PDA

View Full Version : Silly question about nikon lens

vitco
03-18-2005, 07:36 AM
Hi,
I have been using my Nikon N80 35mm SLR camera for 5 years. I use this camera with the standard lens (Nikon Nikkor 28mm-80mm AF) and a tele lens (Quantaray 80mm-300mm AF). I have invested my money on various filters and I am quite happy with the system.

Coming to the digital age, I have a 2 year old simple Nikon Coolpix 3100. It is a tiny point & shoot camera but already showing some problems. So, I want a transition into a prosumer model Digital camera, to make use of my 35mm SLR usage skills. I looked at following models:

1. The SLR-like digital cameras Canon Powershot G6 and Sony DSC-V3. They have quite nice features and reasonable price. I am little hesitant to purchase all the accessories like tele/wide len, flashlight for these models.
2. Go for true DSLR camera like Nikon D70 or Canon 300D Rebel EOS. Coming to my silly question, can I make use of the lenses I have for Nikon N80 with the DSLR like Nikon D70. Since, I have spent enough on 35mm SLR camera, I am thinking if I can use the accessories for DSLR camera. If so, are there any other DSLR cameras that are compatible with Nikon Nikkor/Quantaray lenses.

I know it is a long story, but appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

sherlock
03-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Hi,
I have been using my Nikon N80 35mm SLR camera for 5 years. I use this camera with the standard lens (Nikon Nikkor 28mm-80mm AF) and a tele lens (Quantaray 80mm-300mm AF). I have invested my money on various filters and I am quite happy with the system.

Coming to the digital age, I have a 2 year old simple Nikon Coolpix 3100. It is a tiny point & shoot camera but already showing some problems. So, I want a transition into a prosumer model Digital camera, to make use of my 35mm SLR usage skills. I looked at following models:

1. The SLR-like digital cameras Canon Powershot G6 and Sony DSC-V3. They have quite nice features and reasonable price. I am little hesitant to purchase all the accessories like tele/wide len, flashlight for these models.
2. Go for true DSLR camera like Nikon D70 or Canon 300D Rebel EOS. Coming to my silly question, can I make use of the lenses I have for Nikon N80 with the DSLR like Nikon D70. Since, I have spent enough on 35mm SLR camera, I am thinking if I can use the accessories for DSLR camera. If so, are there any other DSLR cameras that are compatible with Nikon Nikkor/Quantaray lenses.

I know it is a long story, but appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

Hey,

I'm almost positive that the 28-80mm AF will work on the D70, and also the quantrary 80-300 should work as long as it is AF mount. Just remember, the focal length will be multiplied by 1.5 on the D70.

Andrew S.

Samuel Lo
03-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey,

I'm almost positive that the 28-80mm AF will work on the D70, and also the quantrary 80-300 should work as long as it is AF mount. Just remember, the focal length will be multiplied by 1.5 on the D70.

Andrew S.

I agree with Andrew that you should get a D70 since it will work your Lens , filters and accessories, so you just have to buy a body and memory card. I don't see why you have to switch to Canon and spend money to have a new system. BTW, D70 is an excellent DSLR. You can also choose Nikon's D2X or D2H, they are better than D70 but much more expensive. Others choices are Fujifilm's S3 pro and Kodak's DSC PRO/n, they are all use Nikon Lenses and accessories.

dwig
03-19-2005, 06:00 AM
Any Nikon-mount lens with electrical contacts (these are mostly the AF mounts) will work with the D70. Its limitations are with those older lenses that lack the electrical connections as it doesn't use the old mechanical meter coupling tabs.

The D70, like most dSLR's, is a smaller format camera than standard 35mm. The field of view of your lenses will be narrower on the D70 than on the N80. While the actually focal length doesn't change, the field of view change will make the 28-80 _look_ like a 42-120 would on the N80. Still quite useful but since you've been using a WA (28mm) on your N80, you will probably not be satisfied with the lack of one on the D70. You will probably want to purchase a WA, either a 18mm lens or a zoom that covers that focal length.

jet steven
03-21-2005, 01:29 AM
:D D70 is good ,it will not disappoint you .
BTW,if you want to use the wide length,you should buy a WA lens,but it seems the cost will not be small.
if you want to use a tele lens ,i think 70-300/f4-f5.6G is good,because it's very cheap,here is a picture shoot by it.