PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic DMC LC-1 Issues

josealopez
08-18-2004, 07:07 AM
I have read a review of the Panasonic DMC LC-1 and have looked at both the Panasonic and the Leica Digilux 2 which are referred to as 'twins'. I have a couple of questions:

1. When I visited a store to look at and 'feel' the Leica and the Panasonic, I noticed that the Electric View Finder (EVF) works differently in manual mode for the two cameras. The Leica magnifies the whole EVF screen to help in manually setting the focus distance while the Panasonic magnifies only a box within the EVF for manual focusing. I did not get a good look at either since the memory card was missing and the EVF was constantly blinking with the warning that a memory card was not plugged in. That notwithstanding, it did seem to be less shaky and easier to focus on the Panasonic with the small box magnified than on the Leica. And this did seem to reduce the downside of the criticisms of the EVF which the Leica has endured in reviews. My question: is this so? Do you also find the Panasonic to be better to manually focus?

2. My other question is: Are there other differences between the two cameras (other than the small differences in the shape of the cameras)? I have heard that the picture quality from the Panasonic may not be as good as that of the Leica (even though they both have the same Leica lens) because Leica has better software in its camera or better quality control after manufacturing or something. Can you comment on that?

Any information you could provide on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

John_Reed
08-18-2004, 07:40 AM
I have read a review of the Panasonic DMC LC-1 and have looked at both the Panasonic and the Leica Digilux 2 which are referred to as 'twins'. I have a couple of questions:

1. When I visited a store to look at and 'feel' the Leica and the Panasonic, I noticed that the Electric View Finder (EVF) works differently in manual mode for the two cameras. The Leica magnifies the whole EVF screen to help in manually setting the focus distance while the Panasonic magnifies only a box within the EVF for manual focusing. I did not get a good look at either since the memory card was missing and the EVF was constantly blinking with the warning that a memory card was not plugged in. That notwithstanding, it did seem to be less shaky and easier to focus on the Panasonic with the small box magnified than on the Leica. And this did seem to reduce the downside of the criticisms of the EVF which the Leica has endured in reviews. My question: is this so? Do you also find the Panasonic to be better to manually focus?

2. My other question is: Are there other differences between the two cameras (other than the small differences in the shape of the cameras)? I have heard that the picture quality from the Panasonic may not be as good as that of the Leica (even though they both have the same Leica lens) because Leica has better software in its camera or better quality control after manufacturing or something. Can you comment on that?

Any information you could provide on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,I don't have an LC-1, but in an on-line article (http://www.photo.net/equipment/leica/digilux2/), the man says:
"Outside of ISO speed, there are 4 main “digital” image controls for JPEG shooting (they have no effect on RAW files). Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness can be set to “Std.”, “Low” or “High”. And apparently this is the sole difference (except cosmetics) between the Leica and Panasonic cameras - the Panasonic’s settings are all a bit ‘higher’ than the Leica’s."