PDA

View Full Version : Team pictures????

actionshots
03-15-2005, 04:38 PM
:confused: Remember Me... I am Betsy, the overwhelmed newbie. Anyway- I have two questions.
1. I just received my new Nikon D70 with the high speed flash and a few filters. The problem- I ordered this from a business in New York and they sent me the wrong lense. I was supposed to get the Nikkor lense that comes with the kit and instead I got a sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6. They will gladly send me the correct lense but suggested that I try the sigma first. They say it is a much better lense. This is not the lense that I will be using for action photography but an everyday lense. I just don't have enough experience to compare this lense to...... What do you think- keep it or swap back?
2. I knew this would happen. I have not spent my first day on the job with my camera and have already been asked to take youth league baseball pictures(team and indidvidual)(Approximately 450 kids). Can I do this with my d70? What type lense would I need? What type of setup on shoot day do I need. The people who did it last year had nothing but a table and a camera. No fancy equipment. I already own photoshop CS so I could use that for editing/enhancing/layout purposes. What are your suggestions?

Thank-you so much--Betsy :)

D70FAN
03-15-2005, 06:05 PM
:confused: Remember Me... I am Betsy, the overwhelmed newbie. Anyway- I have two questions.
1. I just received my new Nikon D70 with the high speed flash and a few filters. The problem- I ordered this from a business in New York and they sent me the wrong lense. I was supposed to get the Nikkor lense that comes with the kit and instead I got a sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6. They will gladly send me the correct lense but suggested that I try the sigma first. They say it is a much better lense. This is not the lense that I will be using for action photography but an everyday lense. I just don't have enough experience to compare this lense to...... What do you think- keep it or swap back?
2. I knew this would happen. I have not spent my first day on the job with my camera and have already been asked to take youth league baseball pictures(team and indidvidual)(Approximately 450 kids). Can I do this with my d70? What type lense would I need? What type of setup on shoot day do I need. The people who did it last year had nothing but a table and a camera. No fancy equipment. I already own photoshop CS so I could use that for editing/enhancing/layout purposes. What are your suggestions?

Thank-you so much--Betsy :)

Yup they have tried to hood-wink you. They know that you would not know this cheap lens from golf balls. The Sigma 18-50 is a $100 lens, and not even close to the Nikon kit lens. Demand the original Nikkor 18-70 DX which sells for more than 3 times the price of the Sigma.

Don't get me wrong, Sigma makes some very good lenses (I use the 18-125 DC) but the 18-50 is not one of them.

The D70 will do a great job of group and portraiture, but for 450 kids, I hope they are paying you for your time, because that's a heck of a lot of work. You might want to invest in a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (about $110-$130) for the portraits and do a little practicing with the family first. ;) You will also need a tripod, and maybe the IR remote control.