PDA

View Full Version : Will the Tamron 28-75 zoom work with a D70?

nick_the_guy
03-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Hi, I'm confused by the statement from www.photo.net:

"Matrix, center weighted, and spot metering are available with all CPU based AF lenses. In the D70 NO METERING, is possible with non-CPU lenses. This is a little different from some nikon bodies that only remove matrix metering, while still allowing center weighted and spot metering in manual mode."

This is from http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D70/ under the section "The F-Mount and Lens Compatibility".

To make a long story short, I'm considering buying a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 zoom and a Nikon D70. The reason why I'm choosing the D70 over a Digital Rebel is because it doesn't have spot metering (which I will need for concert photography). But this review says I can't use any metering??? Can someone clear this up for me?

DownByFive
03-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah, it'll work fine. The 28-75mm is actually designed for DSLRs in mind. As far as I know, there aren't any newer lenses that won't work with the D70 (assuming they're Nikon mount, of course). If you buy some used lenses that are kinda old, the metering may not work, and you'll have to use a meter or just make an educated guess. But like I said, the lens you want will work fine, metering and all.

sherlock
03-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Hey,

Yea, metering will work fine with that lens, and you shouldn't have any problems. I have the same problems somtimes with websites explaining compatibility, it's so confusing! :confused: Just remember though, that 28-75 becomes 42-112.5 on your D70, because of the smaller sensor size compared to 35mm film.

Andrew S.

D70FAN
03-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi, I'm confused by the statement from www.photo.net:

"Matrix, center weighted, and spot metering are available with all CPU based AF lenses. In the D70 NO METERING, is possible with non-CPU lenses. This is a little different from some nikon bodies that only remove matrix metering, while still allowing center weighted and spot metering in manual mode."

This is from http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D70/ under the section "The F-Mount and Lens Compatibility".

To make a long story short, I'm considering buying a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 zoom and a Nikon D70. The reason why I'm choosing the D70 over a Digital Rebel is because it doesn't have spot metering (which I will need for concert photography). But this review says I can't use any metering??? Can someone clear this up for me?

If the lens has AF on it, then it is probably considered a CPU based lens. The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 will work just fine.