a small camera??) or pants pockets - they consider the problems to be user carelessness. I also noticed many of the complaints happened in January February - he said they should not be left in a car overnight. Some people have had fabulous luck with this camera, one guy takes it skiing - but I'm a little leary of Canon's support should I get a lemon.

Zenigata
04-11-2005, 01:33 PM
the rep was evasive about warranty on this issue, claimed people should NOT carry them in purses (why else would I buy a small camera??) or pants pockets - they consider the problems to be user carelessness. .

If I buy a such small camera, I want to carry it everywhere. So the question is: are Casio cameras so fragile?

David Metsky
04-11-2005, 01:35 PM
I've carried my SD300 in pockets while hiking and skiing this winter, and it's doing just fine. I don't fine the screen to be particularly fragile, and I'm rather rough with gear. I can't speak to the Casio but I'm not worried about my Canon just yet.

-dave-

Zenigata
04-11-2005, 01:39 PM
I've carried my SD300 in pockets while hiking and skiing this winter, and it's doing just fine. I don't fine the screen to be particularly fragile, and I'm rather rough with gear. I can't speak to the Casio but I'm not worried about my Canon just yet.

-dave-

I've noticed the LCD screen of Ixus isn't covered by glass or plastic.

chriss
08-11-2005, 02:09 PM
I've had the EX-50 for 5 months now. I always carry it in my front jeans pocket or my cargo pants pocket. I try not to smash it against anything, but it has been very reliable, I am really happy with it. I agree, though, that the downloading software really sucks.

veasna25i
10-09-2005, 06:46 AM
if your aiming for quality, Canon is my number one recommended choice.

doctorjerry
10-29-2005, 06:16 PM
There is a simple trick to protecting the LCD which are fragile on all cameras. go to a stationary store or e-Bay and order a set os PDA screen protectors. Cut it down to size and apply it to the screen. I've been doing that for years on all my cameras and it is very worthwhile. You can buy these on e-bay for less than 10 (including shipping) for a package of 10 or 12.

Jerry