PDA

View Full Version : Canon S1 IS movie (grains)

aeapen
08-19-2004, 02:30 AM
Is there any manual setting for recording Movie. I found the movies recorded in my new Canon S1 IS are having more grains (noise). Does any one know how to eleminate those grains. Even the day light movies are having grains. Photos are sharp. I compaired with the sample movies and was very dissapointed. Please help me.... Does shutter speed or ISO setting affect movie?? :(

Rhys
08-19-2004, 02:44 AM
Is there any manual setting for recording Movie. I found the movies recorded in my new Canon S1 IS are having more grains (noise). Does any one know how to eleminate those grains. Even the day light movies are having grains. Photos are sharp. I compaired with the sample movies and was very dissapointed. Please help me.... Does shutter speed or ISO setting affect movie?? :(

There are two quality settings for the video. Set for highest quality. I bet it's still set for economy mode.

With teh S1 video you have settings for:
Size - 320x240 or 640x480
frame-rate - 15 or 30
Quality - fine or the other setting

I suspect you need to change the quality setting.

aeapen
08-19-2004, 02:58 AM
I am new to this camera. I will do those setting to maximum
and will let you know the result soon.

Thank you

aeapen
08-19-2004, 05:11 AM
I checked my camera and the setting are
640x480 Fine and 30fps. Still I have grains
my the video. I can send you the sample movies
taken indoor and outdoor of 2MB (1 sec.) each. What
else could be wrong?

Rhys
08-19-2004, 05:33 AM
I checked my camera and the setting are
640x480 Fine and 30fps. Still I have grains
my the video. I can send you the sample movies
taken indoor and outdoor of 2MB (1 sec.) each. What
else could be wrong?

try viewing This video (http://uk.geocities.com/rhys_sage) . It's in AVI format, from my S1.

aeapen
08-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Excellent clip. This is exaclty what I am expecting.
My clip is full of grains. I've sent both indoor and
outdoor movie clips to your yahoo account. Total
size of 2 MB each. If you set it to low quality, will
it be grainy like my video?

Rhys
08-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Excellent clip. This is exaclty what I am expecting.
My clip is full of grains. I've sent both indoor and
outdoor movie clips to your yahoo account. Total
size of 2 MB each. If you set it to low quality, will
it be grainy like my video?

Yes. I tried some at the normal quality settings and they were horrible.

buzz
08-26-2004, 04:44 PM
I think you may have gotten a bad camera or something. The video I take with my S1 is awesome. The other consideration is your memory card. If you have a card that is slow, your video quality will be degraded.

Rhys
08-27-2004, 04:30 AM
I think you may have gotten a bad camera or something. The video I take with my S1 is awesome. The other consideration is your memory card. If you have a card that is slow, your video quality will be degraded.

My understanding was that the camera has a 1gb buffer built in, which should carry you through.

buzz
08-27-2004, 07:07 AM
Im not sure, but I would almost bet my paycheck that the camera does not have a 1 gig buffer. Ill have to research that one.

I would try a different flash card and see what happens.

david1957bennett
08-27-2004, 08:24 PM

Does the memory card play a significant role in the quality of the video?
I see so many different cards, what card would be recommended for the S1? This is the camera I am considering, especially for the video capabilities.
I want to try and capture some videos of my mother and have some good memories of her.

buzz
08-28-2004, 04:06 AM
From what I have read, the write speed of the memory can affect the quality of the video. Whether it is more grainy or jerky, I don't know. If the card can't keep up, it will either end up dropping frames or not capture everything that is was designed to. With all of the X speed ratings out now, you 'should' be able to use that to gauge what you need to get for a given camera...The review on the camera over at Steve's says the 640X480 Fine mode uses 2mb/s. So if you get a card that does at least that, you should be good to go.

aeapen
08-30-2004, 06:12 AM
I've used the default High Speed 32MB card that comes with the camera. Buzz, if u think I got a bad camera, can you check my video files and let me know. I would appreciate it. I can send u the files of 2-3MB sizes. (which is just 1-2seconds movie).

Rhys
08-30-2004, 08:10 AM
I've used the default High Speed 32MB card that comes with the camera. Buzz, if u think I got a bad camera, can you check my video files and let me know. I would appreciate it. I can send u the files of 2-3MB sizes. (which is just 1-2seconds movie).

I'm using an ordinary Sandisk 256mb card. Not even a high-speed card.

buzz
09-03-2004, 05:44 AM

If you are using the 32mb card that you got with the camera, it should do fine. Mine recorded movies ok. Can you post the movies somewhere and give me the link to them?

buzz

aeapen
09-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Sorry Buzz, I don't have any site to upload those 2-3MB files. If you have a yahoo account or someother email, I can send it to you. Another thing I noticed is if I save those raw files to .avi using Movie Maker, it takes out all the grains and reduces the file size. I can upload those .wmv files to my site. What do you do after recording a movie? Do you convert it using any software or use the raw file?

buzz
09-07-2004, 08:45 AM
I dont convert them to anything right away. I save them all in the original AVI format to a dvd and then later if I want to make a movies from different clips, I would use Adobe Premiere to cut and assemble the clips and then save them to mwv probably. Windows movie maker is pretty good too for a free program.

Jeff Keller
09-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Have you tried setting the ISO sensitivity to the lowest value? I think that's 50 on the S1.

aeapen
09-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Does ISO affect movie? As far as I know my ISO is set to default i.e. 50. By the way I got a good shot in a close up movie. I was surprised :eek: to see the difference. The grains was less in that movie, even though the background was dark. But still not as perfect as the sample movies in web sites. What other settings can I set to take a good movie :confused: ??? Please help... :(

aeapen
09-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Buzz, have to tried to copy this avi file to a dvd? If so, how is the clarity when you watch it in TV. Does it have a DV quality? I would like to know more of this... :o

buzz
09-08-2004, 12:59 PM
It will never be true DV quality( 720 x 480) where the S1 is only 640 x 480. "Near DV quality" would be a good description as far as the specs go. I have not been able to view the movies on a good TV yet. I am supposed to return to the US soon, so I will let ya know how they look when I get back :)

aeapen
09-30-2004, 02:20 AM
I've copied those .avi movies to VCD 2.0 format. It is 70% good as normal VCD's, to watch it in TV. But I never converted a movie as DVD format. Do you know what is the frame rate for DV quality movie? Is it more than 30fps?