PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Coolpix 5200 - am I paranoid?

aix123
08-18-2004, 12:17 PM
I've just bought a Nikon Coolpix 5200 (my first digicam) and am very happy with it (though I've only had it a few days!).

Just wondered what you guys thought about something I spotted about the LCD:

my Nikon, and also many others I've seen on photos of Nikon digicams on
internet reviews seems to have a strange (well strangish) thing about them, especially considering the unbelievable high standard of its build quality:

the viewable area in the LCD window does not seem to be quite centered, although imporantly you can see the whole shot viewable area, if you know what I mean, i.e. no corners or edges area blocked by the metal housing. I'm a paranoid perfectionist (!) so am probably worrying unecessarily.
The viewable area/picture in the LCD window is level, but has more of a gap on the right hand side (i.e. between the edge of the picture and the edge of the metal housing which surrounds the LCD) than it does on the left. To make myself perhaps appear even more fussy I have to say that though noticeable, the left gap is about half a millimeter, while the right gap is easily one millimeter. I may not be explaining this well at all! I think I'm worrying
unecessarily, especially as I can see the whole shot on the LCD, and it has absolutely no effect on the performance of the camera. And other Nikons seem to be the same.

Any comments/advice appreciated. Perhaps I should get out more! let me know...

Jake Conner
08-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Yeah, maybe you should get out more... I mean, if you're that worried about attention to detail, save your pennies and buy a Digilux 2! Certainly, at least not a Nikon consumer product. Canon's industrial design seems better.

Jake

aix123
08-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Fair point Jake.

Although I'm sure my 'Nikon consumer product' and I will have many a happy day together. Perhaps you are right, I can't really expect absolute perfection for that price. The gap is irrelevant at the end of the day, though not irrelevant from an aesthetic point of view!

aix123
08-18-2004, 04:19 PM
BTW Jake, if the Digilux 2 takes photos as good as this, then I may consider getting one...

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=381787