PDA

View Full Version : Will any Prosumer or P&S Approach SLR Speed?

Cary1
03-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are currently use a Canon A70 which we like a great deal except for one thing, there is horrible shutter lag and slow focusing, which leads to many missed shots of our child. I have been looking for a new Digital, but have found all that one's I see have shutter lag and slow shot to shot.

Today, I went into Best Buy and looked at the new Canon Rebel XT. OMG :D a camera that works like my old Pentax SF-1!!! It was incredable, no shutter lag, instant focus (far better than my outdated SLR film camera) and even more impressive to me, was about a 1/2 second shot to shot time WITH the flash.

So my question is, can I get any prosumer or P&S that will approach these speed. I am willing to pay the money for the XT, but really would like a smaller body if possible. Also, I don't need more than 4 megapixels. That said, if I can't get the speed in a prosumer, I think I will buy the XT.

Thanks

D70FAN
03-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are currently use a Canon A70 which we like a great deal except for one thing, there is horrible shutter lag and slow focusing, which leads to many missed shots of our child. I have been looking for a new Digital, but have found all that one's I see have shutter lag and slow shot to shot.

Today, I went into Best Buy and looked at the new Canon Rebel XT. OMG :D a camera that works like my old Pentax SF-1!!! It was incredable, no shutter lag, instant focus (far better than my outdated SLR film camera) and even more impressive to me, was about a 1/2 second shot to shot time WITH the flash.

So my question is, can I get any prosumer or P&S that will approach these speed. I am willing to pay the money for the XT, but really would like a smaller body if possible. Also, I don't need more than 4 megapixels. That said, if I can't get the speed in a prosumer, I think I will buy the XT.

Thanks

The simple answer is no. Consumer dSLR's are the quickest digicams. The XT is just one of several in this price range, although most are a little larger and heavier (not a bad thing for dSLR's).

You might also want to look at:

Pentax *ist DS
Nikon D70
Olympus E-300

speaklightly
03-17-2005, 04:47 PM
The Canon Digital Rebel XT has a 1/100th of a second delay in the shutter release. You won't find that in most P&S digicams.

Sarah Joyce

Cary1
03-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Well I stopped by Costco on the way home and picked up a Rebel 300 to try out and see what my wife thought. She really likes compact cameras, especially the ability to use the screen as a viewfinder, but has been constantly complaining about, focus, shutter, and shot-to-shot lag. She played with the Rebel for about 1 minute and loves the speed. We will exchange it for the new XT, as she was already not liking how fast he buffer fills up on the 300 when rapid shooting. I have to say I am really impressed at the shot to shot time with the flash, less than 1 second. :eek:

D70FAN
03-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Well I stopped by Costco on the way home and picked up a Rebel 300 to try out and see what my wife thought. She really likes compact cameras, especially the ability to use the screen as a viewfinder, but has been constantly complaining about, focus, shutter, and shot-to-shot lag. She played with the Rebel for about 1 minute and loves the speed. We will exchange it for the new XT, as she was already not liking how fast he buffer fills up on the 300 when rapid shooting. I have to say I am really impressed at the shot to shot time with the flash, less than 1 second. :eek:

The great thing is that the 300D is the slowest of the bunch. Since Costco carries only Canon dSLR's you may never try the rest. Pitty...

Cary1
03-18-2005, 01:43 PM
I batted around the Nikon D70 (I still have a Nikon fetish from the F2 & F3 days), but size is important which is why I am looking at the XT. If I could find a prosumer that offered the same speed, I would buy it for the size.

Samuel Lo
03-18-2005, 06:09 PM
I batted around the Nikon D70 (I still have a Nikon fetish from the F2 & F3 days), but size is important which is why I am looking at the XT. If I could find a prosumer that offered the same speed, I would buy it for the size.

Yup, Canon XT is smaller than Rebel 300 and Nikon D70. For smaller size, you have to try Olympus's DSLR.

gary_hendricks
03-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Hi Cary1,

Unfortunnately, point and shoots do not have such great features.

If you want better performance but don't want to pay for a DSLR, consider the Panasonic Lumix FZ20 (http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz20-review.html). This is a great camera which has garnered many, many awards.

speaklightly
03-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Gary-
With all due repect, I object! The Panasonic FZ-20 CANNOT be compared to a dSLR. The Panasonic FZ-20 is limited to a maximum of ISO 400, and it will NEVER be able to create digital photos equaling those that are possible with a consumer dSLR using ISO 1600.

Just take a looki at these two digital photos, and you can see the very dramatic difference, look here please:

www.digicamlady.smugmug.com/gallery/441632

The first photo showiing a scene from seventy six trombones taken with a fixed lens digital camera is indeed entirely different from the folkloric photo that follows it. There is indeed a major difference between a fixed lens digital camera image versus a dSLR image. The difference is huge! Can't you see it?

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce

gary_hendricks
03-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi Sarah

Yes, I do agree that the FZ20 doesn't come close to a full DSLR.
Thanks for highlighting. :)

Cary1
03-19-2005, 12:56 PM
We are going to upgrade to the XT. I like the 300 and how it works, but my Wife is already exhausting the buffer (it took her one day to ask if there was anything that would take more than 4 shots in a row). The smaller size of the XT will be nice also.

D70FAN
03-19-2005, 05:51 PM
We are going to upgrade to the XT. I like the 300 and how it works, but my Wife is already exhausting the buffer (it took her one day to ask if there was anything that would take more than 4 shots in a row). The smaller size of the XT will be nice also.

I would love to say the XT is the best choice, but that doesn't seem to be the case.