PDA

View Full Version : Camera for document imaging

Asenchi
08-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Hello,

I am looking for a camera that can take pictures as fast as I can click. I have thousands of documents that I need to shoot and am looking for a camera that can do this. Preferably with a good bit of memory and also battery life.

Thanks for any information. I am new to digital cameras, so I am not sure of even what I am looking for in regards to these needs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Asenchi

judge9847
08-18-2004, 08:42 AM
If your intention is to record the documents such that you will need to read their contents at some stage in the future then I'd suggest you have to think again. A digital camera, even the very top end digital SLRs - or even a high end film camera - is unlikely to help.

From my own experience (within the last 3 years) with many tens of thousands of physical documents of all sorts that were needed to be created electronically for a retrieval system, the only way is to use professional Optical Character Recognition equipment that can scan the documents, create an image and then, if appropriate (searching for text strings for instance) create the necessary text from them. That is the quickest and frankly, the cheapest option in the long term and will produce you accurate results.

Be warned, if that's what you want, then it is a very, very expensive option. You should consider using a bureaux or a company who does such a thing professionally.

If however your intention is simply to record the documents for posterity, without due attention as to what they contain, then very probably, given your need for speed, a digital SLR is the answer. There are many people on this site who should guide you with an option or two.