PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 18-50 f2.8 arrived today.

jamison55
03-17-2005, 07:27 PM
I just got my new Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX today, and though I haven't had a chance to really test it yet, I thought I'd post a couple of 100% crops that I was able to snap off quickly in the parking lot this afternoon. I must say, that I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality of this lens. It is built like a tank, and the EX finish seems bulletproof.

The only other lens I had on hand was my Kit lens, but it certainly makes the new lens look good by comparison. All shots are 100% crops right out of the camera - no PS (except to place the comparison shots side by side). Don't pay too much attantion to the color, my WB was set wrong on the Canon shots, but the contrast and sharpness differences are certainly clear.

I'll try to take some more comparisons over the weekend. I'm sepecially interested to see how it stacks up against my Tamron 28-75...

F4

jamison55
03-17-2005, 07:31 PM
And at f8... the Canon gets a bit better, but still can't compete: (BTW - the canon lens is the same as in the last pic so it should say "canon 18-55 f3.5 to 5.6")

Mr. Peabody
03-17-2005, 07:47 PM
That's impressive.

I hope that new Tamron lens that I ordered today because of your recommendation does as good a job. :D

Bluedog
03-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Thats pretty amazing in difference. Do take more for us to see. Whats the camera your using?

TheObiJuan
03-17-2005, 07:58 PM
despite being soft, the WB really annoys me with canon lens pics.
thanks for posting this comparison. I have this lens on my list to purchase asap.
anyone wanna but the xt's kit lens?
:D

Mr. Peabody
03-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Is it a really fair comparison because the sigma lens is f/2.8 and the cannon lens is a f/3.5-5.6 and the other cannon lens is a f/4.5-5.6.

Being the novice that I am, I would expect a better quality photo with the f/2.8 lens.

jamison55
03-17-2005, 08:33 PM
That's impressive.

I hope that new Tamron lens that I ordered today because of your recommendation does as good a job. :D

My Tamron is at least as sharp, if not sharper - I'll know for sure when I shoot them side-by-side this weekend.

Whats the camera your using?

A Canon 20D

Is it a really fair comparison because the sigma lens is f/2.8 and the cannon lens is a f/3.5-5.6 and the other cannon lens is a f/4.5-5.6.

It is a fair comparison because I used the same settings on for both comparison shots (f4 vs f4/f8 vs f8). Just because a lens is f2.8 doesn't mean that it will give better results than a slower lens, it just means that I can use it in lower light without using a flash. Most lenses are at their sharpest around f8 (you can see that the Canon sharpened up quite a bit). I'd wager that the Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6L would beat the pants off of my Sigma...

Mr. Peabody
03-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Just asking because I trying to learn. Have patience with me. :)

jamison55
03-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Just asking because I trying to learn. Have patience with me. :)

I think the reply came across a little gruffer than I thought it in my head - my apologies :o . One weakness of the "written conversation", no non verbal cues to let you know my tone of voice. We are all still learning, so keep asking those great questions!

Mr. Peabody
03-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Seriously, I'm a beginner. I have no desire to be a professional photographer. I just want to take great pics of my kids playing outdoor and indoor sports.

I checked out your website btw, NICE!

I look to you and others for advice.

I can only wish to know how to use my 20D and accessories like you pros know how to.

That's why I keep reading all the posts and threads and learning everything that I can.

I really like those comparison shots that you and others post.

btw, I can come off as gruff sometimes. Ignore it. It's not intentional. :D

Mr. Peabody
03-21-2005, 06:38 PM
jamison55, have you had the chance to compare your new sigma lens with the Tamron 28-75mm yet?

btw, if you were so pleased with the Tamron, why did you buy the sigma? Just asking. I'm not being gruff with my question either. I'm just curious. :D

jamison55
03-22-2005, 12:42 AM
jamison55, have you had the chance to compare your new sigma lens with the Tamron 28-75mm yet?

btw, if you were so pleased with the Tamron, why did you buy the sigma? Just asking. I'm not being gruff with my question either. I'm just curious. :D

Sure did! Check this thread: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5937

I bought the Sigma because, as good as the Tamron is, there are times when I need to go wider. Since I shoot mostly weddings these days, I plan on using the Tamron during the ceremony, when I want a little more zoom, and the Sigma for the reception, where the wide is more needed.

GeorgeEL
05-24-2005, 10:48 PM
It is a fair comparison because I used the same settings on for both comparison shots (f4 vs f4/f8 vs f8). Just because a lens is f2.8 doesn't mean that it will give better results than a slower lens, it just means that I can use it in lower light without using a flash. Most lenses are at their sharpest around f8 (you can see that the Canon sharpened up quite a bit). I'd wager that the Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6L would beat the pants off of my Sigma...
ANSWER : Theoretically, you are right, it is a fair comparison. But, since most (rather all) manufacturers focus their utmost efforts on their f2.8 lenses, I would prefer a comparison between the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and e.g. the Tamron 20-40mm f2,7-xx . However, from your photos, it seems that this new Sigma is impressive!
regards,
George

TheObiJuan
05-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Howdy George!

Wilkommen.

How about the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 too?

An f/2.8 Lens will be sharper at f/4 than an f/4 lens because it is stopped down. This is even more incentive to purchase all f/2.8 or faster glass. ;)

Rex914
05-25-2005, 04:11 PM
I'd like to see some low-light, indoor shots. A lot of people on FM complaining particularly about the lens having trouble focusing in low light.

Right now, there aren't that many great ultra-wide, fast lenses (16-35L is too slow and too expensive). Both the primes and the zooms have had some trouble one way or another...

cwphoto
05-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Right now, there aren't that many great ultra-wide, fast lenses (16-35L is too slow and too expensive).

Too slow :confused:

How fast do you wanna go? It's already the fastest lens in it's class!!

Rhys
05-25-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm sold on the Sigma 18-50
I'm also keen on the Tokina 28 - 80 f2.8 or the Sigma 28 - 105 f2.8/4 and the Sigma 70 - 200 f2.8.

Anybody tried the latter three lenses?

jamison55
05-26-2005, 06:19 AM
I'd like to see some low-light, indoor shots. A lot of people on FM complaining particularly about the lens having trouble focusing in low light.

Until this weekend's dark cave of a reception I'd have said the low light focusing capabilities of the Sigma were fine. But it had a really hard time locking focus. To be fair, the light levels were just above candle-light, and all of my 2.8 zooms had a hard time (even the 80-200L), but the Sigma was slightly worse than the rest. My 1.8 primes had much less trouble.

I suspect it is because of the light that the various lenses let in. The Sigma was made for the smaller sensor of a DSLR and may actually let in less light than a lens that covers a larger medium...just a thought.

I learned a lesson, though. When venues are that dark I need to switch to the primes!

TheObiJuan
05-26-2005, 08:37 AM
And FTM for fastest results.

jamison55
05-26-2005, 08:53 AM
And FTM for fastest results.

Tried manual focus. This venue was so dark that I couldn't tell through the viewfinder when someone was in focus, so my manual shots came out worse than my AF shots.

TheObiJuan
05-26-2005, 09:04 AM
I have my 20D set to beep, so when I lock focusing usin' my thumb, the center AF point beeps. It makes it really easy to get sharp pics in low light rooms or outdoors.

jamison55
05-26-2005, 11:21 AM
I have my 20D set to beep, so when I lock focusing usin' my thumb, the center AF point beeps. It makes it really easy to get sharp pics in low light rooms or outdoors.

...yeah, except the camera has to know what is in focus in order to beep. The room was so dark that my camera couldn't tell!

ttmatsu
05-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Just read a thread on dpreview that the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 has a chip update to handle a problem with the 20d and external flash focus assist light:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=13529458