PDA

View Full Version : Have specific requirements - need help selecting camera

Jonathan Markiles
08-18-2004, 04:37 PM
I have the following specific requirements (in order of importance) Would appreciate if I could get some expert advice on which cameras to consider.

1. I will be shooting close up's of very small objects (such as buttons, labels, and hang tags on clothing) - still pictures only - but need to focus in close up.

2. Camera needs to be small and compact

3. Camera needs to do well in limited light WITHOUT flash

4. Shots will be shown on website in thumbnail format as well as blown up to about 480 x 360. But will not ever need to print them, so I assume I dont need a 5 MP.

5. Do not need video capture, red-eye, or any action photo capabilities.

If anyone knows of cameras that meet this requirement, please advise.

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Rhys
08-18-2004, 04:59 PM
I have the following specific requirements (in order of importance) Would appreciate if I could get some expert advice on which cameras to consider.

1. I will be shooting close up's of very small objects (such as buttons, labels, and hang tags on clothing) - still pictures only - but need to focus in close up.

2. Camera needs to be small and compact

3. Camera needs to do well in limited light WITHOUT flash

4. Shots will be shown on website in thumbnail format as well as blown up to about 480 x 360. But will not ever need to print them, so I assume I dont need a 5 MP.

5. Do not need video capture, red-eye, or any action photo capabilities.

If anyone knows of cameras that meet this requirement, please advise.

Many thanks,

Jonathan

For low light and no flash you really need a support such as a tripod. That's possible. Close-focussing is a Nikon speciality. As far as pocket size goes, the Nikon 2100, 2200, 3100, 3200 seem to fit the bill. Be aware though that colour can degrade as the ISO increases.