PDA

View Full Version : A80 Successor?

JDR7171988
07-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Any comments?

jem
07-15-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm about to buy a Canon powershot A80 but I have a nagging doubt- it seems like the perfect camera except that: It's movie recording function is extremely primitive. Anyone know when a successor with better video is due to be released?

Raoul
07-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Video is one drawback on an otherwise excellent little point and shoot - but you really aren't buying it to shoot video now, are you ;) . A larger LCD (that still swivels, please!) would be nice as well (but its a preview screen, for crying out loud, not a TV). But I've been so happy with my A80 lately that I really don't see how you can go wrong by buying now, the camera is selling at rediculously low prices these days. If you wait for the perfect camera, you'll just wind up like I used to be - pictureless and overloaded with information on the best (and second best and third best....) cameras. You cannot go wrong with snagging an A80 and taking lots of shots - but - as soon as I hear anything about an upgrade to the A80, I'll post.

Jeff Keller
07-15-2004, 09:57 PM
I would not count on a fancy movie mode on the A80 replacement. And that's all I'm saying.

Jake Conner
07-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Can we have an annoucement date, at least? You usually give those...

Jake

Raoul
07-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Quite a few web sites internationally today indicating A80 is officially discontinued (altho nothing at Canon USA site to confirm its demise or a replacement model), Be$tBuy and CompUSA (among others) have pulled it from their online sites (or its "out of stock", probably for good) so get it somewhere while the gettin's good. Its not a bad little digicam at all, you can learn to use the menus and work around documented issues with white balance and slight chromatic abberrations, they can be easily adjusted out, and you'll feel like a pro in the process. Probably the best P&S digicam you can find right now for $200-$250US. Happy snappin'! :)

Raoul
07-23-2004, 12:51 PM
OK, a friend's brother-in-law who works at Canon (what solid connections I've got!) has divulged the A80 is still around, still being produced and sold, scheduled to be enhanced (replaced) this fall. He works there, that's enough for me. A80 still a good value if you don't mid that it's last year's technology. Keep in mind as new models are introduced this Fall that the Powershot A85 (already announced, but with no swivel LCD and smaller CCD sensor than A80) is not really the upgrade to the A80 - Canon specifically calls it an "upgrade to the ... A70." The brother-in-law implies the upgrade to the A80 will rock, but we'll have to wait a little longer. Just thought you might want to know... ;)