PDA

View Full Version : ...and once again, which to buy?

auradain
08-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Hello, I am new here. I am new to the digital photography world. And I feel like I've landed on a new planet.
My experience with researching this topic has been that as soon as I think I've made my final decision, I read something to sway me again (so many things to consider and reconsider!). :eek:
This is how it's gone: the 3 mg. Kodaks seemed fine, until a review stated to go with the Canon a-75 instead. Went to look at the Canon and became sold on the Olympus c-765(mainly because of the zoom -10x). I was even considering the Oly's much higher price, UNTIL... I learned that if you even take any of these out in the rain or mist, it will disintegrate or something. I'm booked on an Alaskan cruise in 10 days, and being the time of year that it is, it may very well rain a lot of the time. I am thinking of scrapping the digital thing altogether and sticking with my ancient Pentax KM and its duck-like ability to withstand the weather.
If I go back to the digital mode of thinking, is there a durable, rather inexpensive camera (up to 300 USD) with a great zoom (at least 10x) that would stand up to a sprinkle? 3 megapixels would be fine.
This can be so frustrating! I thank you in advance.

speaklightly
08-19-2004, 06:13 AM
If shooting in the rain is a priority, take a look at the 3mp Pentax 33WR or the 4mp Pentax 43WR. Either might work for you.

Sarah Joyce

David Metsky
08-19-2004, 08:15 AM
The Olympus 300 and 410 are also weather proof.

-dave-

auradain
08-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Thank you both for responding with your suggestions.
Well -
After spending who knows how long on the web, I'm down to the Fuji s5000. I know, don't bring it out in the rain. Drag. But I was sold on a zoom once I saw them in real life. And so I had to the chose one feature or the other.
oh well - like my friends have begun to say after getting a glimpse of my electronic-screen-sunken eyes, "it's just a camera!"
Thanks again. :cool:

D70FAN
08-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Thank you both for responding with your suggestions.
Well -
After spending who knows how long on the web, I'm down to the Fuji s5000. I know, don't bring it out in the rain. Drag. But I was sold on a zoom once I saw them in real life. And so I had to the chose one feature or the other.
oh well - like my friends have begun to say after getting a glimpse of my electronic-screen-sunken eyes, "it's just a camera!"
Thanks again. :cool:

Get the A75 and carry some zip-lock, zippered bags a large sandwich size should do. When you want to shoot in the rain and mist, just unzip, shoot through the opening and close. I have used this method for my Nikon 990 and now the D70 (bigger bag). It's cheap and portable.

speaklightly
08-21-2004, 08:12 PM
That is a great idea, George.

Sarah Joyce

auradain
08-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Thank you again, for your advice...
I love the idea of the baggie, George(if I may), and I will use your suggestions regardless of which digital ends up in my novice hands. I gather, though, that either you are not a fan of zoom lenses or more to the point, of Fuji cameras in general.
I am hesitant as well, as far as the Fuji brand goes (I even dislike their film) - but as I found the s5000 to feel really good in its grip, the zoom feature right there, and the price tag in particular - I'm ok with 3 megapixels as well - well.... - I did look at some sample photos of the Fuji and yes, they seem to have that purple fringe in a "blow up"...and yet, some have said to stay away from the a75 because it has horrible purple fringing.
In the next few days I'll be putting out that few hundred - don't know yet exactly which camera I'll end up with, but I can tell you one thing for sure, and that is that I'll be springing for another $2.79 to buy a box of baggies.
Thank you so much.
:)