PDA

View Full Version : good choice?

kasirah
08-18-2004, 11:12 AM
I am looking into purchasing a D70 for the company I work at. My question is, for people other than me who will be using it--are the automatic modes fairly 'dummy' proof like a point and shoot? I personally know how to use a SLR and what the functions mean and do and will be the primary user, but most of the people I work with do not. We need it for both web work and also color magazine print work.

I also thought I read something about something not being compatible with PhotoshopCS??? Any insight on this?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

D70FAN
08-18-2004, 11:43 AM
I am looking into purchasing a D70 for the company I work at. My question is, for people other than me who will be using it--are the automatic modes fairly 'dummy' proof like a point and shoot? I personally know how to use a SLR and what the functions mean and do and will be the primary user, but most of the people I work with do not. We need it for both web work and also color magazine print work.

I also thought I read something about something not being compatible with PhotoshopCS??? Any insight on this?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

My wife picked up the D70 and started shooting in "auto" mode and remarked on how easy it was. "Just like my Sony". was the remark (as I winced). My 82 year old mom could use the D70 in auto. It only requires 1 eye and a right index finger (even a middle finger would work).

As to the second statement...What??? This statement may have been back when everyone was waiting for the new PSCS RAW (NEF) plug-in. That's ancient history and the plug-in works great.

Other than that item Photoshop is very camera/scanner independent, so I can't imagine anyone making that statement.

If you liked your film SLR, the D70 will knock your socks off...

kasirah
08-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think the CS comment was from an original review when the camera just came out and I hadn't researched with Adobe on that yet. I have used Nikon SLRs since I was a Freshman in high school when I bought my first and still actually use the same one to this day, so I generally lean to the Nikons. I am just a newbie to the digital SLRs though.

D70FAN
08-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think the CS comment was from an original review when the camera just came out and I hadn't researched with Adobe on that yet. I have used Nikon SLRs since I was a Freshman in high school when I bought my first and still actually use the same one to this day, so I generally lean to the Nikons. I am just a newbie to the digital SLRs though.

If your film Nikon is fairly recent (N series), you should be able to use the AF lenses with a D70 as well. Older manual lenses can be used, but they are still manual, and IX lenses don't work at all.

As you may know dSLR's (except for the Canon 1Ds and the Kodak pro/n) use a focal length conversion of 1.5:1 (or 1.6:1 for the Canon EOS 300D) to compensate for the smaller APS-C sized image sensor. This means that the sensor is smaller than 35mm film by a that factor.

The good news is that your $100 AF 50mm f1.8 is now a $350 75mm f1.8 protrait lens. The bad news is that to get a 27mm wide angle lens you need to buy an 18mm bottom end focal length. The old 28-200 is now 42-300. So if you like telephoto you get a free 1.5X multiplier, if you like wide angle and super wide angle the pickens get fairly slim (and expensive).

Let us know how it goes.