PDA

View Full Version : using 28-80mm on XT???

stonehill
03-14-2005, 10:52 AM
I recently bought the Rebel XT with the kit lens. Would I want to use my old fillm rebel lense which is Canon EF 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6?
What would the benefit be?

As you can see, I dont know very much about lenses. These are the only two I own-at least until Christmas, LOL

Thank you

jamison55
03-14-2005, 11:19 AM
You have it, why not use it! The main benefit that I can see is that your old lens gives you a bit more zoom than the kit lens. With the 1.6 crop you now can reach out to 128mm Equiv (vs the 85mm of the kit lens)...

stonehill
03-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for your quick reply. When I just now tried the lens on, that is what I noticed, which got me excited as this weekend I was wishing I had more zoom.

Would that be the better lens to use for my everyday use compared to the 18-55?

Also, my sons last basketball game is this Saturday. Would I be better off with the 28-80 due to more reach? Also, Would you suggest P mode ISO 800 and no flash for the game or something else.

Thanks again

jamison55
03-14-2005, 12:02 PM
As far as day to day goes, it really depends upon whether you find yourself wanting more zoom or more wide. When I first started, I wanted as much telephoto as I could possibly get, and gravitated towards zooms. I now find that I am wishing for more on the wide end, and just purchased a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 to satisfy this need. Buy a bag that can hold both lenses, and you won't have to choose!

For the BBall game, I would recommend cranking the ISO all the way up to 1600, and keeping the flash off. The on-camera flash is not powerful enough to illuminate your son across the BBall court, so it is useless in this application. Since the action is likely to be moving quickly, it is important to achieve as fast a shutter speed as possible, and since your lenses are a little on the slow side, you'll need to bump your ISO. If I were in your situation, I'd probably go for AV mode with the widest aperture selected. Make sure you have the AI Servo option selected, so that the camera can track the focus, and try some high speed shutter bursts. You'll fill up your memory card much faster, but you'll have more of a chance of capturing the action! Also, bring a piece of white paper, so that you can manually set the white balance to the color temperature of the gym. Have fun, good shooting...and make sure to post your results. A bunch of folks here are curious about the real world performance of the XT!

stonehill
03-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Thanks so much!

I thinks I have it... Use the EF 28-80mm lens, AV mode, widest aperture (which I believe is 5.6 with these lenses) ISO at 1600, and Al servo focus.

Any thoughts on AF point. Right now I took it off the 7 point AF and have it on center AF point. As far as metering goes it is on evaluative mode.

Thanks again