PDA

View Full Version : a80 vs. DX7440

cashmier
08-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Hello everyone.

I broke my acient hp720 so i am looking for a new camera and i have narrowed it down to the Kodak DX7440 and the Canon Powershot A80. I read the reviews for both and it seems as though the a80 has more features but the kodak has higher quality images and is easier to use, and also lets you control the DOF. I was wondering which one you guys would suggest, they are both the same price where i am shopping (bestbuy) and its hard to decide. SO which would you go with?

speaklightly
08-19-2004, 07:06 AM
With the Canon A-80 being one of the largest sellers in the digital camera market, you cannot go wrong. It is excellent. However, if your objective is simplicity, then the Kodak DX-7440 shines brightly. The 7440 also produces great digital photos with lots of characteristic Kodak colors (nice blue skies and white clouds).

Both of these 4mp digital cameras are excellent and you could not go wrong with either of them. There is, in my humble estimation, one more camera you should take a good look at, because it is in the very same price range ($260 to $280). That would be the 5mp HP R707. The R707 is smaller, more compact, and has received excellent reviews. It produces excellent digital photos, it has in camera red eye removal and an excellent built-in help menu right on board the digital camera. It will even critique the digital photos that you have taken and offer suggestions to improve them. It is quite a digital camera

I personally own all three of these digital cameras, so if you would like to see some photo samples, I would be happy to send you some.

Sarah Joyce

jamison55
08-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Don't let Kodak fool you with marketing hype...the 7440 will actually give you less DOF control than the A80 as it has a smaller sensor (1/2.5 vs 1/1.8). The small sensor working in conjunction with the extremely short actual focal length means that it is almost impossible to use DOF to achieve the effects that most photographers want. If you are a landscape photographer, that's a good thing...you have almost limitless DOF, so no blurry distant mountains, but if you want portraits with a blurry background it will not happen with either of the two cameras!

cashmier
08-19-2004, 11:43 AM
alright, i did more research and i found out they stopped making the a80 and i called all the local shops and they are sold out and the average was about a month before they have the replacement so i think i'm going to get the kodak. The hp looks nice but I had a hp before and i wanna try another brand so i can figure out whcih is my favorite for the future.

-casey

yonco
09-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Don't let Kodak fool you with marketing hype...the 7440 will actually give you less DOF control than the A80 as it has a smaller sensor (1/2.5 vs 1/1.8). The small sensor working in conjunction with the extremely short actual focal length means that it is almost impossible to use DOF to achieve the effects that most photographers want. If you are a landscape photographer, that's a good thing...you have almost limitless DOF, so no blurry distant mountains, but if you want portraits with a blurry background it will not happen with either of the two cameras!
What's the Kodak DX7440's focal length? And what does that mean? Can you please give a wider explanation?
I own the DX7440 and have had a hard time creating pictures with blurry backgrounds using the camera's autofocus and also the aperture priority, setting a large aperture (small f/ number).
I'm with this camera now and I like it very much, though this is a big fault in the camera.
What camera that has better focal length and sensor size would you recommend, that will allow me to acheive this effect?

Thanks in advance! :)